Notary Rotary
Printer Question
Notary Discussion History

Printer Question
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by TraceyFD/VA on 8/28/09 1:55pm
Msg #302152

Printer Question

I'm hoping people can give me some advice. I'm having lots of printer problems. I have a Dell Laser 5100cn. The first three years I had it, I was in LOVE with my printer. Lately, I've started having lots of problems with it. Most recently it went DOWN on month end closing, causing me big problems. (Yes, I have a backup printer and have access to Kinkos, but they are not always economical or feasible options depending on size of package and when packages arrive, etc.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a new printer since Dell has essentially confirmed that it sold me a piece of sketti that was only intended to last a couple of years, even though it costs a boatload. Who has a printer that they love, that's fast, and yet low in cost to keep in going? I'm sure my needs are probably the same as everyone else's:

Color not mandatory -- will go with it if is cost effective but do have other options
Dual tray - use letter, legal, and a little A4
Duplex not necessary
Very fast
Can handle 10,000 pages each month without being a strain on the system
Laser
Don't go into sticker shock or have to take out a loan every time buy toner
Won't make me have heart failure when I see the cost of the machine
Work horse that doesn't break down cause you look at it wrong

Anyone out there have some suggestions?

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/28/09 2:00pm
Msg #302154

I actually purchased a refurbished HP LaserJet 4200dtn from Cartridge World and I love it. I average 12000 pages per cartridge. The refill is about $62.00 and I get the refills at Cartridge World. It has a duel tray, black and white print and about 33 ppm. I love it.

Reply by TraceyFD/VA on 8/28/09 2:06pm
Msg #302156

That sounds great. I looked at a refurbished machine once, but was afraid I was purchasing old problems. So, you haven't had any problems with your machine? May I ask, how long have you had it? (The cost of ownership sounds great, BTW. I spend $53 per toner cartridge and get about 5,000 pages.)

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/28/09 2:23pm
Msg #302162

I haven't had any problems with mine. It prints great, and no paper jams. When I initially set it up, something seemed wrong and the owner of Cartridge World came to my house and fixed it. I have read many other messages on this forum for cartrdges at better prices, but I'm just comfortable with CW. I fill 10 and get one free. It works for me. Good luck with whatever printer you choose.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/28/09 2:05pm
Msg #302155

I have a Kyocera 3900 that has never given me

any ptoblems. Over 200,000 poges to date.
If you are doing 10K/mo, suggest you look into buying
whichever one you decide from a dealer, as opposed to a big box,
on line etc.
Might also be able to lease with an option to buy at end of lease.
You might to be able to work out a toner/on site service agreement
I get all on site service AND toner delivered free for less than $0.01/page.
Don't have to worry about running out, refilling, buying off brand toner, etc.
Good luck.

Reply by TraceyFD/VA on 8/28/09 2:07pm
Msg #302159

Re: I have a Kyocera 3900 that has never given me

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/09 6:29pm
Msg #302186

If you use the orange search button, you will find that printers are discussed a lot. Many of us are using Brother or HP machines. I ended up with a Brother HL-5250DNT. I bought it new so I could get an extended warranty. Many of these machines were not built for the kind of volume we print.
I'm in a position to need them to replace it if I have a problem. I also need the tech support.
Brother has since come out with a machine that is built for higher capacity. The last time I checked remanufactured toner cartridges were not available for that model yet.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/29/09 2:00am
Msg #302233

Problem with the Brother printers, though, is that you end up with the expense of drum replacement every so often. Many other printers have the drum right in the cartridge, so you have a new one every time you change a cartridge.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/29/09 9:32am
Msg #302255

Yes, that was my thinking, too. I avoided Brother for a long time. I can get the drums from LD Products. They're not expensive & as easy to replace as the toner. Overall, it's just as cost-effective, IMO.

Reply by TraceyFD/VA on 8/29/09 5:10pm
Msg #302278

That I did not know about. Thanks for the tip. I didn't replace the drum kit in my Dell for the first 2 years. Now, I'm replacing it about every 2-3 months. I'd just assumed that it was just part of the process. It never occurred to me that some companies might have the drum in the cartridge. Guess that explains why the HP cartridges are much bigger and more expensive.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/29/09 7:27am
Msg #302240

Tracey, no way would a color printer be cost-effective for printing loan docs - go with a B&W laser.

I just bought a used HP 1320 for on EBAY for my son to use at college. The page count was less than 3,000 pages printed. Cost me $60 plus $20 shipping. Of course you'd probably want to find one that comes with a dual tray, but a lot of notaries use this printer. And then of course you would have to buy memory to add to it.

I myself use an HP 2430tn and love it. I buy cartridges at LDProducts.com - the 1320 cartridge is $70 and rated for 6,000 pages. The 2430 cartridge is $60 and rated for 12,000 pages, but I usually get about 9,000 pages out of it when printing loan docs.

Reply by Richard Ingram on 8/29/09 5:41pm
Msg #302281

I have an HP 2430dtn that I bought new 2 years ago. I also have an HP 1320dtn that did give me some problems which led me to the more expensive 2430dtn. I took the advice of my techie who has built 4 computers for me and have had no problems in the past 2 years.
I have only used OEM cartridges but have just purchased refills from Cartridge Work and InkSell which I will try out soon.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.