Notary Rotary
Problem w/ Harry & NotRot in need of member support
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 8/18/09 12:18pm
Msg #300602

Yesterday I posted that a local area notary had stolen my copyrighted text and pasted it in her NotRot profile. I have emailed Harry five times to correct the problem because the smart a$$ relitter/notary refuses to make changes to her profile. Harry has NOT responded to my requests and today I find the he has removed my post from yesterday asking why nothing has been done.

I am a long standing, paying member of this site and I believe Harry should do something about this just as Active Rain has done. Active Rain, to which I am a non-paying member, takes copyright infringement seriously and demanded the relitter/notary remove the copyrighted content or her profile would be deleted and guess what? The MoMo took down the copied text.

Now, here I am, Harry, in need of your assistance and you don't even have the common courtesy to respond to my requests. Let me remind you, Harry and members of this board, my FREE listing on AR outranks my PAID profile on NotRot when using google, bing and yahoo by TWO PAGES!!!

Harry, it's time to do something about this...at least respond to my request. Your members deserve more respect.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/18/09 12:38pm
Msg #300608

Deleted for "Advertising"? I guess this one will also

be deleted as you mentioned Active Rain.

Active Rain the trigger? Active Rain????

Active Rain?

Reply by Becca_FL on 8/18/09 1:39pm
Msg #300622

Re: Deleted for "Advertising"? I guess this one will also

Advertising????? My Arse. If Harry did as good of a job handling copyright infringement as AR does, I wouldn't feel the need to mention AR. Still waiting for an answer, Harry.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 8/18/09 1:42pm
Msg #300623

Copyriight infringement very difficult and expensive to

prosecute. I can't blame harry for this. you need to be vigiland a nd jump on anyone who does this but the possibility of actually getting this settled is difficult and Harry may run the risk of abridgement of the freedom os speech. I'm sure that the attorneys on this site can give greater clarity regarding this, I am nto an attorney and the opoinoin is solely mine and not qualified.

I believe that copyright defense is the responsibility of the author and not Harry's!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/09 1:49pm
Msg #300624

Re: Copyriight infringement very difficult and expensive to

That's my take on the situation also. If you're claiming "copyright infringement" that is a legal matter. How can NotRot be caught in a situation between two paying members & choose which one to side with? I also think yesterday's post might have been deleted because of some derrogatory references to Harry. I'm not saying that what's going on is right, only that it isn't NR responsibility to correct it.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/18/09 1:54pm
Msg #300628

Becca, I feel that it's your word against the other notary's

word. How can Harry be certain who the original author is? Is the notary in your territory? Maybe pay her a visit and talk to her nicely and let her know how you feel. : ) I don't think Harry is deliberately ignoring you. It usually takes several weeks for me to get a response from the admin team. I think they are really that busy. By the way, what's the notary name and address. Maybe if we all just stare at her at the same time she'll get uncomfortable, and peer pressure will make her do the right thing.

Disclaimer: This is not a threat. I am no advocating any violence in any shape or form.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/18/09 2:05pm
Msg #300629

Here's the problem as I see it...

<<<I have emailed Harry five times to correct the problem because the smart a$$ relitter/notary refuses to make changes to her profile. Harry has NOT responded to my requests...>>>

This is absolutely unacceptable [in my book]. To be ignored is an INSULT and to be a paying member and be ignored is a GREATER insult. Becca's inquiry needs to be acknowledged....this forum is not "too busy" to take her money why are they too busy to respond to or at least acknowledge her concern? Besides the outdated profile issue not being resolved and a few others issues such as companies coded only for certain states, this is one MORE reason why I will not upgrade to premier member. You won't get my money and ignore me.

Reply by Becca_FL on 8/18/09 2:33pm
Msg #300639

Re: Becca, I feel that it's your word against the other notary's

The proof is on my website, the proof is on her profile, both current and the profile I printed out last week. Harry IS obligated to do something about this, IMO, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

For more information see this http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10/what-do-you-do-when-someone-steals-your-content/

And, yes, I am miffed that Harry can't seem to pick up a phone or send an email responding to my complaint. AR responded and took care of the situation within hours. It has now been a week and not a peep out of Harry. I'm very disappointed in Harry's lack of professionalism.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/18/09 2:42pm
Msg #300642

LKT/CA hit the nail on the head. The problem as she sees it is right on and is what was posted by Becca:

"Harry, it's time to do something about this...at least respond to my request. Your members deserve more respect"

Harry has not responded. That is the issue at this point. At least at this point. Once that happens further discussion can transpire.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/18/09 3:05pm
Msg #300649

NR should respond to paying members. n/m

Reply by mwm143 on 8/18/09 4:22pm
Msg #300658

And again the lack of response to multiple listings

There is a signing agent with 3 different free listings (Name, Company Name and Company initials) in the same travel area, different zip codes. It was brought to the attention of NR, acknowledged it was against their policy and that 2 of the 3 listings would be removed immediately.

Definition of immediately: In NOT less than 60 days...and counting.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/18/09 4:24pm
Msg #300659

NR should respond to ALL members. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/18/09 4:31pm
Msg #300661

Agreed. n/m

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 8/18/09 7:46pm
Msg #300703

Agreed, not like them to ignore the members

I have on more than one occasion found multiple listings, or SS listings in places they don't belong, and Harry has removed them in a timely manner. Your situation is somewhat different, but still warrants some kind of response. This is not like Harry... Come on Harry, don't let us down!

Reply by Becca_FL on 8/18/09 8:27pm
Msg #300707

Shelia, you are so correct and that's what is ticking me off

Harry used to "be there" for his members, but lately he seems to be missing in action. This really makes me wonder if he has left this little venture to Griff to deal with and he and Tracy have moved on to bigger and better things. The "old" Harry I knew and corresponded with would never treat a member this way....I just don't get it. I can tell you this though, if the offending notary did the same thing on the numbers site, I would have gotten a response from J by now, I just know it.

I know many members here remember the day when NotRot was the dead forum and Keith's forum was #1. Shoot, back then even the FL board had more action than NotRot. I would hate to think that Harry is comfortable turning his back on the people that made this site what it is today. He just might want to ask Kieth how he's doing these days.

This is a very sad way to do business, Harry.

Reply by KODI/CA on 8/18/09 10:09pm
Msg #300714

Re: Shelia, you are so correct and that's what is ticking me off n/m

Reply by KODI/CA on 8/18/09 10:09pm
Msg #300715

Becca

Maybe Harry is just tired of the "nasty five" and in this way may hope you go away.

Reply by Louis/AZ on 8/18/09 11:44pm
Msg #300730

...wow, lots of ruffled feathers in this hen house. *boc boc boc* NaNa

Reply by Harry [NR] on 8/19/09 12:00am
Msg #300731

Becca, you are entirely right, our members deserve more respect. Your Notary Rotary account is hereby terminated.

Throughout the many years you have been a "paying" member, you have generally been absolutely vile. We have record of more than 20 paying customers who have left the Notary Rotary community due specifically to your lack of professionalism, disrespect, and incessant attacks. Some of the complaints we've received regarding your behavior have been well-written, thoughtful accounts detailing a shameless history of nastiness; others have been less tactful in-kind commentary colored with lovely adjectives on-par with some of your most pointed forum insults.

To date, I have been willing to tolerate your extreme lack of professionalism, disdain and disrespect for your peers, and chronically distasteful behavior because of my belief that everyone is entitled to their opinions. This position has come at a price. In addition to the countless members you have single-handedly driven away in what some interpret to be a deliberate and malicious attempt to poison our community, I have been at odds with our own staff over whether to allow your "corrosive personality" (in their words) to remain a fixture of our on-line existence.

I'm done. You are no longer welcome here. You evidently were not insightful enough to interpret my silent response to your "copyright infringement" demands for what it was: an acknowledgement of your hypocrisy and cowardice in the face of an issue that is squarely your own. You belittle our members, damage our business, and then come crying to me over what you perceive to be some injustice rather than "manning-up" and taking care of it yourself.

Like Charles very astutely pointed out, it is not our place to resolve your copyright issues. I am not in a position to determine what was copied from where, from whom, at what time, who had what first and in what form, nor whether copyright law even applies. My position should have been self-evident, even to the purely self-interested, and, if not clear at first, should have crystallized after your initial volley of insults.

So, I leave you to your notary network and the third-party sites you've been plugging. Based on your testimony, it sounds as though you'll do quite well without us. Although we do not offer membership refunds due to the nature of our benefits, I will make an exception in your case and will refund the full $59 you paid for your current 1-year membership. The refund will be made using PayPal. Please use the Contact Us form to let us know where you would like that refund directed.

Harry

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/09 2:12pm
Msg #300863

Morale of the story: don't bite the hand that feeds you! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.