Notary Rotary
Ran into my first roach-infested signing yesterday
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by SharonH/OH on 8/14/09 10:25am
Msg #299982

Aside from the initial disgust, it was like something off a TV sitcom -- each borrower had a flyswatter, and every now and then when one of the little critters ran past, one of them would pick up the flyswatter and THWACK! Nobody, including me, said a word, like this was all normal behavior, and the signing continued. Very disconcerting, but funny in retrospect. And yes, I spent the rest of the day making sure I hadn't brought any home with me.

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/14/09 10:29am
Msg #299984

YUK!! You would think that someone living in that kind of environment would ask you to meet them somewhere else. I don't understand how we go to some of these closings and people's houses are disgusting. There are dirty dishes all over, floors have dust bunnies that I'm afraid of and spider webs in every corner. At least clean up and make it look good for a day.

Reply by Cari on 8/14/09 10:29am
Msg #299985

AHHHHH DAMNNNNNN.....YUCK, ICKY, EWWWWW... n/m

Reply by sjp on 8/14/09 10:33am
Msg #299987

Re: AHHHHH DAMNNNNNN.....YUCK, ICKY, EWWWWW...

I would have to leave.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/09 10:33am
Msg #299988

Don't know how those critters are near you Sharon

but down here at first sighting I'd be out the door....those things here are big enough to carry my briefcase out the door, put it in my car trunk and open my car door for me!!

Seeing one I'll tolerate....it happens....if borrowers have to sit there armed and ready..well, I think it's time to move the signing location - there NO guarantee you DIDN'T bring something home with you.

Ugh

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/09 10:34am
Msg #299990

But I should add...

Kudos to you for being a trooper and sticking it out!!

Reply by Cari on 8/14/09 10:35am
Msg #299991

I agree with Linda H/FL....you deserve a medal for bravery! n/m

Reply by sjp on 8/14/09 10:52am
Msg #299995

Re: I agree with Linda H/FL....you deserve a medal for bravery!

You are much braver than I am.

Reply by bahama on 8/14/09 10:52am
Msg #299996

Re: I agree with Linda H/FL....you deserve a medal for bravery!

Had one a few years back. I kept seeing something out of the corner of my eye on my pants, looked down and the roaches were having a race on my pants legs. I politely invited the borrower to McDonald's for coffee and we finished the closing there. I am not sure he noticed the roaches but I am sure he knew why. Kudos to you for staying there.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/14/09 2:10pm
Msg #300041

ROFL!! Now THERE'S a picture I never want to see! n/m

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/14/09 11:30pm
Msg #300112

It's a blessing sometimes

when borrowers want to meet at a resturant and you walk them out at the end and you see the condition of their car! Whew!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/14/09 9:21pm
Msg #300104

The way that I heard it is tha FL does not have roaches.

They only have Palmetto bugs. Understand that some people raise
them commercially to sell as house pets.

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/14/09 10:42am
Msg #299992

Why would you ever stay in a place like that no matter what you were being paid? To hell with it. Walk out and call the hiring company what was happening. If they don't want to use you again, so be it.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/14/09 11:12am
Msg #299999

Agree with Frank/NC and LindaH/Fl n/m

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/14/09 10:48am
Msg #299994

What makes me laugh is.....

usually when you first meet these people at the door, the first words they say are, "Oh....sorry.....I didn't tidy up today...." When they should really be saying that they hadn't cleaned in 20 years!

Kudos to you for sticking it out. I sure as hell wouldn't! I don't care if those critters can survive a nuclear war and have been around for millions of years. They are FILTHY and contagious. Next time do yourself a favor and walk out and meet at a safe, CLEAN location. Your health and safety are worth it.

Reply by janCA on 8/14/09 11:07am
Msg #299998

The really sad part is.....

this obviously was very normal for these people. Probably an everyday occurrence. Just like walking into a home that wreaks (sp) of cat and/or dog urine and hits you like a brick wall when the front door is opened. They have become accustomed to the smell as if it didn't exist. In their world, this is very normal. Ugh!

Reply by Richard Ingram on 8/14/09 11:23am
Msg #300003

Re: The really sad part is.....

The roaches you can see and stay away from them. Try fleas that you don't see until they are all over you. I had this happen to me about a year ago and honestly had to go out on the porch to finish the signing. I had to go home to get a shower and was still finding fleas.
I have been in some homes where the smell will nearly make you sick but the worse signings are where the signers and several family members are smoking and no air is moving.
I have had to ask people not to smoke and now have a very good out. I just tell them that I am very allergic to tobacco smoke and that it makes me very sick. I have only had one occasion where someone told me he was so upset he had to smoke.

Reply by titleme2nc on 8/14/09 11:35am
Msg #300008

"Bengal" the Miracle Spray

Bengal Roach Spray in a big red can is a miracle. We have rent houses and have had pets left behind that would run you out the door and claim the house. But this stuff is designed to
DESOLVE their shell, they will flip upside down and are out for the count in a matter of hours.

The bad things is that most people don't have the $14.00 that it usually cost to invest in a product that most don't believes works. (because most sprays don't).

If you have gone into a house like that just get some of this and spray your clothes before you go into your home and spray your car. Those bugs are sneaky and will transport anywhere and every chance they get.

I live in an area where I get lots of spiders, and I use this just to keep most spiders out of my house. My bird and my dog has never shown any problems.

I too, give you a bravery award for not demanding to have them follow you to a McD's to complete your closing.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 8/14/09 1:24pm
Msg #300029

I appears John, Jan and I have been to the same houses! LOL

Reply by parkerc/ME on 8/14/09 11:24am
Msg #300004

I'm with Linda. As a former FL gal, FL roaches (aka "palmetto bugs"Wink will carry you to your car . . and a flyswatter won't do them in. I'd do as previously posted and try to relocate to McDonalds . . or anywhere else. (After being away from FL for 20 years, I still have roach nightmares! YECHHH!)

Reply by SharonH/OH on 8/14/09 1:38pm
Msg #300035

Thanks for the kudos, one and all, but I'm not sure I can take credit for it. By the time I realized how bad it was, we'd already started (the first Thwack I really did think it was a fly) and both borrowers were elderly and infirm, not to mention poor. She couldn't even move from her chair, never mind the house. I figured the damage was already done and nothing to do but stick it out. However, I will say this was a RESPA signing-- If they call again to ask me to do the closing, I will pass.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 8/14/09 1:46pm
Msg #300036

I also agree that fleas would have been much worse.

I probably would have picked up and left for those. I only have so much compassion.

Reply by HKB on 8/14/09 2:29pm
Msg #300042

Few months ago I was scheduled for a RM ... the lady was really really REALLY old, the son was old too and the house smelled of cats and dogs ... could not breathe. I was very very lucky that the old lady could not fine her ID the son tried to look for it too but could not find and it was decided that they would get a duplicate copy and I ran out of the house …… you are really brave.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/14/09 4:15pm
Msg #300060

How very sad to think they live like that all the time! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.