Notary Rotary
Refurbished 4250DTN HP Laserjet Printer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/25/09 6:47am
Msg #301555

I just purchased one through the Refurb Experts. Upon receipt of box, which had been damaged, something happened to the contact point where toner cartridge is supposed to contact to make copies...had to ship back. Second machine has a drum problem, toner does not print evenly on the page. The shipper insists the copies they sent with the printer that were in the paper output tray are the ones they test printed before they shipped printer. I DON'T THINK SO. Image is blurry, right hand side of page is faint.

I'm sending no. 2 machine back today, as they have a policy where they will charge 40% restocking fee. Let's see what machine no. 3 will be like, maybe third time is the charm. Any one does business with this company in Cedarhurst, New York.

Reply by Calnotary on 8/25/09 8:10am
Msg #301566

Many years ago I purchased a surround sound online that came to be used, I bought it and it was never disclosed that it was used. I tried real hard with my american express card to dispute the charges and I finally decided to keep the darn thing instead of sending back to New York.

After that have never purchased anything online that it's too far away just in case I need to return it. Right now the best way to do it it's just stick with a good retailer. Staples is my best to purchase office products. Next day delivery, I get very good deals on refurbished brother printers from them.

Lately they havent offer refurbished brother printers at a good price.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/25/09 8:10am
Msg #301567

Good luck Cheryl, hope for your sake that the third time is a charm.

Never dealt with them and never will with a 40% restock fee, that is huge. How much was the refurb?

Let us know how it works out.

Reply by JamesLee/VA on 8/25/09 8:39am
Msg #301570

Re: Try this before you Reship

I have both a HP 4350 and a 4250. Was there a print cartridge in the machine when shipped? I have found that if you use a toner that has had the tab pulled, you will get what you just described. Blurry images, light and dark margins. It will usually take about 20 to 30 pages of printing to work out. I had one cartridge that too almost 100 pages to even out.

I love these printers, they are work horses. I always buy HP toner 42X off of eBay. You can get them for $150. I get almost the 20,000 yield. When I buy from the people who refurbish them, I can never get anywhere near the listed page count.

Hope this helps

Reply by 101livescan on 8/25/09 1:01pm
Msg #301594

Re: Try this before you Reship

That sounds like a plan! I'll give that a try.

Thanks so much for all your comments here. It is a great printer, if I can just work out this kink!

Reply by Seeker/GA on 8/25/09 10:07am
Msg #301577

I do not know the company, but a 40% for restocking is robbery. I wish you success in resolving this issue.

Reply by Gary Boehm on 8/25/09 10:54am
Msg #301581

I bought a 2200 dual tray on eBay and had good luck with it for about a year and then it crashed. I only paid $60 for it so I certainly got my money's worth. Then I bought a 4300 on eBay from a company that was about 100 miles from me but I told them I would come pick it up. Well they had one "ready" for me but it made a rasping sound when it printed so they switched the main unit. Then they weren't happy with how the second tray was feeding so they switched that too. So I got a good package but only because I went there myself.
I also bought a toner cheap on eBay (like $15) but it had a small spot that printed three times down the page. So I emailed the seller and told her I was returning it. But then I decided to print a set of borrower's copies with it and noticed that the spot got less and less. Things that make you go Hmmm? So for my next docs I put in my "good" cartridge for the Title docs and again switched to the "bad" one for the borrowers docs. By the end of the second set of borrowers docs the spot was gone and now it is my main cartridge.
So it CAN work out buying used, you just have to be diligent. And sometimes the problem is with the toner cartridge and not the printer itself.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.