Notary Rotary
Strange request
Notary Discussion History

Strange request
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by DD/OR on 8/7/09 4:09pm
Msg #299181

Strange request

The other day a LO called me to do a signing. I said OK. I sensed something was strange about this but I dicided to play along. He told me the borrower's wife had brain cancer and was terminally ill. He postponed giving me the borrowers info. I had to keep reminding him so I could confirm the appointment. He finally gave it to me. At one point the LO told me the FBI had raided their office OR the Lenders office, I wasn't sure which. Then he told me that he was looking for another lender. Meanwhile, I had contacted the borrowers and the husband told me his wife could only sign with an 'X'. Anyway, long story short, I declined the closing. Too weird. I felt sorry for the borrowers but I didn't want to get involved, mainly because of the LO.

Reply by aatatusko on 8/7/09 7:27pm
Msg #299202

DD I probably would have done the same. No need to become involved w/an office that is dealing w/the FBI. I used to visit their (FBI) office every other day and don't regret leaving that day job.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/7/09 10:03pm
Msg #299222

It's been a strange week (full moon & all). This might have been tied to TBW. I can understand the desperation--someone gravely ill & needing to get this done.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/8/09 9:14am
Msg #299255

Good choice DD, best to go with your gut! n/m

Reply by CF on 8/8/09 11:19am
Msg #299279

Re: Good choice DD, best to go with your gut!

You made the right decision!!!! I have had a few strange/ illegal requests over the years. I, simply, say that I need to see the person and their valid photo ID....usually they never call/ email back after that. One LO offered me $500.00....and I said thank you- NO. He just could not believe that I would not do it for $500.00. I, rudely, explained to him where he could put his $500.00 and hung up!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.