Verifying a signature on a letter
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Shelly Taskin on 8/13/09 12:30am
Msg #299680

Hello,

I received a request to verify a person's signature on a letter to the Turkish consulate in Los Angeles (letter is in Turkish.) requesting a police certificate. Would he just write a letter saying that it is his signature and I will attach a jurat?

Thanks for your help.

Shelly

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/13/09 2:04am
Msg #299682

I think that your client must contact the Turkish consulate and find out exactly what they want. It is not up to you to try to figure out what they want.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 8/13/09 6:44am
Msg #299689

A "police certificate" sounds like something from a police dept.

I had a young man show up at my house explaining that her was Palestinian and had been called up for the army. He had a letter on university letterhead signed by someone in that dept saying he was a current student. He wanted me to notarize that signature. I referred him back to the university. I called that person. She said she never worte or signed the letter and that they had no palestinian exchange students at the time.

Reply by SharonMN on 8/13/09 7:57am
Msg #299693

It sounds like all they want is a regular acknowledgement of their signature on the letter.

Reply by rengel/CA on 8/13/09 8:35am
Msg #299701

You really need to call the Turkish consulate to find out their exact requirements. I notarized a signature on a document going to Hungary and ended up having to re-do it due to their specific requirements - the doc had to be folded on one corner and stapled, etc.

Best to do it the way they want it the first time.

My .02

Reply by SharonMN on 8/13/09 1:29pm
Msg #299782

I don't think she needs to call the consulate. The person that needs the notarization should tell her if there are any special requirements. If it doesn't get accepted, not the notary's fault.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.