Notary Rotary
What do you do when....
Notary Discussion History

What do you do when....
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Shoshana/AZ on 8/29/09 8:11am
Msg #302243

What do you do when....

A traffic school exam (which comes from CA, by the way) has only an ack in the notarial section and nothing else? Obviously there needs to be a statement by the test taker and a place for her to sign. One would hope that an astute notary would have alerted them to that.
TIA

Reply by rengel/CA on 8/29/09 8:42am
Msg #302247

Ours is not to question why. If there is a place for the person to sign, then fill out the ack and notarize the signature.
We are not to tell them what they want.
My .02

Reply by PAW on 8/29/09 9:05am
Msg #302254

No place for the person (test taker) to sign.

Shoshana stated, "Obviously there needs to be a statement by the test taker and a place for her to sign."

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/29/09 11:32am
Msg #302265

Re: No place for the person (test taker) to sign.

And why would anybody be surprised that CA in it's magnificent wisdom would ignore not only Notarial law, regulation and practice but would create a form that requires notarization when no signature is required and no place is indicated on the form for such a signature?

Government at it's best and highest power, or as Forest Gump once said "Stupid is as stupid does."

Reply by janCA on 8/29/09 11:41am
Msg #302266

I have done maybe five of these in the past couple of years and there is always a statement by the test-taker to sign. He/She needs to go back to the site he printed this document from and make sure all pages were printed. Looks like it could just be an oversight.

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/29/09 1:02pm
Msg #302269

Refer to the I-9 notarization questions on NotRot as a further example of bad form creations by government.

My favorite however is the W-9 form that requires three and one-half pages of instructions for a form that take two minutes to complete, and even less if the TC already filled in the info. Yes I know the IRS is trying to explain it's various uses, but why not a W-9 version designed just for individuals? The form could be one page long, saving three pages and thousands of trees each year.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/29/09 4:30pm
Msg #302274

Nope. No oversight.

It was faxed to me and the pages are numbered sequentially. I just got an email from my friend. She has proctored exams from this company a few times. This always came to her the same way it came to me.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/29/09 4:52pm
Msg #302275

Re: Nope. No oversight.

Maybe I am overanalyzing this....
Maybe all I need to do is draw a signature line?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/29/09 5:04pm
Msg #302276

That's one thought...another may sound silly..but

do they sign the front? I've seen some test sheets where the person signs the front of the form....

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/29/09 5:13pm
Msg #302279

Re: That's one thought...another may sound silly..but

No place to sign anywhere. When I called the co., I spoke to a woman who was a CA notary. She knew exactly what I was talking about, but this is the first call she has had on it. Unfortunately, her supervisors were out to lunch.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 8/29/09 7:39pm
Msg #302285

Re: That's one thought...another may sound silly..but

Sound like more than the supervisors were"out to lunch"
We had a similar situation here with criminal background check requests to the state police. There was a signature line but no notary language and these folks were supposed to sign in front of a notary.
They finally made a provision for witnessing a signature--probably got sick of the attachments or got sued for illegal background checks. Oh, and I am sure some notaries just slapped on a seal and that was it. Worked for years until the SS finally came out with a handbook and some folks read it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.