Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What is notary presentment and what would you charge?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Shoshana Roller on 8/18/09 7:55am
Msg #300538

Someone left me a voicemail last night. She wanted to have some documents notarized and then travel with them to the post office to mail them. She called that notary presentment. I couldn't find any definitions for it.
For sure, if I take the job, I am going to the PO in my car

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/18/09 8:02am
Msg #300539

Googling: Presentment sorta like Protest. I wouldn't do it. n/m

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/18/09 8:13am
Msg #300544

Assuming it's legal in AZ, why wouldn't you do it? n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/18/09 11:28am
Msg #300593

Re: Assuming it's legal in AZ, why wouldn't you do it?

Because it requires more 'involvement' than I want to be responsible for and, in my non-altruistic opinion, no good deed goes unpunished.

Reply by PAW on 8/18/09 8:02am
Msg #300540

See http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2897386/AFFIDAVIT-OF-notary-presentment-Template-10-03-08

Now, whether or not that is something you can do, is another issue. I think it can be done in PA and LA (maybe others too), but not in CA or FL, at least the way it is shown. (Other forms where the 'presenter' swears/affirms to the facts and the notary gives the oath and attaches a jurat to the document, is allowed. Then the onus of legality and validity rests with the signer.)

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/18/09 8:12am
Msg #300543

It's not something that is specifically mentioned in my handbook.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/18/09 8:34am
Msg #300547

I take that back.

It is mentioned in the handbook, It is ARS (AZ Revised Statutes) 41-320. However, in the statute it only refers to notaries who are working as stockholders, directors, officers or employees of a corporation.

Reply by Mystic on 8/26/09 8:55pm
Msg #301861

It IS done in California, in fact it is the FIRST DUTY of a Notary Public if you look up duties of a notary public in the government code and in the Notary Handbook. It is a DUTY, not an option to present bills for payment and certify the dishonor thereof, If we are not supposed to be doing it, why is it still there and the FIRST duty? I do it all the time. I don't prepare the documents for people, but I stamp, sign and mail for them. Once I was able to defend against an attack by the California Bar association who was trying to frighten me out of doing it, but I was able to explain my understanding and he admitted I was doing nothing wrong. if you don't want to do it, send them to me, I am ok with it. Many notaries are NOT, though and when I called the National Notary Association to ask about this after the first time I was asked to do it for someone and I was a bit uncomfortable, I was told "we don't do that any more, it is old law". Well, if it is old law, it has not been modified and when I read the code myself, I realized we COULD do it, it is just not something they want people to do. Usually notaries who work for banks and some title companies are the only ones taught to do this.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/18/09 9:34am
Msg #300561

Weird, just got a call two weeks ago for the same. Goes a little deeper than the notarization though. They also need the notary to be the return link to the documents being sent for presentment. In other words, I would have to use my address for the response (which they do not expect), and in essence be responsible for saying I did or did not receive a response to what was sent.

If anyone finds out more about this, I sure would like to know, please PM me. Things are too slow right now to pass up any paying customers, so I am considering it, but also do not know what to charge and do not want to do anything illegal or immoral.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/18/09 2:42pm
Msg #300643

Jim, I called SOS office about one year ago to get

additional information about AL Notaries performing/handling/being involved in Protests and never got a clear answer. AL's Code is pretty clear - we can do it as notaries, but....it doesn't say anything more. Apparently the attorneys in that office were having a tough go at it as well, as they did not want to answer for sure one way or the other.

I think I received the same phone call you received 2-3 weeks ago. I declined the offer because I'm just not prepared to do that sort of work. There is an administrative piece to this type of work that requires more thought and preparation. I really like the "here today, gone tomorrow" aspect of regular notary/loan signing work. But it's still on my to-do list. But not until I've had an attorney or someone at the SOS review it with me at length. I know I would want to have a Hold Harmless Agreement or Waiver drawn up between me and the hiring party, in the event the case goes to court. If the party does respond to the person hiring me, I'm required to get that response to the party within a certain period of time, and so forth.

Reply by Katie family name Lee on 2/11/10 9:42pm
Msg #322495

Look for Protest, Negotiable instruments and check in the statutes.
I charge if they are mailing it to me to send out $50 a letter, if they are emailing it to me to print then I charge $75 a letter. Most completed administrative procedures take up to 7 Letters per entity, so multiply that by 7, and most persons are sending up to 3-5 letters per mailing. I also charge $60 for Apostille, the first Apostille then $15 additional Apostilles. I also add an additional $15 on top of the base fee if I need to send out by Registered Mail. If they need $21 in stamps by Registered Mail then I charge the $21 on top of the regular base fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.