Notary Rotary
What's the other alternative to no land line
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Pierces Notary Services on 8/27/09 10:44am
Msg #301928

I'm seriously considering dropping my land line and my hubby and I use our cells only. I can get cable modem but what do you do for a fax line? I was even thinking of checking into Vonage with the cable.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 8/27/09 10:46am
Msg #301930

Maxemail.com will work fine. n/m

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/27/09 10:58am
Msg #301931

I have efax n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/27/09 12:56pm
Msg #301960

I also use efax, but how about http://www.k7.net/?

aka faxaway.com

Reply by Philip Johnson on 8/27/09 11:00am
Msg #301932

Re: What's the other alternative to no land line n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/27/09 11:07am
Msg #301933

Abject silence - that what you trying to say PJ? n/m

Reply by Mystic on 8/27/09 11:31am
Msg #301937

Re: Abject silence - that what you trying to say PJ?

I have an efax for incoming faxes, but the VOIP line I use for voice and Internet cannot handle outgoing faxes. This is a problem for faxing back any docs or even completion reports. The workaround I use is to use Adobe ( I have the full package, not just reader) and create a pdf file from the scanner, then I email the pdf file instead of faxing. However, this creates a large file and some email recipients cannot accept files of this size, so it is not a perfect solution and I am still looking for a workaround myself. I would recommend not giving up your land line, maybe cut down the services, but keep it if you need to do any outgoing faxes on a regular basis. If anyone else has a workaround for this, I would love to know a better solution than the one I am trying to use, not always with success.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/27/09 11:30am
Msg #301936

I also like Maxemail. Not expensive and efax gives you to option of resending easily if receiver says they did not get or you bomb out in he middle of faxing. Also incoming fax can be reprinted if necessary and from anywhere you can get your email (assuming printing capability of course).

Reply by Stamper_WI on 8/27/09 11:46am
Msg #301943

Myfax. $10 a month

You need a way to scan the docs into your computer and attach to an email. They have many formats you can send docs to them in and they convert and forward. I just scan to pdf.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 8/27/09 12:19pm
Msg #301953

Re: Myfax. $10 a month

I have Myfax also and very happy with them can't go wrong for $10 a month Smile

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/27/09 2:46pm
Msg #301985

Me, too.

But I still keep a land line. However, they're pretty inexpensive here compared to elsewhere. I think I usually pay less than $25 a month. In addition to outgoing faxes, I use it for local calls, allowing me to get away with a lower cell phone package (for now, at least).

I've also heard it's a good idea to keep a land line in case of emergency. For example, 911 calls can find your exact address, unlike with cell phones. Also, if cell phone service goes out, it can still be used. I live in earthquake country, but I'd think this could also be a potential issue with tornadoes or hurricanes. (One of my phones is an "ancient" touch-tone phone that works without a power source. It's come in very handy during a couple of power failures.) Of course, it could work the other way, too.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 2:01pm
Msg #301973

Better talk to others in your neighborhood about

how good the local cable company is. You Vonage service will depend on that.

In my neighborhood, the cable is down more than it's up as it is in most areas of my city. It's why I have DSL and Direct TV. Other people report good service in their areas, so it just depends where you are at and how old your infrastructure is.

Also, when the power is down, you are down. We have outages now and again in my neck of the woods and all I have to do is start my generator and my DSL still works. The local cable company uses a power hub from the local lines and when there is no power, there is no cable, whether you have a generator or not. The phone always seems to work. Verizon has my area, so what I am really waiting for is the installation of their fiber optics and FIos. My brother has it and loves it, plus it also works when there is no power as long as I have a generator.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.