Notary Rotary
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrum..."
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by CH2inCA on 8/24/09 3:28pm
Msg #301493

So being that I don't want to be one of those, bottom dwelling, lo-balling, newbies.

And being that I'm in this for the long run.

I was sort of becoming comfy with my pricing. Generally $80 or so for full loan packages, $25 for printing (includes copy set) ; and I'll even throw in free travel in a 25 mile area; but charge for travel beyond that. That is the pricing template. All of course subject to negotiation.

And it works...with some companies!! Sometimes...

Lately, I've been getting calls and they can't match my fee. So we negotiate, I'm now down to $80 total. Last week I got about five calls and they said they'd call if they could get the $80 fee approved...they never called back. Two of these were esigns!!

So here I am. I'm holding firm. Not giving an inch. Not going to waiver. Not going to work for peanuts!!!

But; I'm also not working. :0(

Am I being too proud? I know research, research, research...
I'll do that. Just feeling kind of dismal, dispondent, _______fill in the blank....

Encouragment welcomed; tough love need not reply! (teasing)

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/24/09 3:32pm
Msg #301495

Hang in there. It will get better as long as other notaries in your area are sticking to their guns re: fees. I think your fees are more than reasonable and it's a little slow all over. I hope things pick up for you.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/24/09 3:33pm
Msg #301496

Are you kidding? They won't even pay a $80 fee w/edocs? OMG! Who are they getting to work for less than that--the recent XYZ grads?

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/24/09 3:44pm
Msg #301497

Agree, fees seem fine to me. Shocked they are finding someone for less, but CA is loaded down with NSA's.

Good luck.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/24/09 3:48pm
Msg #301498

Another insult today :$25 Refi App

The insulter: Statewide Documents.

I thought she said $125.....got it clarified, a whopping $25 for 50 miles RT, and 30 or so application pages.

Harumph!

Reply by 101livescan on 8/24/09 3:51pm
Msg #301499

Hold your ground, pilgrim....work is on it's way (where the heck in CA are you any way?)!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/24/09 4:07pm
Msg #301502

My personal opinion here....you shouldn't have lowered your fees..now you're down to $80, next week it will be $75, and good luck going back up...

I'd revise my fee schedule back to what it was and don't go lower...if you feelyou want to give a small break, maybe $5 off the print fee for a normal package - $100 fee for single refi w/ edocs...if you feel that's what you want to charge til you get an established client base. To me anything lower than $100 for an e-doc refi is ridiculous.

Then again, CA is tough...lots of notaries and probably many willing to do them for $50 (and their 9-5 employer sucks up the overhead of printer, paper, toner, etc and doesn't even know it)..

Good Luck.

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/24/09 4:15pm
Msg #301504

And the sad part is...

the BOs are still being charged with a average fee of $250 for "Notary" on the HUD-1.

So whereas it was often a 50/50 split between the SS and the NSA, that has changed dramatically because (based on many conversations with SS owners) the TC and Lenders are cutting the actual payments to the SS, regardless of the fees shown on the HUD-1. So the hard working NSA, having lots more papers to print and get signed is being paid less and less for more work.

Where's MY stimulus????

Reply by 101livescan on 8/24/09 4:46pm
Msg #301507

Re: And the sad part is...

What if we kept our fees in place, but insisted on overnight documents rather than Edocs....everyone would have to shift to higher gear....so much last minute documentation, Edocs is the only way to fly, but no one wants to pay for the service, although they are not having to FEDEX, UPS or Ontrak one way.

Reply by janCA on 8/24/09 6:16pm
Msg #301523

I have not changed my fees, whatsoever, I continue to dig my heals in the ground and stay put. The problem is: what SA's ARE left in this area, and there aren't that many, continue to charge ridiculously low fees. They just haven't opened their eyes to the fact they could be charging a whole lot more. Many that are listed in NR haven't updated their profiles in 2-3 yrs which seems to translate, they just aren't doing signings anymore. Wake up, people. You don't have to accept these paltry fees that are being offered. I am still working smarter, not harder.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/24/09 6:21pm
Msg #301524

" haven't updated their profiles in 2-3 yrs which seems to translate, they just aren't doing signings anymore"

OR....they just don't care ...which speaks to the quality of work they'd provide.

MHO

Reply by MW/VA on 8/24/09 6:32pm
Msg #301526

The really sad part is that the ss are in bidding wars over business in an attempt to survive.
They keep under-bidding each other. That one really gets me, since it is MY work they are bidding.
It is not ok to assume that an ss accepts xx$$ to bid some work, and that I will accept their low-ball offer to accommodate what they've bid. I worked for one company that was operating that way & it turned out to be a nightmare. No more. Especially when the ss is working volume on an account & maybe seeing $10,000/wk from a client, but they want to pay me $75 w/edocs. Thanks, but no thanks.
I'm not in business to improve someone else's profit margin.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/24/09 9:23pm
Msg #301534

Hang in there, pilgrim...

True Grit is needed. (I'm channeling John Wayne, OK?) Joining the ranks of the underpaid will only hasten your departure from this field. Hang tough. Your competition will eventually figure out they are working for free and go back to "you want fries with that?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.