Notary Rotary
advice please
Notary Discussion History

advice please
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Lucy/IL on 8/21/09 10:11pm
Msg #301292

advice please

Ok, this happened tonight and I cannot decide what to do now. I printed docs this evening, took about an hour to print 111 pages then ran off to apt. to be on time. During apt. I kept looking for the HUD statement, never did see one, thought to myself that isn't right. Client said she was to pay $25 to me, so I was trying to look to confirm that before taking her check. No HUD. She went to her computer and printed the HUD they sent to her. So now I am home and trying to figure out what happened to the HUD. Well....the last 9 pages of the 111 did not even print! These were on the companies website not an attachment that I had missed. So do I just print them out and get her to sign over the weekend and not make a case or let the co. know what happened? She did sign the HUD printed from her computer tonight.

Reply by Notary/VA on 8/21/09 10:15pm
Msg #301295

Well the HUD she printed and the one you have the same. If so, then I would use hers. Well, if you mailed the package back without the information you will probably have to go out again anyway. I would just call the customer and advised that the documents were left out of the original package and have her to sign. That way you can still mail the package on Saturday and it will get there on Monday without a problem.

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/21/09 10:19pm
Msg #301300

Thats the way I am looking at it too. We both figured out there must have been docs that didn't print. I told her I would double check and asked if she would be available this weekend if I should need more sigs. and she said yes. So I guess that is what I will do rather than telling the signing co. about the error, just fix it.
Thanks! Sometimes it's just nice to get someone else's opinion.

Reply by Notary/VA on 8/21/09 10:23pm
Msg #301301

Anytime.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 8/21/09 10:27pm
Msg #301302

They sent her the HUD. She signed it. Send it back

with the docs.

Did you print two copies? Were there blank pages in that copy too? Do you need more sigs on the missing pages, save the HUD?

I'm a believer of communication of facts. Clean hands, so to speak. The HUD was signed. That's paramount. Whatever else that wasn't is not fatal, and if more sigs are required via a trip? Take the trip and get those sigs. It's the weekend, and unless you have Sat service, you won't drop the docs until Mon anyway.

She did sign the HUD. Wahoo!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/21/09 11:47pm
Msg #301311

There was a recent thread about those who do or do not review the docs before leaving for an appt.
I got in the habit of checking & stacking every package. In the early days I got to a few signings & there were missing docs & too many surprises. That was too stressful. There are a lot of very successful NSA's who print & run, but that didn't work out for me. Since the HUD is often the last doc to be prepared, it is often sent separately from the rest of the docs.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/22/09 10:03am
Msg #301345

Re: advice please-

Good practice (if u do not review or prep docs b4 leaving) to always feather through docs and make sure first that they are readablle (plenty of toner, no dark or blank lines from printer etc.. and then to make sure that the last page on the screen matches the last page off your printer.
Computers/printers make mistakes just like us humans do.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/22/09 2:46am
Msg #301324

Even if you don't go through the whole package, it's a good idea to check the last page to make sure you have everything. Also, it's a good idea to always make sure you have a HUD (and escrow/title docs, which are prepared separately), Note, DOT/Mortgage, TIL, RTC (where appropriate - with enough copies), etc. This is something that becomes instinct after a while.

As for the error, if it's your mistake, I recommend just getting it taken care of as soon as possible, preferably so you can send the package to arrive on time. If that's not possible, then by all means, you need to fess up and don't hold up the rest of the package, unless they tell you to.

BTW, if you just sent the whole package to your printer to print all at once and those pages where missed in both copies, you might want to check to see if you have enough memory in your printer. If this is a problem again, you can select the pages to print and do it in batches instead of all at once. It takes a little more time, but you'll be sure you have everything that way.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/22/09 6:27am
Msg #301328

Agree with Janet - I always check the last page or two of each attachment I print. I compare it to the last two pages of the attachment as displayed on the computer screen. Almost always everything is fine, but once in a blue moon there is a glitch somewhere.

Reply by CF on 8/22/09 8:26am
Msg #301334

Just get it taken care of. Most companies do not care- as long as the package if fully executed. I do not feel that you need to tell anyone that you went back. Mistakes happen all the time- we are humans. How you fix the mistake is key in this business! Hopefully none of those missed docs needed to be notarized??? If not sounds like you are in the clear to get them signed over the weekend.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 8/22/09 8:34am
Msg #301335

I count pages

Every pdf file shows the total number of pages in the file. I make notes on how many attachments I have and how many pages are in each one, and add 'em up so I know how many pages I should have when I walk out the door. Even if the last page matches, it's easy for the printer spooling to mess up and skip something. Then I count, both mine and borrower's copies. That also allows me to see, while I'm counting, whether or not the major docs are there so I can contact title if something appears to be missing. I once had a mortgage that appeared awfully short. Upon closer look, turned out it had been a two sided document, scanned in as one side only (so all I had was pages 1, 3, 5, etc.). Escrow officer was very appreciative that I was able to call him and get him to send the rest of the pages before I left for closing.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 8/22/09 12:46pm
Msg #301362

Re: I count pages

1,3,5, and so on of the mortgage......

I had the exact same thing happen to me once. I had to call and ask for the rest of the pages from the back.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/22/09 8:40am
Msg #301337

Re: advice please...okay...I'll do it...

I have a couple questions...

1. Why did it take you an hour to print 111 pages? (twice I assume = 222)....was it the scanning on title's end or your printer? You may need to upgrade your equipment. I WISH I had packages of 111 pages....that's a treat for me!!

2. In that hour the package was printing, why did you not review it? Go through it. Why were you at the table when you realized the HUD, of all things, was missing. The HUD is the FIRST thing I look for since, at least here, it's a requirement at closing/signing (most of the time and yes I know about the CA estimated settlement sheets).

3. You go back this weekend, what date are you going to use? IMO you should have been back there last night...

I agree with all the posters who tried to calm you down, but I disagree with all who said it's not a problem. This IS a problem....you can't go to closing missing 9 pages, especially the HUD, and not think this is a problem. You need to be aware of these things and address them before you get to the signing, not at the table.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/22/09 9:02am
Msg #301339

I have tried to think how to respond to this without being mean. We are given the responsibility as NSA's to print docs & we need to make sure we are capable of doing that. I saw Lucy post in another thread about printer/download/spooling issues. I encountered a lot of those in my early days. It was an expensive lesson for me. I tried several printers until I got to where I need to be.
IMO if you're going to be in this business you need to make the investment in proper equipment.
That includes computer, high speed internet, laser printer, fax, etc. I finally ended up with a Brother
HL-5250DNT. It prints fast & doesn't get bogged down with memory issues of large files. I also have cable internet & can download files in seconds. I can print 2 copies of a package in about 20 minutes. I also check my docs & stack them as they're printing. Since the HUD is the doc that is 1st & goes on top, it can't be missed. It is never ok to leave for a signing without the HUD. Most of us know to make sure the "criitical" docs are there: HUD, Note, DOT, Til, RTC, 1003, etc.
I'm glad Lucy realizes she is responsible for making it right & realizes she needs to get her printing problems resolved so it doesn't happen again.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/22/09 9:07am
Msg #301340

It sounds like she needs to add memory to her printer.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/22/09 12:35pm
Msg #301360

The printer is surely a major issue. Going to a signing without a HUD is another matter altogether.
IMO it's NSA 101. Ironically, I received the instructions for a signing today. In huge, red letters it said
"Do not go the a signing without a HUD Settlement Statement. If you do not have a HUD, please call .........". Instructions were in all caps, underlined, and in red ink. Enough said.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/22/09 2:02pm
Msg #301365

Oh, you're absolutely right. Absolutely, positively, never leave home without the HUD, Note, TIL, RTC and Mtg/DOT plus any riders.

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/23/09 8:57pm
Msg #301412

Re: GEE...

Gee...I thought this was supposed to be a "family friendly" site. I have resolved my problem, it was simply an dumb error that I got corrected immediatley on my time. Sorry I ever posted it...doesn't anyone else make mistakes?? My printer is a HP 2727nf laser all in one. It is only certain jobs that print out slower than others. Some of us have not been this business for many years like some of you have been.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/23/09 9:18pm
Msg #301417

Yes, Lucy, we all make mistakes, even after being in

business for a few years. It is how we learn, although ideally we would wish to learn from the mistakes of others.

Don't let the comments deter you from returning and posting again. Sometimes the comments are made generally, not to the poster necessarily, as cautions to all persons reading as there are a lot of new people reading and these would help them as well as you.

Deep breaths - hope to see you again.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/23/09 11:02pm
Msg #301432

Re: Yes, Lucy, we all make mistakes, even after being in

"Sometimes the comments are made generally, not to the poster necessarily, as cautions to all persons reading as there are a lot of new people reading and these would help them as well as you."

So very true. I know I tend to do that a lot, then after the fact, I hope that the previous poster didn't take it personally. I think those of us who have been here a while get that and are less likely to be bothered by it. Also, we might have one "tone" in mind when dashing off a post, but someone else may read it with a completely different one.

To Lucy: I think someone else said that you appear to have already learned what will be a very valuable lesson. Just imagine what other useful information you might miss if you choose to not pose future questions here. You are showing a genuine interest in self-improvement and growth and I believe that we all applaud that attitude.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/23/09 10:28pm
Msg #301426

I certainly hope you will post again. The advice was meant to be constructive criticism & might not have come off that way. Yes, we all make mistakes. I started out with my HP 3050 laserjet all in one, thinking that would be enough to get me started. The printing capacity was not there, and it would bog down badly & take forever to print. I thought I'd have a breakdown. I got to one appt., some of the docs were cut-off (had no idea why, I was using legal paper). It was a late night appt. at that.
No matter--it didn't close that night & needed to be re-signed. I was pretty "green" then & realized very quickly I needed to get another printer. I can tell you that was in the days before I came to NR.
None of us is perfect, and it is from those experiences we are willing to help others avoid those same "trial & error" issues.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/24/09 9:02am
Msg #301436

Lucy - It seems like you are being a little thin-skinned. Don't expect family friendly...just informative and you'll never be disappointed....if you think this board is tough this business will run you down and then out.

Posters have nothing to do with your income...just wait 'til you actually get unfriendly and downright bullying behavior out of a hiring entity or borrower. I promise you, you will encounter it.

Be Teflon. Let things slide off. Only hold onto what is valuable.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 8/22/09 12:44pm
Msg #301361

First of all Kudos to you for spelling *advice* correctly...

I, too, think you should consult someone about an equipment (computer/printer) upgrade. A loan package should not typically take an hour to print 222 minus 18.

I also think it is beneficial to be in the habit of checking for the critical docs before you leave for a closing, and I agree with Linda that you really did have time for that if the printing took an hour.

If you didn't get the 9 missing pages signed last night then I suggest letting the hiring entity know the situation and go from there. You may have to swallow your pride a little, but being truthful is always best.

Now as far as being embarrassed goes, I know all about that. =) .........

I posted a couple days ago about trying to get 1 page of a PDF attachment from a TC that I could not print (page 1 of 1003) last Friday for a Saturday closing. Well I had worked on that package so long that when I left for my 4 pm closing on Friday, I grabbed the docs and left. Drove 40 miles one way, sat down at the table, and, yep, had Sat. docs!!!!! I had to drive back to get the correct docs from my office and then all the way back. I was sooooo embarrassed!!! Then found out Thursday of this week it had to resign because of a mix-up with the address or something. Unfortunately, I was unavailable for the resign. I sure would have liked to prove to this couple I am really not an idiot!!

Live and Learn,
Tonya

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/23/09 6:56pm
Msg #301405

Amen, Tonya....absolutely right.

**First of all Kudos to you for spelling *advice* correctly...**

Agreeing with you on that one!

Reply by LynnNC on 8/22/09 4:36pm
Msg #301373

I am curious why it took an hour to print 111 pages!

Do you have a laser printer?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/23/09 6:31pm
Msg #301402

I'm confused (normal for me)...

What was the client instructed to pay you $25 at the table?? Who hired you - the BO, the TC or an SS?

As for the missing HUD - this has been discussed before. We can't just print and run (even if we've done this several thousand times) - the package should ALWAYS be reviewed to make sure all of the critical docs are there. If doing that makes you 30 minutes late or whatever, so be it - the TC or lender's lack of planning does not create an emergency on your part.

I don't mean this as a personal criticism, but I can't understand how someone can show up at a signing without a HUD, or a note, or a mortgage/DOT, or a TIL, or an RTC. Yeah, the folks preparing the docs are under pressure and they sometimes screw up - and sometimes we have printing problems - but a couple of minutes reviewing what you've got before you leave can save you several hours of non-productive follow up work.

Reply by FAN_IL on 8/24/09 2:48pm
Msg #301484

Re: advice please: Slow Printing/Memory Issues

I have the maximum amount of additional memory that can be installed on my printer, but it hasn't prevented some PDF's from printing painfully slow. If something's scanned @ a high dpi, then it requires a ton more "real-time" memory & takes forever to print.

Recently I added 1 GB of RAM to my computer and it's made all the difference in the world. Not only do big "memory-hog" files now print really quickly but the printing resolution is clearer as well.

So if you have a limited budget, your money might be better spent on additional RAM than on increasing your printer memory. If additional RAM is cost-prohibitive, then try breaking up the PDF into smaller print jobs, say 10-15 pages at a time. Each batch will print faster, and the overall job will finish more quickly than if you'd printed the whole thing all at once.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/24/09 2:52pm
Msg #301486

Memory is cheap - think I paid $25 and moved into this

century with lightening speed with whatever I wanted my computer to do. Very noticable. Can't speak highly enough of Newegg.com...and you can consult with someone while placing order.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.