Notary Rotary
copies
Notary Discussion History

copies
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Lucy/IL on 8/21/09 4:08pm
Msg #301240

copies

I know we started talking about docs taking so long to download and print a couple of days ago. These docs have taken 30 mins. just to download and then pause in between every page. Why does this happen?

Reply by CF on 8/21/09 4:20pm
Msg #301243

It may be time to upgrade your printer. Put the setting on lowest dpi possible and in a toner saver mode this should make print time faster. Taking 30 minutes to download could be a sign that your computer memory needs to be beefed up. If you can find someone that knows about computers you may be able to be upgraded your memory and just have that expense.

Brother printers are pretty cost effective...especially when you buy toner from, various, discount sites like ldproducts, that many people on this site use. I have a new Brother 8480DN and it prints 27 pages per minute. It says up 35....but it never does. The consumables for me are cost effective. It has a 50 page auto document feeder that rocks!!! I am going to add memory off a discount site for $50.00 to the printer and considering a memory upgrade to my computer too.

Just some things to consider. Good luck!

Reply by Grace Gully on 8/21/09 5:07pm
Msg #301246

It's not your printer it's the way the docs were scanned into the file, ask title to rescan the docs for you make sure they check the box Optimize.

Reply by PAW on 8/21/09 5:24pm
Msg #301247

See Msg #18810 n/m

Reply by Alice/MD on 8/21/09 5:30pm
Msg #301248

Re: See Msg #18810

Message #18810 really helped me with my slow printing. It saved me from having to buy any more memory for my computer and printer. Thanks for the help PAW (:o)) It works every time.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/21/09 5:36pm
Msg #301249

make sure the computer is printing direct to printer not to spoiler.

Reply by PAW on 8/21/09 8:21pm
Msg #301276

Printing direct instead of spooling should not make the printer go any faster. Of course, if you are spooling the print file, you will need enough computer resources to keep the printer printing as quickly as possible. Memory is cheap, so put as much in your computer as you can. Same with the printer. Also minimize CPU intensive things while the file is being spooled. Once spooled, it should drive the printer just as fast as direct printing, plus it allows you to keep working on other things like email, solitaire, etc.

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 8/21/09 8:42pm
Msg #301279

To spool or not to spool --

my question: does one of these selections (spooling or printing directly) result in faster printing or better use of computer resources? I have been somewhat reluctant to experiment with these settings.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/21/09 8:55pm
Msg #301281

Re: To spool or not to spool --

Better use of resources. You can spool x amount of jobs - they are put into a line and printed in the order received. If you don't have a lot of memory, then less can join the line. The addition of memory creates more spaces in line.

I don't see much difference in speed, but I don't see a lot since I sometimes forget to wear my glasses. I am sure someone else will comment on this though and we will both find out.

Reply by PAW on 8/21/09 9:06pm
Msg #301284

Re: To spool or not to spool --

With direct printing, your computer's main/primary task is to print the document. Everything else is secondary. With spooling, the task is on equal grounds with the foreground tasks, so it shares the available resources. So, depending on what your needs are, direct printing or spooling are the choices.

One major problem with direct printing: if your PC fails, your printing will need to be started over from the beginning. Depending on the failure, if you are spooling your printer output, it may be able to recover and pick up where it left off. Of course, rebooting will delete the spooled data.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.