Notary Rotary
wireless cards- how does the whole thing work
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Donna LaBelle on 8/19/09 2:51am
Msg #300735

could someone please explain to me what I have to have in the computer and how the wireless card thing works

Reply by MW/VA on 8/19/09 8:18am
Msg #300740

Wireless cards or air-cards, as they are sometimes referred to, are available from cell phone providers. They provide broadband service to have a wireless internet connection. Unlike wi-fi, you can use your computer anywhere a signal is available. In this industry, this is what is requested for notaries doing e-signings. A laptop & aircard will give you complete wireless access to the internet. If you use the orange search button, you will see that e-signings & the requirements have been discussed a lot.
It may be the wave of the future, but I haven't seen enough volume to warrrant the additional expense.
Air-cards average $60/mo. Many cell-phones, including my Blackberry, can be used as a modem (again, additional charges apply for this).

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/19/09 8:30am
Msg #300743

Excellent answer Marilyn. n/m

Reply by MonicaFL on 8/19/09 9:56am
Msg #300768

I actually broke down and purchased a laptop (got a GREAT deal fromBest Buy) and I also got the aircard. I was then able to cancel my internet provider and also lowered my home phone "extras" down to the minimum - and I saved enough money on those two things to pay for my aircard. I also get 5G of airtime on my card a month - and I haven't even used one g yetand I purchased this on August 9th.

Reply by Allison_MI on 8/19/09 3:42pm
Msg #300885

Monica, can you share the brands of laptop, wireless card, etc. Thanks

allison

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/19/09 5:10pm
Msg #300926

Monica - I also cancelled my home internet service

I use my Sprint wireless card on both my laptop and my desktop. It's the kind that plugs into a USB port and the required software is installed from the wireless card itself. I have no limits on my usage and have had the card for over two years.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.