Notary Rotary
2009 Notary Conference - State of Alabama
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 9/21/09 4:55pm
Msg #304509

Today I received my confirmation for the Oct 1st meeting. In addition to outlining the agenda, I wanted to share a couple of things:

1) The Conference is "sold out". If you're an AL Notary and you haven't registered you're too late.

2) The location of the meeting has been moved, due to the overwhelming response, to: Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center in Montgomery.

3) I heard that video or audio exceprts of the meeting (or the whole thing) will be posted on the SOS website at a later date.

4) The early morning tour of the State Capitol has been cancelled. All tours will take place AFTER the Conference.

Now for the speakers & topics:

Opening Remarks - Beth Chapman, SOS
History of Notary Services - Kathy Robinson
Notary Testimonials - The Turners, Owners of Freedom Court Reporting
State Notary Law - Judge Jean Brown and Legal Advisor to the SOS
Notary Best Practices - Wm Anderson of the NNA
FAQs - Virginia Bunn, Office of the Secretary of State

There were not enough people in N. Alabama interested in riding a chartered bus to Montgomery so my efforts to make that happen have stopped.

I'll be there and I look forward to meeting other Notary Rotary members. If you're going to Conference and would like to meet in person, just send me a note.

Reply by tonya/AL on 9/21/09 6:56pm
Msg #304525

I hope that the SOS office sees, by the overwhelming response, that there is a need and want for more comprehensive information/guidelines regarding the notary laws of Alabama.

Reply by Jack/AL on 9/21/09 8:28pm
Msg #304536

The only notices I received were those posted by you, Michelle. Did not know to register, so I guess I'm left out. Am considering making the drive and hoping to get in.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 9/21/09 8:38pm
Msg #304537

Jack, it makes you wonder what mailing list the SOS

used to notify notaries. Did you move recently? I returned my registration form on the same day it arrived in the mail.

Reply by Jack/AL on 9/21/09 8:58pm
Msg #304538

Re: Jack, it makes you wonder what mailing list the SOS

Haven't moved in 10 years, and that was 1/2 mile, and the USPS folks know me well. Have been a NP for 14 years, but don't think I've ever received mail, email, or other communication from the SOS. The SOS's website does have my info as an active NP.

I wonder how many NPs we have in Alabama. Tried to count them earlier this year. Going alphabetically, I reached 10,000 by the time I reached "M" but then my connection died, as did my interest. Was counting out of interest, wondering how many other NPs wonder aimlessly, doing our best and tying to be professional, and how many don't even try, all with apparent disregard by the SOS.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 9/21/09 9:33pm
Msg #304539

You have me beat by ten years. I tried counting AL

notaries too! I gave up long before you did though. : ) I would think they would overlook newer notaries before any old timers. My cousin received her Commission less than six months ago and she received her notice on the same day as I did, so there's no telling what process the SOS used.

Reply by Deb_AL on 9/21/09 10:51pm
Msg #304541

Re: You have me beat by ten years. I tried counting AL

I received mine the same time you did yours Michelle. Thanks for the info and please keep us updated.

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/22/09 1:39am
Msg #304547

Here's the Alabama Notary Count...

Per the XYZ's most recent notary census in 2007, Alabama had 67,593, down about 3,000 from the previous count in '02.

Reply by Jack/AL on 9/22/09 11:16pm
Msg #304635

Re: Here's the Alabama Notary Count...

Thanks. Am not familiar with XYZ. Repeatedly tried the AL SOS site's alphabetical list. Never did get beyond page 40 (about 1,000 NPs). Seems the site can't really show all, mostly does a search by name. Duh......

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.