Notary Rotary
Background check/Credit Report
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by gcn3 on 9/29/09 7:18pm
Msg #305632

I had a signing service call me about being in their database. One requirement was the background check which I told them I had. Which wasn't good enough because they needed one done every 6 months. In addition, to background stuff they were going to run my credit report twice a year. The best part was they could disclose the information to third parties without notifying you. Anyone else getting this request?

Reply by John/CT on 9/29/09 7:48pm
Msg #305637

Background Check ==> Normal for some services; Credit Report ===> Questionable; Disclosures to Third Parties ===> Out of the question/Off the table. I'd walk away from this service if it were me.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/29/09 7:51pm
Msg #305639

I'd catch up with John while walking away and visit a while. n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 9/29/09 9:22pm
Msg #305651

Better to ask them for theirs!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 9/29/09 10:41pm
Msg #305653

Is this for real, or are you just trolling?

Reply by gcn3 on 9/30/09 9:26am
Msg #305680

Re: This is for Mike C

This request was from a new signing company called Integrity Signing in the Dallas area. My response was driving and criminal background fine, no to the credit.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/30/09 9:44am
Msg #305686

Driving record?

Why is this any of their business? Maybe you take the subway (in NYC) or have someone else drive you. As long as you can get to your appointments on time, why would they need to know how you get there?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/30/09 10:01am
Msg #305688

Re: Driving record?

I once had a company request a copy of the dec page from my car insurance - needless to say I politely refused...

Reply by MikeC/NY on 9/29/09 10:41pm
Msg #305654

Is this for real, or are you just trolling?

Reply by Therese on 9/29/09 11:16pm
Msg #305656

no doubt Mike! n/m

Reply by Therese on 9/29/09 11:16pm
Msg #305655

Can we just say excessive............? n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/30/09 6:19am
Msg #305660

Haven't gotten that request, but I would say b-bye!

No way would I give them access to that kind of info! I also will not do a BGC every six months!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/30/09 6:48am
Msg #305661

I must have the wrong idea in my head about the

purpose of a background check...it was my understanding it was to ensure that one's "background" was clear of any illegal/criminal activity - the person had a clean record...

If that's true, this company's policy begs the question - what calibre of people have they been hiring or dealing with that they feel the need to check the background every six months. They obviously don't trust their contractors/vendors to "stay clean" for longer than six months at a clip.

As for pulling my credit report every 6 months? - my answer is a resounding NO (although any bets many probably pull a "soft" report anyway?) ....share the info with third parties? Absolutely Not....

With all the preliminary hoops, can you just imagine the handholding that must occur.

MHO

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/30/09 8:12am
Msg #305666

Re: I must have the wrong idea in my head.

This was discussed a few weeks back msg 301621.

Do not be surprised if it becomes more common.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/30/09 8:23am
Msg #305667

Not quite the same thing, Jim

That message addressed being contracted based on one's FICO score - not having a BGC and credit report pulled every 6 months AND the sharing of the info with a third party...

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/30/09 8:31am
Msg #305669

Re: Not quite the same thing, Jim

I do not see much difference, between getting it once and getting it every 6 months. If they want to incur the cost, no problem. I can only assume (since I have not seen the contract) that the third party part would be the clients that they work for.

They want evidence that you are honest, responsible yada, yada.

If you landed a job today paying $500k a year would you turn it down or quit if the employer stated they were going to run these 6 month reports on all employees?

Reply by janCA on 9/30/09 8:35am
Msg #305671

It dings your credit each time they run a report. I certainly wouldn't do it. $500,000 a year, we're talking about doing signings, not being a corporate CEO.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/30/09 8:56am
Msg #305673

Sorry Jim - we'll have to agree to disagree on this...

It's not a matter of them paying for it (which I would reasonably expect them to do) - they want to do BGC's every 6 months I have nothing to hide so have at it - it's the repetitive hits on my credit report for no good reason that I object to - sharing with third parties? - only if they tell me who they're sharing it with first -

Why in the world would I trust someone I don't know to be responsible with my most sensitive information? For $125=$150/assignment, if that? If I do that I might as well give them copies of my social security card and my driver's license while I'm at it and be done with it.

Nope...not me..I see no good constructive reason for this - identity theft and fraud go both ways and I need to protect myself too - not just some SS who I may hear from once every 2-3 months - or who may be out of business in 6 WITH my personal info on file.

MHO

Reply by TRG_wy on 9/30/09 9:02am
Msg #305674

Agree.

Now for my 2 cents: show me your's and i'll show you mine. If they ask for my bgc and/or credit report then I need to see theirs. Why should I entrust them on their word and open me up to possible id theft (been hit four times already). I have seen more bad/corrupt SS/tc than I have notaries.

Reply by wisconsin on 9/30/09 9:04am
Msg #305675

I have to agree with Linda H on this one.

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/30/09 9:26am
Msg #305681

Agree with Linda, TRG and Teresa......

Too much personal information being given out, there are a lot more corrupt SS's and as Teresa says WE are extending credit to THEM. They should be giving us credit statements as per Dun & Bradstreet

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/30/09 9:08am
Msg #305676

We are extending credit to them

They should be expected to undergo a credit check to prove that they are credit worthy.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/30/09 9:09am
Msg #305677

No Way! If they're planning on sharing the info with third parties it sounds like they're planning on making money selling the names in their database for marketing purposes. Say NO, NO, H#$L NO!
I think this is a troll anyway!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/30/09 9:27am
Msg #305682

OP has been posting here for at least 2 years...

Don't think a troll...

Reply by A S Johnson on 9/30/09 9:35am
Msg #305685

Low ball operation. Was in Houston. Meet them several years ago at a Convention/sales presentation where the main offering was "Title/Escrow frianchies" for Texas.

Reply by Laura_V on 9/30/09 10:21am
Msg #305690

I had a lender pull this on me

A lender who used their own in house TC pull this on me several years ago.

The form was sent under the guise of needing to make certain they had my current contact and delivery info.

Under my signature was a clause in a tiny font saying I was giving them permission to check my credit report whenever they pleased.

Didn't sign. Just phoned the scheduler who loved me and verified my data via phone. Scanned the doc before discarding in case I later discovered they checked my CR anyway.

They went under a couple of years ago like lots of other devious lender jerks.

Reply by Les_CO on 9/30/09 10:34am
Msg #305691

Please remember, when a Signing Service calls us for signing assignment they are BUYING goods and services from us, and in almost every case asking to do so, on credit. They want to buy what we sell now, and pay us later. WE extend them credit! Some people have gotten this whole scenario backwards. We do NOT work for them. They buy a service from us.
In addition a Notary Public to be commissioned, or licensed, has to meet some requirements. Take and pass a test, pass a background check, be bonded, NOT be a convicted felon, and at least be literate enough to fill out the application to become a Notary, and pay a fee. NONE of these things are required of a Signing Service. All they need is a cell phone. Who should require references, background and credit checks, from whom?

Reply by Erwin/CA on 9/30/09 10:57am
Msg #305693

Forgive my ingnorance. Does a company need our permission to run a credit check on us? If they do, how come I continue to get "You are already approved" stuff all the time. I always assumed that they at least had run a credit check on me before they sent those out.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/30/09 2:31pm
Msg #305720

If you want to stop all those spam credit card junk offers..

simply go to the credit bureau opt-out website and sign up. I can tell you that it DOES WORK! It has stoped about 95% of that credit junk mail I used to receive, including live checks from credit card companies that I already had cards with.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Reply by TRG_wy on 9/30/09 12:43pm
Msg #305709

BRAVO!!

Les, as always, you are spot on. Wish I could have said the way you just did. BRAVO!!

Reply by Mobile Notaries Group - MNG on 10/1/09 6:08am
Msg #305769

The state of MD is checking on those signing companies who are not licensed to solicite notaries here in the state of MD. So if they ask you for a background check and they are not listed in your state insurance producer nonresident listing then they are in violation. So they would have to stop soliciting you all together, so run a background check on them.

Here is what we found out from doing our research. Here is the testimony of what was presented to the State Senator and the MIA.

TESTIMONY OF BARBARA J TAYLOR, LEGAL ASSISTANT / TIPIC

TITLE INSURANCE PRODUCER INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS
VS. SURETY BOND INCREASE / RESPA and HUD-1

The boilerplate in regards to this matter is the use of licensed notary public’s as scapegoats to hide the unethical practices of the mortgage lenders and title companies errors, misappropriation of escrow funds and controlling the disbursements when due. I am basically stressing the fact that the HUD-1 and RESPA is both out dated and needs to be revised, and with this in mind, it should clear up some matters when it comes to the consumer and the notary (licensed Witness Closer/Title Insurance Producer Independent Contractors) TIPIC.

The HUD form abrogation is to appear as though everything is in compliance but in reality line item 1106 has not changed and the notary is still being ignored. This area has been overlooked since the Notary (Regular Notary Public) title has been changed to a Licensed Notary (Signing Agent)/Title Producer Independent Contractor. RESPA enforces an out of date method of the HUD and can not justify why and when to utilize and/or explain the services of the licensed TIPIC and do not include it with other services of the title companies.

Since, 2003 the licensed notary is classified not only in Maryland but are changing nationally. The key word is licensed, licensed like a surveyor, abstractor, title company, recorder, lending institution, etc., since there is now a licensed notary, a notary all together different than the regular notary, a regular notary do not handle real estate closings or documents and are not educated. A licensed notary/title producer must go through 30 hours pre-license course and 16 hour continued education to maintain their license bond and etc., the notaries are now considered to be professionals. A licensed notary, however do not handle Escrow.

The RESPA needs to catch up to the new century. Until this matter is revised then RESPA when it comes to the notary is supporting the biggest fraud in the industry of title, it is a common scheme and a reason some title companies who do not pay hide behind the out dated RESPA Act. We notaries pay for our license and more. This matter is a fraud, a fraud which continues to allow escrow, mortgage and title companies to continue to hide this. In the real world the companies who contract licensed notaries/witness closers who contact the consumer to verify appointment date, location and time, print out the documents, which utilizes their electricity, toner, paper and time, drive to the appointment, utilizes gas, oil and mileage and meeting at the table with the consumer can take from thirty five minutes to an hour, fax over documents requested of the title company and then drive to either FEDEX, UPS or etc., to drop off the documents. This process can takes up to three hours of the licensed notaries time. I believe time spent on each closing handled by a licensed notary, equals to a loan officer, closer and attorney. Again, until this matter is cleared this is considered to be one of the biggest labor violations ever.

This matter must be addressed. It is a matter as stating until the notary is paid on time the case file for loan closing documents handled for a closing is not officially closed it leaves room for a right to action where a notary may be able to file a claim based on these facts and others may and can cause a great upset in the title industry. With basically some notaries know that some loan documents are not complete until records are filed with tax and land records and that could take at least a month or two.

Line item 1106 Notary – (for Sell) have been changed to Line item 1106 Owner’ title policy limits – it is considered to be a contract of adhesion, it should be amended to include a notary who acts and handle documents in closing loans must hold commission, errors and omission insurance, license and a surety bond and is able to set out on its own on the HUD and should be compensated at disbursement of funds, no matter if it is a sales, purchase, refinance, equity, HELOC, etc., and since this area of the HUD/RESPA has not yet been amended for revision to be enforced it is a great cause for concern and a matter which fraud in the title industry can continue to withhold funds from basically clearing the consumer’s loan. However, its been revised to state Line item 1106 Notary and Owner’s title policy limit again hiding the services performed by the notary and can still leave it to appear that the notary have and/or have not been paid for their services. Even though, it’s been changed to now read that Line item1106 is used to record the amount of the owner’s title policy limit. This amount is recorded outside of the columns. The services of a notary is not disclosed and are caught up in the title charges of the mortgage lender, title companies and the contracted signing companies which are owned by some title companies to control payment to license notaries who are independent contractors for their services. (See below the revised section of the HUD from the [Federal Register/Vol. 73, No. 222/Monday, November 17, 2008/Rules and Regulations].

Third-Party Service Firms:
Direct Title Insurance Carriers (524127); Title Abstract and Settlement Offices (541191); Offices of Lawyers (541110); Other Activities Related to Real Estate (531390); Offices of Real Estate Appraisers (531320); Surveying and Mapping (except geophysical) Services (541370); Credit Bureaus (561450); Exterminating and Pest Control Services (561710); Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers (531210).

Third-Party Service Firms are labeled with an assigned number and are professional licensed firms and so are TIPICS, so why then are the TIPICS not listed in this process. RESPA/HUD #1106 holds one of the biggest loopholes ever and in itself is a liability, where the legal ethics in this matter is violated. In the section of the Third-Party Service Firms where do we license notaries fit in. Where do the TIPICS (license notaries) fit in, in the Final Rule, since the title companies are now controlling this line, basically placing all title producers under the line items 1100-1108 (see Exhibit – 1 and Exhibit – 1a) under their umbrella giving control over both:

1. TIPICs are educated have a surety bond, trade name, federal identification number, are sole proprietors, S-Corporations, C-Corporations, LLC, LLP and are alieni juris (basically under legal control of another) in the line items 1100-1108, placed under the same umbrella. Why do the TIPICS even need a bond? (See attached Exhibits). Exhibit – 2 Trade Name; Exhibit – 3 IRS – FEIN and Exhibit – 3a W-9; Exhibit – 4 HB 1460.

2. Title Producers who are educated do not have a surety bond are hired as in-house title producers under title company surety bond, under their umbrella. (see Exhibit – 5)*

*[This leaves margin for unethical practices where unlicensed Title Producers are bonded under the title company surety bond, perform closings for signing companies out-of-state and the signing companies then are placed as the notary on line 1106 who unofficially closed the loan (See Exhibit – 5)]. But, in this particular case in Exhibit – 5, the signing company on this exhibit utilized the service of a Maryland TIPIC not knowing that TIPIC is an independent contractor, the TIPIC officially closed the loan. This raised a red flag with the TIPIC.

Why in the RESPA was the line item1106 Notary singled out and merged into the title company control? Again the RESPA/HUD has not been revised to accept the change that’s been made for Notary Witness Closers who hold license. RESPA have not justified why this change have not been made. RESPA do not justify or explain why we notaries must have a bond greater than the income we received; do not justify why we don’t sell title or get paid for selling title; do not justify why we are to be gagged at the closing table because of the fears of the lender [Federal Register /Vol. 73, No. 222/Monday, November 17, 2008/Rules and Regulations 68229]; do not justify why we aren’t paid at disbursement (after the 3-day Recession); can not justify why we cannot hold escrow, yet MAHT want a percentage of the escrow funds, because they are confused as to who we are and what our title represents; you cannot tell why nor justify the difference of knowing that notaries are witness closers licensed notary public; you cannot justify why we were labeled TIPICS – Title Producers. Therefore you cannot explain why the Affiliated Business Arrangement Disclosure Statement discloses the fees for Title Insurance and Closing Services, where the fee ranges from $150-$10,000 (varies by state, property, value and loan amount). Higher amounts may apply for high cost properties, large loan amounts of optional coverage. Why the notary isn’t paid their worth, starting with the $150.00 instead of the $100.00 or less, we are license businesses, since when does these title companies are allowed to dictate our fee.

So, explain why, are licensed notaries being used as the scapegoats in this matter – when the case is between In and Out of state lenders, title companies and the consumer. So why are we notaries being caught up in an increase in the surety bond, an increase that have no justification or an explanation in this process – or should notaries hold bonding of this magnitude. How can the state of Maryland Insurance Administration benefit from this increase an increase where the funds again go to whomever, it appears to be a fast scam a way for the investors to gain control over the state system. This is one of the biggest scams ever not only against the consumer but state and the licensed notary. An act put into place during the Ehrlich Administration in the very beginning when we licensed notaries were born and did not know or had a say as what to call or label us notaries and why these tactics were adopted by the O’Malley Administration to use the notaries as to blame and a scam put in place by lawyers who own title companies who go out of state to create signing companies hiding behind the RESPA to contract notaries whether they are licensed or not to close loans and to then not pay or create a 30, 60, 90 day policy to which is unethical where their actions are double and triple dipping and/or covering up as to working both or three sides of the fence this action may be cause for legal action. (See attached Exhibits). Exhibit – 6 MIA Title Producer dbase; Exhibit – 7; HUD; Exhibit – 8 Background Clearance and other miscellaneous supporting documents Exhibit – 9.

I believe if the research is performed to connect the dots to some political appointees (law firms, title companies) who are listed on the MIA Producer firm, residential/nonresidential database, to research further you will find that some politicians are caught up into this title industry which keeps the fraud active. See Exhibit – 6 MIA Title Producer Firm dbase. Not only are the licensed notaries in the state of Maryland feeling this unjustified act but other notaries who are performing the same service in other states too. I feel that this matter should be heard not just on state level but on the Federal level as well. In stating that Senate Bill 86, Chapter 361 has no barring and does not apply to TIPICS who are Notary Witness Closers who do not handle “TRUST FUND” as stated in Chapter 361-SB-86 Section 10-121 (see attachments) and in stating a Notary Witness Closer is mislabeled as Title Insurer and do not handle any funds.

It doesn’t matter if I am black balled in this industry or if I ever get to close another loan as a licensed mobile notary, for in a couple of years I may not be able to see, walk or drive, but I am standing and will continue to lobby/fight for what is right in this process. I will continue to contest this matter, even if it is just one voice. Deeply, I feel this matter holds ground for a class action process in the support of the license notaries public who are considered to be independent contractors who do not handle trust fund and where these matters can indemnify and deeply affect their livelihood. In conclusion the above subject matter the HUD/RESPA should be revised in support of the Notary Witness Closer (disbursement) and the bond should stay the same $100,000 for the TIPICS only, to not be increased or be dropped.

Barbara J. Taylor
2006 National Notary of the Year
Special Honoree with Highest Honors
MOBILE NOTARIES GROUP, INC.
September 17, 2009

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.