Notary Rotary
CA Notary arrested on fraud charges
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by SOCAL/CA on 9/18/09 12:57am
Msg #304228

A Los Angeles city firefighter and part-time real estate broker pleaded not guilty today to charges that he and his former girlfriend orchestrated a real estate scam in Hacienda Heights.

Brent Lamont Mathews, 43, is charged with six counts of forgery, three counts of attempting to file a false or forged document and two counts of grand theft. His girlfriend at the time, Joi Rochelle Smith, 33, also pleaded not guilty today to the same charges, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said.

Mathews allegedly put his name on the title of a Hacienda Heights property without the owner's knowledge or consent through a series of forgeries and false filings, prosecutors said.

Mathews allegedly then went on to defraud two investors last year after recruiting them as partners to "flip" the house, the district attorney's office said.

The two victims lost $146,000 in the deal, prosecutors said. Smith, a notary public, notarized key documents used in the scam, prosecutors allege.

If convicted, Mathews and Smith could each be sentenced to 11 years in state prison.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/18/09 1:53am
Msg #304229

Good! n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/18/09 10:13am
Msg #304246

......Aaaaah I think he is a firefighter, real estate Broker also; let's not just point the finger at a rouge notary.

Reply by SOCAL/CA on 9/18/09 12:04pm
Msg #304256

Re: Simply posting info, not pointing fingers, geez n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/18/09 1:06pm
Msg #304266

However the girlfriend is a notary.

http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/091609a.htm

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/18/09 1:25pm
Msg #304269

...Duly noted..I do fill sad for the two who were victimized. I read the entire story, thanks for the posting.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.