Notary Rotary
Contact via email only
Notary Discussion History

Contact via email only
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by ikando on 9/25/09 4:39pm
Msg #305058

Contact via email only

I've had contact from 2 signing companies this week who only sent notice (mass mailed, BTW) via email.

I do not have a Blackberry or iPhone, so unless I'm in front of my monitor, I may not see these requests for a notary.

Is this the way of the future? Am I going to be forced to get an email-capable phone so I can receive notice of potential jobs?

The saddest part--low paying SS companies. Would take consistent monthly jobs to justify the added monthly expense.

Reply by mwm143 on 9/25/09 4:59pm
Msg #305063

Yes this is the wave of the future. And having a BB isn't always a sure way of getting the assignments either. There is usually a lapse in time a message is received into your email before it is received on your BB. Some days it can be 20 minutes. And then you have to log in to their website which is also timely and cumbersome using a BB. Chances are if it's worth taking it's already been taken by another notary who just happened to be in front of their computer.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/25/09 6:20pm
Msg #305071

"Would take consistent monthly jobs to justify the added monthly expense."

Even then, you're filling up your calendar with work that doesn't make you much profit, increasing the likelihood that you'll be unavailable if a better-paying company calls. This is why the argument from the low-ballers give that "I'll give you volume" makes absolutely no sense to a notary. It makes good sense to them at their end because they're not the ones actually doing the work. The more volume they get, the more notaries they can hire, but that reasoning doesn't apply to us. We can only be in one place at a time, naturally.

So if someone uses that model in their business plan, they are increasing their overhead by getting a smart phone of some sort for that reason (which will involve much higher monthly fees for most), but reducing the chances for getting higher profit work.

If these trends increase, they will just chase all the good talent out of the business (except for those who have enough direct work and wouldn't even consider those kinds of fees), and most of the work will be going to newbies who don't have a clue. What an exciting prospect!

Reply by MW/VA on 9/25/09 9:46pm
Msg #305097

You might want to check out thread 304460. There was a lot of discussion about this just a couple of days ago.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.