Notary Rotary
Digital Phone Service
Notary Discussion History

Digital Phone Service
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by Richard Ingram on 9/18/09 1:27pm
Msg #304270

Digital Phone Service

I am having problems with my laser fax machine that I have never had before. I cannot fax docs back to a signing service and the reason given is that a digital system will not work. I have recently added a Majic Jack broadband phone but I can't figure out how this would affect my fax.
Anyone with any experience that has any input will be very much appreciated

Reply by MonicaFL on 9/18/09 1:32pm
Msg #304272

I don't have Majicjack because I don't think you can fax with it. Seems when I inquired about this, Majic Jack said they didn't have the capability.

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 9/18/09 1:40pm
Msg #304274

Magic Jack doesn't do faxs...

...I had the same problem when I tried Magic Jack a while ago. It won't send faxes & I don't know why & I couldn't find a work around solution. I ended up sending it back, the Magic Jack that is.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/09 2:05pm
Msg #304278

Re: Magic Jack doesn't do faxs...I use Ring Central

for my Faxes and my laser printer takes care of the printing. I find the cost reasonable and the service excellent: I have a Brother laser FAX I haven't even plugged in for the last year and a half.

Reply by PAW on 9/18/09 2:06pm
Msg #304279

Re: Magic Jack doesn't do faxs...

Since MJ relies on high-speed broadband, many times the "connection" has noise. This doesn't affect digital transmissions, but faxes are analog transmissions and very much affected by the noise. That's why it typically doesn't work and why MJ doesn't support faxes.

Reply by Julie/MI on 9/18/09 2:22pm
Msg #304284

Love the old fashioned land line

when you have the digital installed, you needed to tell them you need to fax. Att had to come out again so that I could fax. I don't know if my problem is the same one you were having, but can't wait to get my real land line back.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/18/09 2:27pm
Msg #304287

Re: Love the old fashioned land line

I have cable internet & phone service. I can't see giving up a land-line in this business.
You always have the option to scan the docs & email them. I know alot of folk are doing that now, insteading of faxing.

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/18/09 2:43pm
Msg #304293

Re: Love the old fashioned land line

I love the land line too. I was trying to use the email fax programs and would find that it would take incredibly long to fax OR sometimes I'd have the successfully faxed messages only to be called by the SS that I needed to fax them the docs.

Note to self, call and cancel internet fax service so that they'll quit dinging my credit card.

Reply by PAW on 9/18/09 2:26pm
Msg #304286

If you have a digital wireless phone system, analog faxes fail. Most fax machines do send analog signals, requiring an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). Typically, home phone systems, even those that piggy-back on cable connections, provide analog telephone connections. For cable systems (Comcast, Time-Warner, Brighthouse, etc.), the MTA (Modem, Telephone Adapter) provides digital connection to the network, but analog connection to the inside phones. So, unless your phone system is truly digital, there may be something else preventing you to use your fax machine.

Reply by Richard Ingram on 9/20/09 9:17am
Msg #304394

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am not using the Magic Jack enough to make it worthwhile. I just disconnected and put it on another computer and laser fax is working fine on my land line.

Reply by desktopfull on 9/18/09 2:56pm
Msg #304297

I love my MJ, but you can't fax, the companies that require fax backs I call and request to scan and email the docs to them. I haven't had any company refuse that request yet, and many have said that they prefer that method because their copy is cleaner than a faxed copy.

Reply by jnew on 9/18/09 5:35pm
Msg #304317

Time Warner phone service will send a fax. No problem. Still have the noise problem, probably my home wiring. I gave up faxing over 5 or 6 pages. Scan and email everything larger. Plus you get instant failure message on email so you don't get a request to resend after you've dumped the Fedex package.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 9/18/09 6:27pm
Msg #304324

650 days with magicjack & maxemail and phone co. free n/m

Reply by Chakwaina on 9/28/09 11:24pm
Msg #305518

Magic Jack will not let you fax.

It's in there FAQ

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.