Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
For those working for the Census Bureau....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by MikeC/NY on 9/23/09 6:52pm
Msg #304736

... a cautionary tale.

I just read this disturbing story from AP news. The guy was out in the boondocks of Kentucky, which may have had something to do with it, but there's so much hatred of the government out there right now... If you're canvassing for the Census Bureau, be careful....

http://tinyurl.com/lxnl5p

Reply by WDMD on 9/23/09 7:20pm
Msg #304739

Saw that. Scary. I got a mailing from the census for my different businessess. They wanted to know everything. How much they grossed, how much I paid for each, how many employees, how much I spend yearly on equipment. You name it, they asked it. It was every bit of 10 pages.

I ignored the first few that came. Then came the threatening one stating if i did not comply, I'd be in violation of several different statutes. So I sent it back, making sure to color outside the ovals they warned I should not go outside of. Let some government slacker earn a days pay deciphering the form for information which is none of their business. These were questions that were not for a survey, but for private information.

Reply by Liz/OR on 9/23/09 9:18pm
Msg #304749

I got the same thing in the mail WDMD and did the same thing! I figured I better do it cause they threatened $4000 fine or misdemeanor or something. I don't see why we had to give them that info. Why should we get a fine for not providing the info.? We file taxes and that's how they found us...I find it somewhat harrassing.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/23/09 8:35pm
Msg #304744

Will you post this over in "Just Politics". I posted something there the other day about the kind of behavior we're seeing in the name of protesting.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/24/09 9:16am
Msg #304797

"there the other day about the kind of behavior we're seeing in the name of protesting."

This probably was not done in the "name of protesting".
The area where he was found has a history of problems with prescription drug and methamphetamine trading. He may have stumbled on something illegal.
Before this is called an "anti government protest" we should know all the facts, which we don't.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 9:23am
Msg #304800

Good point Sylvia. We may never know "the facts"

since the govt. is involved now.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/24/09 10:09am
Msg #304813

Re: Good point Sylvia. We may never know "the facts"

what "tickles me" about this (not the fact that someone was murdered) but that agents (FBI) are trying to determine if foul play was involved and law enforcement agencies have told them that it is an "apparent homicide"

What the heck do they think it is? Do they think he hung himself and scrawled the word "Fed" on his chest?

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 10:40am
Msg #304823

Re: Good point Sylvia. We may never know "the facts"

No, of course not, he scrawled first, then hung himself. Silly woman!

Reply by MW/VA on 9/24/09 9:55am
Msg #304810

True. I was referring to the "fed" written on his body. That could mean many things. Maybe he stumbled on some moonshiners.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/23/09 8:36pm
Msg #304745

How terrible. This is probably someone who took the job in the first place because they were out of work. What a tragedy.

Reply by KODI/CA on 9/24/09 12:20am
Msg #304771

I have worked part time for the census bureau for over a year and look forward to this coming years opportunities.

I have read the article and believe it is an exception.

I carry pepper spray, have hearing aids in both ears with a slider that allows me to press a button and be "live" on 911.

I have never had any reason to use either. And yes, I have been in some very scary districts here in San Diego.

I believe in personal security so I am definately very careful whether working for the Census Bureau or doing Notary Signing Assignments.

If it does not "look" right, I pass.

I have never had a problem with the Census Bureau accepting this position.

For those of you that may want to supplement your income by working with the Census Bureau I encourage you. Pay is fair for supplemental work and they pay 55 cents per mile.

No, I am not advertising for them.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 9/24/09 8:12am
Msg #304787

I will tell you that my husband and many others I know, who scored well into the 90's on the test, were not called for work, even though that they were told at the test site that they would be called.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 9:25am
Msg #304801

Perhaps this test was designed to fall into place

with the current "feel good" policies that no one fails. Can't damage the psyches of the population whether in school or not...LOL. (Golly, this isn't even a laughing matter is it?)

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 9/24/09 10:13am
Msg #304816

Re: Perhaps this test was designed to fall into place

Well, my husband has a Ph.D and is a member of Mensa. I don't think he needs to "feel smart".

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 10:47am
Msg #304826

Shoshana - not to be rude, and I'm not, believe me,

I'm talking about the rank and file average American or resident alien with work ID's. Kids in school (public), no child left behind and all that garbage. TV for those with mentalities of 3rd graders. We, here at NR, do not normally fall into that category.

As someone else said - It is not all about me (or you).

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 9/24/09 11:28am
Msg #304829

Re: Shoshana - not to be rude, and I'm not, believe me,

Ok. The dumbing down of America. I'll buy that.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 9/24/09 9:30am
Msg #304802

I aced the test. Never called. I just hope the jobs went to folks who are unemployed with no other source of income.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/24/09 11:49am
Msg #304833

I got called once....for the training

had a 2 hour commute one way for 5 days for the training....I declined - even though they WERE going to reimburse me $.55/mile for travel - I'd have had to leave my house by 5AM to make it - not worth it to me. They haven't called me since although I did ask to be kept on the list.

Found out later everyone they contacted griped about the location of the training so they changed it to the nearest large city only 15 miles from me - and they never called.

Maybe just as well - was told in that initial call that I was being assigned to an area quite some distance from me - that didn't sit well with me either. So for now, I've given up working with the Census.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/24/09 11:35am
Msg #304830

I was called within hours of taking my test, told I scored highest in the test-class and was advised to BOLO for a call for work by January or February.
The call never came.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/24/09 11:55am
Msg #304834

I took the test, never did get the result with my score but I know I aced it, I was one of 2 people taking it who actually finished before time was up (which I found shocking as the test was so simple). I got called a few months later and offered some supervisory position, but by that point my notary business had gotten back to what used to be normal and I wasn't about to jeopardize it by having to turn down signings because I was working a temp job, so I turned it down.

I think when I took the test they said we could be called at any time within a year or 15 months or something like that, so you're probably still on their list. I have no idea what criteria they use to determine the order they call people.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/24/09 10:15am
Msg #304817

"This is probably someone who took the job in the first place because they were out of work."

He was supplementing his income as a substitute teacher. He had moved to KY to direct the local Boy Scouts of America. Obviously a very civic minded person. Such a sad loss to his community.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/24/09 10:15am
Msg #304818

"This is probably someone who took the job in the first place because they were out of work."

He was supplementing his income as a substitute teacher. He had moved to KY to direct the local Boy Scouts of America. Obviously a very civic minded person. Such a sad loss to his community.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/24/09 2:44am
Msg #304780

The taking of the Census every 10 years is a Constitutional

mandate. I, 2(3). "The actual enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

Census tracts are used for tracking many aspects of American life, and participation is essential in participation of our Democracy.

The murder of a Census Taker in Kentucky is a disturbing outgrowth of this fomented anti-government attitude, and only serves to inflame the dis-union of our populace.

The questions and information gathered are not only for the determination of elected representatives in Congress, it is for statistical analysis of various elements of our economic condition, among other national interests.

Census-taking is not a plot, or some devious conspiracy - it is a legitimate information-gathering of vital national interest and assessment.

Those who are sabotaging that information are not serving their country's best interests. And those who murder census-takers are spineless, non-thinking cowards.

God speed to our Census-takers.

Reply by WDMD on 9/24/09 4:18am
Msg #304781

BS n/m

Reply by Norman Tasey on 9/24/09 5:43am
Msg #304782

My husband quit the census when.....

he discovered that the information on the "family survey" appeared to be anything BUT for determining the number of elected Congressman per congressional district.

We are wondering what has happened to our Constitution and our rights. This survey is in direct conflict to such. Wake up sheeple!!!

Yes, we needed the money BUT, not at the expense of privacy invasion.

If anyone has the "family survey" perhaps you might wonder why you are being asked such personal questions. Every household will get the survey and they are careful not to mass mail this survey to any one area at a time. In this way we the people cannot get together to protest collectively.

Asking for the number of residents in our household IS for our countrys best interest. The rest of the questions ARE unconstitutional.
Yes, the census originally was for determining the number of elected Congressman per area. Now, sad to say, it is for information gathering.

There appeared to be census information involved with Japanese American interments, hence a betrayal to the American public. Let's NOT travel down that road again!

Nothing un-american about our household and we will NOT to complying with any questions not directly asking for the number of residents that reside here.

I pray for Gods mercy on our nation and may He open your eyes. God bless all!

Reply by WDMD on 9/24/09 6:36am
Msg #304785

Good Post

Some folks can't comprehend what they are reading. No one said it was un-constitutional or a conspiracy. The information they require now in the census the IRS can't even release because of privacy issues. Now, you get threatened with fines if you don't "voluntarily" give up the information.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 9/24/09 9:22am
Msg #304799

Re: Good Post

I am one one of the lucky ones (not). My home address no matter who lives here has a different form. I have to show my utility bills, phone bills and I can't remember what all else. They want to know if I have a dishwasher, washer and dryer , how many bedrooms, baths, etc etc etc. I have no idea how we got selected, but this address will always be that way. A complete survey, census, whatever you want to call it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/24/09 12:05pm
Msg #304835

Norman, since I haven't seen the survey yet

care to share what about it is so objectionable? Just curious.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 12:53pm
Msg #304840

See WDMD's msg #304739 - that's scary! n/m

Reply by Norman Tasey on 9/24/09 1:11pm
Msg #304842

Linda! Read Linda Juenger post above

Hi Linda, Linda above contains some of the questions. . Any disabled individuals at your address. If so and if they are employed. Do you work, if not why? This kind of questioning under threat of fines and imprisionment is uncalled for.

Minorities in your houshold? Value of your home? How much land DO YOU OWN? ETC ETC

Reply by parkerc/ME on 9/24/09 9:34am
Msg #304804

Re: The taking of the Census every 10 years is a Constitutional

I have no problem with providing census information. It's been done longer than I've been alive. As far as providing personal information . . there's probably more revealed on Facebook than in a census.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 9:36am
Msg #304806

Fine - then let them get info from facebook! n/m

Reply by trnsa_IL on 9/24/09 10:42am
Msg #304824

They are............ n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/24/09 9:36am
Msg #304805

Re: The taking of the Census every 10 years is a Constitutional

The "head count" is the only part of the census called for by the constitution.
Anything else is unconstitutional
(Maybe this should be moved to politics)

Reply by Norman Tasey on 9/24/09 1:15pm
Msg #304843

Sylvia,article admits to workers collecting for fed agancies

The Census Bureau has yet to begin door-to-door canvassing for the 2010 head count, but it has thousands of field workers doing smaller surveys on various demographic topics on behalf of federal agencies. Next year, the Census Bureau will dispatch up to 1.2 million temporary employees to locate hard-to-find residents.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 9/24/09 12:30pm
Msg #304837

How terribly sad

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.