Notary Rotary
If you have a child in college
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by John_NorCal on 9/24/09 2:48pm
Msg #304864

There is a change (for the better!) coming in the Hope education credits. Now known as the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Got this from my latest IRS newsletter.

Here are six important facts the IRS wants you to know about the new American Opportunity Tax Credit:

This credit, which expands and renames the existing Hope Credit, can be claimed for qualified tuition and related expenses that you pay for higher education in 2009 and 2010. Qualified tuition and related expenses include tuition, related fees, books and other required course Materials.
The credit is equal to 100 percent of the first $2,000 spent and 25 percent of the next $2,000 per student each year. Therefore, the full $2,500 credit may be available to a taxpayer who pays $4,000 or more in qualifying expenses for an eligible student.
The full credit is generally available to eligible taxpayers who make less than $80,000 or $160,000 for married couples filing a joint return. The credit is gradually reduced, however, for taxpayers with incomes above these levels.
Forty percent of the credit is refundable, so even those who owe no tax can get up to $1,000 of the credit for each eligible student as cash back.
The credit can be claimed for qualified expenses paid for any of the first four years of post-secondary education.
You cannot claim the tuition and fees tax deduction in the same year that you claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. You must choose to either take the credit or the deduction, which ever is more beneficial for you.
Complete details on the American Opportunity Tax Credit and other key tax provisions of the Recovery Act are available at the official IRS Web site at IRS.gov/Recovery.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/24/09 2:55pm
Msg #304868

Thanks for posting, John! I have two kids in college right now. Next year I'll have three.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 9/24/09 3:50pm
Msg #304883

Thx. I will definitely look into this. I have a senior in college right now. Can't wait till I have a life after HIS college!!! lol

Reply by Molly/Ca on 9/24/09 4:37pm
Msg #304889

Great information! Thank you!

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/25/09 7:32am
Msg #304964

I have been worrying about this year

My college senior goes to school in MN. Until a week ago WI and MN had a recipriocity agreement on income taxes. Add to that her employment with the federal gov this summer in Yellowstone. It's going to be really confusing. She also works in MN.
I think I'll let someone else do her taxes.

Reply by Susan Bryant on 9/25/09 3:53pm
Msg #305042

Re: I have been worrying about this year

Thank you fo the info...I have a daughter in her second year of college and I'm in my first. Good information. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.