Notary Rotary
Nations Direct
Notary Discussion History

Nations Direct
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by ebrand on 9/11/09 10:07am
Msg #303511

Nations Direct

They have called me three times between yesterday and today, I told them I would be happy to do their signing, but not for what they were offering. She asked my fee and then she said "are you an attorney", I told her I was not. I told her that I hoped that they found someone (sincerely!) and she said they already have someone, but they can't do it at the time that the borrower is available. I guess that means you don't have anyone...

$60 is what they offered.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/11/09 10:11am
Msg #303512

"She asked my fee and then she said "are you an attorney"

That's an odd question - in all the times I've been called by Nations Direct and quoted my fee (including the call just a couple days ago) they've never asked me that - and KS isn't an attorney-only state as far as I know .... I'm curious what you said that prompted that question.

My call a couple day ago they needed to "get approval" for my fee - needless to say I never heard anything further.

Reply by ebrand on 9/11/09 10:18am
Msg #303513

When they called me last night, they told me that same, they would get an approval and call back. They called back for sure Smile Not with an approval.

Reply by ebrand on 9/11/09 10:24am
Msg #303514

I didn't say anything to her other then I would not do it for $60, she was being smart with me on the attorney comment.

Reply by janCA on 9/11/09 10:32am
Msg #303515

Let them know that if they "do" call back with an approval, the fee will have gone up by $20 or so. This shopping around really sticks in my crawl.(sp)

Reply by Joshua Basil on 9/11/09 12:18pm
Msg #303527

I think it is so funny how upset notaries get when signing services shop around, the simple fact is that is it common business practice in most industries...If you were to remodel your home, would you just accept the first quote you get from a contractor or would you call around to get the best price. If you were to hire a gardner to mow your lawn would you just pay any price you were quoted or would you call around to get the best price. As notaries we are all independent business owners and have the right to quote any price for our services. If an assignment does not pay enough for your time and effort then turn it down, but don't blame the company for shopping around....I do lots of work for nations direct and you can castrate me for accepting there fee if you like but the fact is, their loans take me 30 t0 45 min to close and they have high volume. IMO it is well worth my time and effort..

I also do plenty of work for title companies that pay $300+ per closing so I work both ends of the spectrum, in this time of economic crisis it is up to each agent what they are willing to do to stay afloat.
Just my .02

Reply by janCA on 9/11/09 12:45pm
Msg #303533

The best price isn't always the best service. I do my research and I get referrals when I hire someone to work at my home and it isn't always someone with the low bid. You work for an SS, so of course, your views are going to be skewed on this subject matter. Forty-five minutes is the norm for most loans, refi's, or what have you, depending on the number of notarizations, which can take up much of the signing time, and I still charge the same. If you're accepting low fees from Nations Direct, more power to you. You're just aiding in bringing down the rest of us who do this full time and trying to keep our fees at a decent level.

Reply by Joshua Basil on 9/11/09 1:05pm
Msg #303534

Jan you are 100 per cent right, the lowest fee does not mean the best services at all, however there are still allot of notaries that are well versed in there field that can be hired for this fee. I can only speak for Ca because that is where I reside, there are probably 1000 notaries in a 10 mile radius of my location(thanks NNA). Like I said it is up to each notary to decide what work they will accept or deny...For my area If I turn down the assignment, then someone else will accept it. I do not have the revenue to turn down assignments from companies that I know will Pay. Their fees are low but they do always pay, and as we all know that is becoming a problem for many notary signing agents. As far as Nations I am willing to accept their fee as a direct result of there volume of closings. I agree that since I do work for a Signing Service I have a different point of view, I can see on both sides of the Fence so to speak. I agree with most issues that the common Signing Agent faces and I do try to bring that understanding to the signing service I work for, however I also see their point of view and take that into account that as well..

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/09 2:50pm
Msg #303561

Joshua
I own a signing service, and I do not shop around for the "best price".
My father always told me a "labourer is worthy of his hire"

I have called notaries for a signing and sometimes they quote me their fee and often it is less than what I normally pay and I let them know they are selling themselves short, and I pay them what I normally pay.

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/11/09 3:03pm
Msg #303565

Bravo to you Sylvia...that is very commendable. n/m

Reply by Joshua Basil on 9/11/09 3:04pm
Msg #303566

Sylvia I agree if quoted less than what your Standard pricing is set at you should pay the notary your normal fees, however I'm sure you have contracts with your clients and have a standard fee..the fact is as a signing service there are a lot of time that I am sure you do what it takes at your expense to get the job done. In order to balance the books you need to keep your profit percentage on the majority of your orders. Also I don't believe Nations Direct shops around for the "Best Price" they simply shop around for their set fee. Every time I have accept a closing for their fee, I've been assigned the closing. I'm sure they only keep looking when quoted above there set fee.

I don't work for them so I can not really say what there polices are, I'm just going based on my experience as one of their signing agents.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/09 5:06pm
Msg #303598

Yes, I have a standard fee for the title companies. There are times when I have paid a notary above the standard fee I pay ($100 for overnight, and $135 for e-docs - most of mine are overnight docs and the loan officer is often present at the signing) if the notary has had to travel a little further than normal. Plus I pay for no-signs, so I don't make any money on those, but if the notary has gone to the signing and spent time with the borrowers then they have earned their full fee.

As long as I have been in this business, Nations Direct has a reputation of being low-ballers.

Reply by SharonMN on 9/11/09 3:18pm
Msg #303571

Ah, but Joshua, if my basement were flooding because of a broken pipe, I would be glad to get a plumber who could come right away and get the job done at a reasonable price. I would grab that guy right away. I wouldn't shop around to see if I could find someone who charges $10 less, and maybe my available plumber becomes unavailable while I'm shopping. So if companies expect us to jump at the last minute, they need to pay accordingly. But generally, I agree with you - if someone can't meet my fee, I say thank you for the call and move on. I'm certainly not holding the appointment for them while they shop around, though.

Joshua said: I think it is so funny how upset notaries get when signing services shop around, the simple fact is that is it common business practice in most industries...If you were to remodel your home, would you just accept the first quote you get from a contractor or would you call around to get the best price.

Reply by Joshua Basil on 9/11/09 3:32pm
Msg #303577

Sharon, you say:

"if my basement were flooding because of a broken pipe, I would be glad to get a plumber who could come right away"

I'm sure if a Signing service has a last min closing that they need the notary to print and go, they would not have the luxury of holding out to meet their fee, yet at the same time if they are scheduling a closing that is a few days out their not going to be in a hurry to pay an extra fee and lower there profit margin.

Reply by janCA on 9/11/09 9:58pm
Msg #303623

They're, their and there

Okay, this is driving me crazy.

They're - contraction for they are
Their - Possessive - their documents
there - toward, to or in that place.

Just FYI.

Reply by TRG_wy on 9/12/09 8:45am
Msg #303631

Re: They're, their and there Thank You Jan - me2! n/m

Reply by Todd/OH on 9/11/09 10:41am
Msg #303516

Any attorney would charge at least $100 more than your quote - perhaps double. $60 is an absolute joke.

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/11/09 12:07pm
Msg #303524

Todd, I did not see his quoted price anywhere? I would

assume that the atty. question was because his quote was much higher than what they were expecting, or what they were quoted by others while shopping. His choice though, either accept low pay or no assignment.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/11/09 1:48pm
Msg #303547

They have a different fee structure for attorneys & pay them considerably more.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.