Notary Rotary
Need feedback
Notary Discussion History

Need feedback
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by Ocean Pacific Notary Services, Inc. on 9/23/09 9:36pm
Msg #304753

Need feedback

The notary on a closing, wrote in the date (next to the signature lines) on every document and then photocopied the docs. He had the borrowers sign the copies that had the photocopied dates on them. All of the docs have the borrowers original signatures but the dates are not original nor are they in the borrowers handwriting. It also appears that some of his documents have a photo copy of his notary stamp. His signature is original but the stamp on some of the acknowledgments is a photocopy. (NY CLOSING)

Notary tells me that he has been doing this for 10 Yrs and no one has complained until now. And since this is the case, clearly the error is mine, since I did not instruct him that the dating of docs by notary was NOT TO BE DONE. Of course, he feels he should not have to go back and correct.

Ok - 10,000+ loans and this is a first (I have only signed 2500). Clearly I must be crazy Smile

Reply by Jacqueline Dyson on 9/23/09 9:38pm
Msg #304754

Why???

Reply by MW/VA on 9/23/09 9:49pm
Msg #304755

How bizarre! I'm with you & I'm not getting the purpose of any of this. I've always been told never to date for the borrower or use a date stamp. The photocopy thing really has me baffled.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/23/09 9:53pm
Msg #304756

Why would he photocopy? bizarre

Reply by Ocean Pacific Notary Services, Inc. on 9/23/09 9:55pm
Msg #304759

Thank you all - I just needed to be sure I was not totally losing it Smile as I do have my moments. And I so feel better when the seasoned pros set me straight.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/23/09 10:04pm
Msg #304762

I can understand that. This is one of those "twilight zone" things for sure.

Reply by Ocean Pacific Notary Services, Inc. on 9/23/09 9:53pm
Msg #304758

Borrowers were quite capable of dating their own docs. This was for a refi

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/23/09 10:32pm
Msg #304764

I don't care how long this notary has been in business. You never have your own handwriting within the documents, only on your notary section. I would not use this notary again, not even for correction.

I had one lender that requested I put the dates on the RTC, but no others. This is insane. Photo copies!!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/24/09 12:05am
Msg #304770

This notary has not done thousands of signings and gotten away with his sort of signing for very long.

What was he thinking? Next he will be telling you he carries "white-out" and can fix everything that is wrong.

This notary wants to spend less time with the borrower(s) and get "Out of Dodge" quickly.

He has has figured out way to do this in less time.

He can copy the loan documents with the date and his commission seal already on the less vital/important documents and save several minutes having to deal with the borrower(s) signing the docs.

Reply by OR on 9/24/09 1:04am
Msg #304773

Re: Need feedback..A while back I remember a post on Not ...

I remember a post on Not Rot I read where the Notary was at the table, she found a missing date. She picked up the borrowers pen and wrote a date in where it was missing. The loan did not fund it had to be redrawn and resigned. That taught me never to date for the borrowers. I will let them date for each other but I will never do it for them. I looked for the post and could not find it. Maybe some one else can.

I think it is odd that no one else thought he was doing something wrong. The line does say borrower ______________date "NOT" borrower_____________notaries date. I would love to know how that turns out.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/24/09 2:26am
Msg #304778

Re: Need feedback..A while back I remember a post on Not ...

I usually tell the borrowers to have the date in their own handwriting and to NOT date for each other. Some lenders won't care, but I never know whether or not I have a package for one who DOES care. Better safe than sorry - and I feel it's also a good habit to get into. The only exceptions I might make would be for someone who's having a major problem filling in a form (e.g. bad arthritis or a literacy issue), but even then, I will try to have them do their own dates, if at all possible.

Reply by ChristineHI on 9/24/09 1:25am
Msg #304775

The weirdest part is the photo copying part. Where are the pages with the original dates? Why did he date them and then photocopy them?
You are not losing it. In 18 years of doing this I have never heard of that either.

FYI: I look forward to meeting you in person very soon. ALOHA!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/24/09 2:19am
Msg #304777

Holy Moley, Gina. "New" originals? Good grief.

He's wacka-wacka.

He can't go back and correct - he's not competent; how can one trust his "originals'? Geez, after 10 years of this, can you imagine his shredding bill? If he shreds...

Clearly, there is no "error" on your part, and you're not crazy.

Reply by Doris_CO on 9/24/09 10:11am
Msg #304815

Re: Holy Moley, Gina. "New" originals? Good grief.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember being told that the bar code on these docs cannot be read if it's a copy of the original. I don't know if that's true or not, but I won't make copies of anything with a bar code that I must send to title or the lender.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/09 10:44am
Msg #304825

Doris - if you print docs, you are getting copies...

and if a mistake is made, you are switching for copies in BO's pkg.

If you print labels for FedEx, UPS, etc., you are printing bar codes too. And so on.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/24/09 2:29am
Msg #304779

Seems to me that this is someone who is clearly missing a basic concept of what a loan signing is all about. Worst part is that he probably feels he is being very clever by doing this, saving himself a bunch of time! Next thing he'll want to do is get a stamp with his signature on it... Oy Vey!!!

Reply by 101livescan on 9/24/09 7:30am
Msg #304786

Most notaries would never think to do this. I go through every package, tick off with my writing pen the line for signature and where a date is needed. The borrowers MUST date themselves. Some lenders are adamant about each borrower writing in their own dates. Often wife will say, I'll date for my husband. NO CAN DO. Use the same color of ink on all documents in a package. The lenders want consistency. I think this is the pinnacle of laziness on the part of the notary. I also believe he's been a lucky lout not to have been called on this before. A copy of a notary seal? I know that our county recorder would kick it back.

Recently I notarized a quit claim deed for an attorney in my building, and it was kicked back because the signer had two capacities in the vesting, the writing was so small I didn't see that, so I ended up preparing a different acknowledgment to reflect CAPACITIES.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/24/09 8:27am
Msg #304788

"Recently I notarized a quit claim deed for an attorney in my building, and it was kicked back because the signer had two capacities in the vesting, the writing was so small I didn't see that, so I ended up preparing a different acknowledgment to reflect CAPACITIES."

Thought you couldn't do that in CA...

Reply by Dave_CA on 9/24/09 10:07am
Msg #304812

We can't certify capacity but I believe he is saying he corrected capacity to capacity(ies).

Reply by PAW on 9/24/09 8:57am
Msg #304791

>>> A copy of a notary seal? I know that our county recorder would kick it back. <<<

The laws of the State of New York do not require the use of seals by notaries public. If a seal is used, it should sufficiently identify the notary public, his authority and jurisdiction. It is the opinion of the Department of State that the only inscription required is the name of the notary and the words “Notary Public for the State of New York.”

Reply by Sandra Clark on 9/24/09 9:01am
Msg #304793

Hope you don't plan on using this notary for the re-sign. Totally unbelievable! Never heard of such a thing.

Reply by DonR_NYC on 9/24/09 10:06am
Msg #304811

To add to Paul's post the notary, when affiximg his signature and his commission information, must use BLACK ink. Additionally, when commissioned within any of the five counties of NYC, the notary must add their commission ID number (See NYS Executive Law Section 137).

Reply by Ocean Pacific Notary Services, Inc. on 9/24/09 10:10am
Msg #304814

Thank you all for the feedback.

Reply by Therese on 9/24/09 10:21am
Msg #304819

unbelievable....where do you find these people n/m

Reply by Philip Johnson on 9/24/09 2:02pm
Msg #304854

Just send out emails and folks will call you back. n/m

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/24/09 9:18am
Msg #304798

Print AND Copy? That's just silly as far as costs! What he may have saved in time; he'd lose in printing costs.

Yep, I'm always looking at the profit margin. Don't judge me. :0)

good morning all!!

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/24/09 11:46am
Msg #304832

"Yep, I'm always looking at the profit margin. Don't judge me"

Judge you? EVERYONE on this board should always be looking at the profit margin. That's kind of the whole point of having a business, to make money.

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/24/09 11:08am
Msg #304828

This guy has lost his mind.

I cannot figure what he is trying to accomplish by doing this, if he wanted to pre-date the docs to make the closing quicker, I can see someone doing that...it is WRONG, but I can still see someone doing that. But I have never used a copy machine that is quicker than a printer, so why copy? Why use the copies to sign? Why worry whether the BO copies have dates on them?

If he has been doing this for ten years he must do one or two a year to get away with this kind of careless work.

Did need a good laugh though. Thanks Gina.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 9/24/09 12:27pm
Msg #304836

He clearly doesn't know the rules and I find it hard to believe your the first to complain.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/24/09 12:51pm
Msg #304839

"I find it hard to believe your the first to complain."

It's the same thing as when a company asks us to backdate, we tell them it's illegal, and their answer is always "but all the other notaries we've ever asked to do it always do it, you're the first one to refuse". We know that's BS, they know that's BS, it's just part of the song and dance between notaries and hiring entities.

Reply by Laura_V on 9/25/09 10:21am
Msg #305008

10,000 loans signed. Yeah, right.

Tangent -

I can't believe the number of people saying they have signed zillions of packages when they have signed probably less than 100.

There's an NSA in my county who recently changed her NotRot profile from 2,000 signings to 25,000 signings. 23K increase in the space of two years!

23K signings in two years = 221 signings a week.

Plus there are only 175,000 people in this HUGE county (2,200 sq miles). So all the signings over the last couple of years put together do not equal 23K. She says she covers part of the next county down. That county has far fewer people than this one.

And even the 2K was a lie. I happen to know a friend of hers who said she only does signings on weekends and evenings as she has a full time job.

Her lies don't hurt me because I don't take work from TCs and SSs. But I hate to see someone lie so blatantly and make better NSAs than her look bad. Most of the NSAs here are nice gals.

I wrote to her and she hasn't changed her profile. Jerk.

vent vent vent vent

Reply by Laura_V on 9/25/09 1:52pm
Msg #305021

My apologies. Made a big mistake. n/m

Reply by Laura_V on 9/25/09 1:55pm
Msg #305022

My mistake. Apologies to OP

My apologies, R.

I thought the notary had claimed 10K signings, not 10K signings done by your company.

An NSA claiming a huge number of signings then acting like a total newbie on your assignment made sense to me because one idiot NSA has done in my county has done just this.

Big error on my part. Def my bad.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.