Notary Rotary
Not O/T. Make sure you are backing up your computers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by jojo_MN on 9/10/09 11:09pm
Msg #303490

at least every day. I was doing it once per week. Learned my lesson. My computer was somehow infected last Friday. Did not have any internet, my systems were all "shut off and disabled" in the admiinstrators mode. All of my antifivus software and firewalls and backups weredisabled by late Friday night. Luckily,when I first started seeing the symptoms, I purchased a 1T external hard drive. I spent three beautiful days (Labor Day weekend) sitting glued to my computer while I talked thru all the files with first internet tech support, then HP tech support. After over 30 hours on the phone, it was decided that we need to do a computer recovery.

I was able to save my documents and exel but cant open them because I no longer have the print drivers or programs to open the Word and Exel documents. Slowly I am getting themback.

What I am trying to say, if if you value your sanity, make sure you back up a minimum of once per day, preferably daily. Keep all installation discs in one place. (I am now using a CD case that will be kept in my safe). I will never go thru this again. knock on wood.

Also, if you do have this happen, remember PAW has many of the print utilites listed on his website. (Thanks Paul!)

Hope you are all having an extremely profitable week!

Reply by Michelle/AL on 9/11/09 11:47am
Msg #303520

Thank you, jojo, for your post. I was backing up my

computer on a regular basis but then "fell off the wagon". It's been longer than I want to admit. Your post reminded me that I better get back at it.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/11/09 1:42pm
Msg #303541

JoJo..I had this same issue a couple of months ago! My problem was caused by a power outage as my system was loading up! My husband is my IT guy and he had a heck of a time. He did a computer recovery after all other attempts. After recovery my Excel and workd also would not return. We finally gave up a bought a new computer! All is back to normal!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/12/09 10:49pm
Msg #303701

Does anyone use those online automatic backup programs?

I've been seeing several advertised recently and it seems like a pretty good idea. The cost seems to be minimal vs. cost of potential problem, as jojo_MN has demonstrated. (Sorry you had to go through all that!)

Any precautions of what to avoid or particular recommendations? I'd want to make sure the company was very trustworthy and reliable before depending on them, but the concept sounds appealing. tia!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.