Notary Rotary
Notarizing POA Help
Notary Discussion History

Notarizing POA Help
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by anita55109 on 9/29/09 8:16am
Msg #305541

Notarizing POA Help

Ugh, haven't done one of these in a while and now it seems I can't think. I did a refi where the daughter had power of attorney. How do I notarize the signature and what do I write in the blank area where it is asking for whose ID was presented and whose signature am I notarizing. I've looked in the orange button and not really found what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/29/09 8:36am
Msg #305542

You can always call your hiring party w/questions. POA is usually John Doe by Jane Doe, attorney in fact. Initials are JD by JD, aif. Notary certificate is name of person who appeared before you.
I often write up a small "cheat sheet" to help the borrower. They often get confused with the language. LOL

Reply by PAW on 9/29/09 10:06am
Msg #305554

In addition to what Marilynn said, if your state allows you to show represented capacity in your certificates, then you add that capacity in. Such as: " ... by Jane Doe, attorney-in-fact for John Doe ..." You should always show the name of the person who is physically present and signing, first, followed by the name of the name of person within the document (principal, grantor, etc.)

Reply by jba/fl on 9/29/09 10:13am
Msg #305556

Many times the Closing Instructins within the lender docs will give the verbage to be used. If not, call the hiring entity and ask... sometimes they have their own way. Your own state manual should be of help as well.

Reply by anita55109 on 9/29/09 10:20am
Msg #305558

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Reply by jba/fl on 9/29/09 11:51am
Msg #305573

I see that none of us addressed

"what do I write in the blank area where it is asking for whose ID was presented"

Whoever is standing in front of you signing. today.

Reply by Les_CO on 9/29/09 12:12pm
Msg #305576

Remember different States have different laws. The wording you use could depend on where the property is located. As if in PA one does not use “attorney in fact” one uses the term “Agent”
You may find this useful:
http://www.wi-agency.ctic.com/Slides%20&%20pdfs/Signature1.PDF

Reply by MW/VA on 9/29/09 1:16pm
Msg #305583

Thanks for the great info.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.