Notary Rotary
Notary seal on every page??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by Amy/CA on 9/11/09 4:41pm
Msg #303594

Would appreciate feedback here. Apparently it's a gray area? Signer presents notarized contract (POA) to Chinese Consulate. Chinese consulate rejects it because notary seal is only affixed to the ack page (which of course is the proper procedure) but consulat wants notary seal stamped on each page of contract for cross ref purposes. Sec of State says legal codes describe what a notary CAN DO AND DOES DO (and it doesn't include affixing seals to sep. pages of a contract), so I decline to signer explaining not legal to do so. Signer begs claiming she researched and can't find anywhere that act would be IL-LEGAL and Chinese Consulate requires it. Where do you all stand? Thanks.

Reply by janCA on 9/11/09 4:48pm
Msg #303595

Unless there's a signature to notarize on each page, it would be illegal to affix your stamp, it's just that simple.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/11/09 5:21pm
Msg #303600

Not a gray area at all. See page 11 of the handbook ..

"Also, a notary public seal and signature cannot be affixed to a document
without the correct notarial wording."

Reply by PAW on 9/11/09 5:29pm
Msg #303602

Sounds like the document may need to be Apostilled. (Actually, notary certificate may need state authentication.) Another alternative is an embossed seal. All documents that I send out of country are embossed on all pages as well as stamped on the signature page. The 'stamp' being the official notary seal in FL.

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/11/09 7:15pm
Msg #303610

Embosser is an official seal in Cal. so that wouldn't work in this case. I would point out the handbook wording and leave it at that.

Reply by PAW on 9/11/09 7:19pm
Msg #303611

Agree, John.

Obviously, if the embossed seal is considered an official seal, embossing each page is certainly out of the question.

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/11/09 10:49pm
Msg #303625

Embosser is not an official seal in California

The rubber stamp is used, because it must be photographically reproducible. The embosser can be used in "addition" to the rubber stamp. In this case, I would place my stamp on the signature page with the proper notarial verbiage. I would emboss each of the other pages and see if it flies.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/12/09 7:26pm
Msg #303660

Where does this misinformation come from????

An embosser is perfectly legal to use in CA! It may not be accepted for recording unless it is properly inked but inkers are available. I use both a stamp and an embosser depending on what the situation calls for.

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/15/09 2:10pm
Msg #303950

Re: Where does this misinformation come from????

I think you misunderstood my post Charles. Of course we can use an embosser in CA, in addition to our stamped seal. I use a combo of both all the time, especially for adoption papers, papers going out of country and attached loose certificates.

Rarely will a notary in CA have an embosser with ink on it, so that the seal would meet the requirements of photographically reproducible. Most will use their rubber stamp and a plain embosser. Actually most don't own an embosser. I find it very difficult to even squeeze the thing to get a clear emboss. I wish they made these as a debosser instead. Lowering the impression, rather than raising.

Reply by Art_PA on 9/12/09 3:44pm
Msg #303651

My guess is that you use your embosser on every page & that this is what they are looking for. It is a good practice to use it even if not required so that someone in a place where an embosser is required does not reject the document. From your point of view, it is also a way to be sure that pages are not changed in a multipage document.

Some countries also require that your notary commission not expire before the official act that it relates to, adoptions in my experience, is finished.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/13/09 1:05am
Msg #303709

Embosser solution sounds like the answer to the

client's prayers.

Helping nice people leave that country is a good thing, just say'in.

Reply by Laura_V on 9/13/09 7:26am
Msg #303714

I use an embossed seal every time I notarize

I'm with you, Art. I add both an ink and a embossed seal to every doc I notarize.

Most of my clients think the machined image is cool and like to pass their finger over the embossed area before they put the papers away.

Plus using an embosser makes me look very professional since my competitors don't use one.

It's part of my "white glove" service approach.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/13/09 8:53am
Msg #303719

Re: I use an embossed seal every time I notarize

Great suggestion, Laura. I think using the ink stamp has made me a bit lazy.

Reply by SharonMN on 9/14/09 10:03am
Msg #303798

Re: I use an embossed seal every time I notarize

...using an embosser makes me look very professional since my competitors don't use one...

Seriously? Since when does using something that is neither required nor standard industry practice makes you look more professional? I hate when people get all excited about the stamp/seal - in my experience, those are the types of folks that tend to ignore the process behind the stamp/seal and not understand why we can't backdate or notarize without the person appearing before us with proper ID. They just want the pretty stamp/seal to "make it official."

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/09 3:14pm
Msg #303744

Comments re: embossing

I wholeheartedly agree with having and using an embosser, especially on documents which have to go outside of the country. It's a courtesy that notaries dealing with a large foreign born population in their community should always consider adding.

On the other hand, until someone gets the "ok" from their secretary of state, though, I don't agree with embossing every page.

Authenticating the notary's seal on a document is the the Texas Secretary of State's job. I just don't see how going further than the stated rules of my commission is a good idea.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/09 3:15pm
Msg #303745

Re: Comments re: embossing - correction

I said, "On the other hand, until someone gets the "ok" from their secretary of state, though, I don't agree with embossing every page."

Didn't need "though" in that sentence.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.