Notary Rotary
Rude borrowers
Notary Discussion History

Rude borrowers
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by NCsignguy on 9/20/09 8:56pm
Msg #304418

Rude borrowers

95% + of my closings go smooth. Seems lately I have had some rude people to sign. From them being late, spending several minutes on a phone call while at the signing, they get mad when I say I cant answerer any of these question my job is to witness the closing and I point out on the instructions where it says this. I always make a confirmation call and say please speak to your loan officer before closing review all term, rates and fees I will not be able to answer any of these questions. How do you deal with some of these people?

Reply by jba/fl on 9/20/09 9:17pm
Msg #304419

I laugh at them while I am telling them: "I'm just the messenger and we no longer shoot the messenger". Most times this diffuses the moment and we can all get our heads screwed back on properly and continue.

Humor is the best way to deal with it...esp. if you can get them to find the silliness and start laughing. Once they start laughing then you can mention, "Good, we're all laughing together now so let's see what we've got here..." or whatever pops into your now cheery mindset.

Reply by seddy on 9/21/09 8:39am
Msg #304439

Great advice Julie! n/m

Reply by CF on 9/21/09 9:00am
Msg #304441

I agree jba/fl...humor and agreeing with them

usually puts them at ease. I use the messenger analogy and quickly put of the options of calling their LO; and let them know it is THEIR decision if they sign or not. Also, if that is not working I have asked outright "please do not get upset with me....I only know what is in black and white here on the pages....I am not responsible for any of the figures". Then I go over who the TC is and reference their Lender.

Reply by RickG/CA on 9/21/09 10:03am
Msg #304447

Re: "find the silliness and start laughing"

Yeah, just pull out the "Fact Act" notice and have them read it.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 9/21/09 10:16am
Msg #304451

Re: "find the silliness and start laughing"

"I always make a confirmation call and say please speak to your loan officer before closing review all term, rates and fees I will not be able to answer any of these questions. How do you deal with some of these people?"

You actually tell them to speak to their LO about the terms when you call to confirm? I have never done this. Does anyone else do this?

Reply by jonpa on 9/21/09 10:24am
Msg #304453

When I get a rude borrower....I just explain to them that I am not a lawyer, therefor I cannot give legal advise, the continue to say without missing a beat....I a just a Notary that live uner a rock on a hill in the middle of no where...what am I allowed to know. After a few laughs then advise them to call the LO and that they have the 3 days RTC. I hope this helps.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/21/09 10:44am
Msg #304458

Same here..

But I always add my favorite line...If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I have littler than anybody.

Reply by L.G (Buc) Alboucq on 9/21/09 12:57pm
Msg #304477

communication difficulty

If English is not their first language, there is a problem. This has been happening way too often lately

Reply by MikeC/NY on 9/21/09 5:19pm
Msg #304514

As others have said, try defusing it with humor first. If that doesn't work, you might find a 2x4 helpful... Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.