This one's a challenge...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by CH2inCA on 9/2/09 12:44pm
Msg #302586

I think I'm missing something here...
Got this email this morning. I've crossed out the name and such..

"Hi, this notary is for an Apostille for a DOJ fingerprint response that did not have a signature or seal from the Bureau of Criminal Identification. see below
Subject: FW: notary for calif.st.DOJ background check
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:25:15 -0700
Tried 3 Madera notaries and all the Madera Notaries that I contacted are unavailable at this time, must be the labor Day Holiday. Below, i typed most of the info from the fingerprint response onto this email.
I was told by Dev (916)653-3299 of the Notary Public Section of the Calif. Sec'y of State, in Sacramento, to contact a Calif. Notary Public and he said I could do it from here in South Korea.
My school number here is xxx but use the country code for South Korea. Double check this but i think it is 82. Also, i can send you a notarized statement from the American Embassy in Seoul that I am in fact, xxxxx, the person of record. Besides that I can send a copy of an apostille from the Fresno City background check that was rejected because now the South Korean Immigration no longer want city background checks but seem to accept only state (California) background checks.
Subject: notary for calif.st.DOJ background check
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:03:23 -0700
As a former resident of Madera, now living in South Korea, I hope you can notarize a fingerprint response I received from the Calif. State Dept. of Justice. References from Madera are listed below. The problem is that there was no signature or department seal, only a printed letter with the letterhead. State of California, Department of Justice, Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
P.O. Box 903417
Sacramento, CA 94203-4170
Date: 08/05/2009 [I deleted background check info here] also "there is no criminal history information meeting dissemination criterion pursuant to California law, on the above-named individual."
I will send the original in the mail by postal express when I hear from you and your fee requirement. Will send in the mail by express. You will then forward the notarized letter to the State DEpt. to the:
Calif. Sec. of State, Notary Public Section,PO Box942877,Sacramento, CA 94277-0001
Contact person Devo- (916)653-3299
with my cover letter and the original
and my $20 check for the Apostille, and of course, a return letter with my,address in South korea.

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/2/09 12:46pm
Msg #302587

Just wondering if there IS a way I can help this gent.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/2/09 12:47pm
Msg #302588

I don't understand what they want.

I guess that you don't either.

Reply by PAW on 9/2/09 2:01pm
Msg #302601

I'm with you, Brenda. I don't know what they want either. n/m

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/2/09 12:51pm
Msg #302589

I think this statement is the actual request...but of course I can't do this.
I suppose I need some training on the Apostille procedure.

"As a former resident of Madera, now living in South Korea, I hope you can notarize a fingerprint response I received from the Calif. State Dept. of Justice"

By the by, I'm so glad to have this forum and get advice from the most knowledgeable notaries!! THANK YOU!

Reply by rengel/CA on 9/2/09 1:16pm
Msg #302592

The only way I know of that you can notarize a fingerprint response, or anything else for that matter, in the State of California is for him to travel to the State of California so he can appear in front of you.

I've gotten requests similar to this and unfortunately have to reply, "Sorry, no can do."

My .02

Reply by Juliet Cavanaugh on 9/2/09 2:18pm
Msg #302602

100% correct on "no can do." Our job is to identify the signer and have them personally appear in front of us while siging. Period - there is nothing else to think about - no matter how much of a smoke and mirror show you get from the signer.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/2/09 1:30pm
Msg #302595

It appears that the American Embassy in Seoul is better equipped to handle this.

This almost sounds like one of those, "I have tons of money to get out of the country, etc." emails. The misspellings and the instruction to "double check the country code, I think..." throw me off also.

A "no can do" response is in order, along with Am. Embassy suggestion. Your information would be captured for what purpose - I don't know. In really thinking this through, I think "delete" is better.

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/2/09 2:18pm
Msg #302603

I handled a notarization request for a guy in China who needed a California notarization. He was a Californian teaching in China and needed the background check from California to be notarized in California. The embassy would only accept this.

He had a friend in Sunnyvale, CA. I had him send the document that needed notarization to his friend. His friend came to me and we did a "Copy Certification By Document Custodian". He then sent this to Sacramento and obtained the Apostille. I followed this through from beginning to end and it finally got accomplished after many months. I received advice from the SOS and notaries in California who specialize in this type of work. I even called Washington, DC to gain information.

I was determined to see if I could do this legally. It passed.

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/2/09 3:01pm
Msg #302613

I'm certain this is just that type of situation. Did you 'suggest' the Copy Certification by Cocument Custodian? I'm not sure that he would know that this is what he needs.

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/2/09 3:55pm
Msg #302628

CH2inCA, I sent you a private message. n/m

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/2/09 2:28pm
Msg #302606

A friend of mine teaches English as as 2nd language in South Korea. He had to have a background check done for the school there. They need to to get any criminal checks done in Iowa and all court systems from his past. He needed a Apostille attached from the State of Iowa because that is where he lived before moving there. It is not uncommon. The other countries are now verifying who is working there and having background checks done. The state just required that the fees were charged to his credit card, so I needed the CC authorization sent to me before they would complete it.

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/2/09 3:01pm
Msg #302612

Also, in my case, I wasn't notarizing the fingerprint of my friend. Someone at the state ran the background check and sent it over for the Apostille, then sent it to me. I, in turn, sent it on to South Korea directly to the school district. Bill (my friend) was not allowed to ever touch the document before their school district received it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/2/09 4:26pm
Msg #302633

Sounds to me like JAM/CA is on the right track. Of course you can't notarize his signature, but he's not a notary and probably doesn't know how to word his request with proper notary jargon. People aren't going to determine their needs based on any given state's notary laws - especially in other countries.

My first reaction would probably have been to refer him to the SOS Apostille section, however, like I said, I think for him to find someone else locally to collect what he needs and notarize that signature makes more sense. Thanks, JAM/CA for your post. Just learned something new...

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/2/09 5:11pm
Msg #302638

The sad part is Janet, he had contacted many notaries in the Bay Area including those that spoke Chinese fluently. All of them brushed him aside and said they couldn't do it. Now, this man is a Professor and obviously could not make a quick trip back to California. He knew it would take 10 minutes if he was here in California.

I was determined to try to help him. I lost lots of money in hours trying to educate myself on this. What I gained was invaluable information and knowing I helped someone who desperately needed help. There are notaries who have found a niche in completing Apostilles for people and handling all mailing and correspondence. A gentleman who used to frequent this board is well versed in handling these special notarizations. His name is Joe Ewing.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/2/09 5:16pm
Msg #302640

Just learned something new...so did I. Thanks for

posting about this Jam/CA - most interesting once you figured this all out and shared with us.

Reply by CH2inCA on 9/2/09 5:28pm
Msg #302642

Re: Just learned something new...so did I. Thanks for

I agree, very very helpful!! I was initially very nervous about posting this; but so glad I did! Even if I don't hear back from this gent, I did learn some thing!

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/2/09 7:52pm
Msg #302651

Great thread...thanks JAM, et al for the "lesson". n/m

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/2/09 8:16pm
Msg #302659

Another thanks, would have not thought it was possible. n/m

Reply by Laura_V on 9/3/09 10:55am
Msg #302745

I deal with these things all the time

I'm helping a notary in the client's area of California take care of him.

I've been in touch with the client directly. Everything is normal and above board.

Reply by JAM/CA on 9/3/09 11:17am
Msg #302747

Absolutely, Laura gave me tips also. Thanks Laura n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.