Notary Rotary
Tony Negrete ripped me off
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by famena on 9/2/09 11:45pm
Msg #302703

Tony’s office called July 12 for a closing to be completed the following day in a town 30 mrt from my place.. As soon as I received docs I realized that it was a HELOC.. I asked BO if
property was his homestead and he said YES. I called and emailed Tony’s office to let them know that we needed to conduct the closing at an atty’s office or tc and that I had an atty that charge $50.00 sitting fee. I quoted my fee as $100 plus $25 travel fee plus $50 sitting fee ($175.00). I still have in my email system all the emails sent to them on this issue… 45 days later I received a check for $125.00 and I emailed Tony to let him know that the check was short by $50.00 and they replied, quote “We did not agree to a fee of $175.00 for this closing. Our confirmation says clearly that the fee will be $125.00; I can forward that copy to you if you like. There is no mention of an additional fee for the attorney office”.

I have worked for Negrete off and on for years and maybe that’s the reason I didn’t request an amendment to the “Confirmation” showing the additional $50.00. Also because if it’s a Heloc there is a sitting fee involved.

I am sure that Negrete knows that in Texas it’s mandatory to sign this type of loan at an atty’s office or tc when it’s homestead property. Also, he could check in his records the type of loan that I closed for him on July 12. Nevertheless, he didn’t agree to pay me the $50.00/sitting fee that I paid out of my pocket.

I know that Negrete has multiple “admirers” in this group.. and I have always wondered why.. if he reduced our fees not long ago (he’s still paying me $100 edocs).

I would rate this company as very poor and unprofessional.. would never do business with again.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/3/09 12:09am
Msg #302704

If you have copies of all the emails establishing the fee, why didn't you just forward the one to him where he agreed to the fee?

Also, it doesn't make sense to say he reduced his fees and is still paying you $100 for edocs, when you received $125 for this signing. That's a perfectly fair fee for a HELOC (excluding the sitting fee which is a completely different issue).

Ultimately you can break it down however you want, but the only fee that matters is the grand total. And that should be the one reflected on the confirmation. IF its not, it's on you to get it corrected before you do the signing, it's not on them to remember it several weeks later when they're issuing checks.

But I do agree with you that Tony should be well aware of the additional charge to do HELOCs in Texas. If I know it, he damn well better know it too!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/3/09 12:54am
Msg #302705

Have you talked to him?

If I were you, my next step wouldn't be to post on here complaining about a client that I've previously had a good relationship with, but would I follow-up with a phone call to discuss it civilly. Mistakes happen. I've always found Tony to be fair, so I'd discuss it with him directly, explain the situation and see if you can come to an agreement.

I always prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and a chance to do the right thing. Sometimes that means more than one contact. If you still don't get the response you want, then further action is warranted. In fact, that reminds me of another call I need to make to follow up on a situation I had with another company that shorted me a while back. I posted about it without mentioning their name, but it hasn't been resolved yet, as far as I'm concerned. I'll give them one more chance before I do a follow-up post with the company name...

Good luck!

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/3/09 5:18am
Msg #302709

Tony's company should re-think this.

I don't think that his SS is thinking this through.

Next time he wants a $175 Heloc he won't be able to get it through you. It's harder and harder to get those signing venues in many areas of Texas even for a sitting fee.

Here in Mytown, Texas TCs and lawyers won't allow this for less than a $150 to $350 "sitting" fee. They want to conduct the signing. Now, Negrete's will have to find someone else to do them for him. Maybe it will take him $350 next time.

Signing services and TCs don't back up over $300 or more because they know this is the case in this area. The last ones I did I charged $150 for me and $150 for the office I had to use. Finally, it became so much trouble due to scheduling him to let me use his office (late docs) that I turned the signings over to that lawyer friend. I don't know what he charges now but it won't be as cheap as $175.

Even if they truly believe they did not bargain for $175 they should realize how hard this type of set up is to come by in Texas for $175 in many areas.

Reply by BobbiCT on 9/3/09 7:18am
Msg #302711

Excellent point, Brenda ...

Any attorney that lets you "sit" in a conference room to conduct a HELOC closing has to respect and admire you PLUS trust your judgment.

What signing service schedulers don't realize: If that HELOC goes south, some ambitious homeowner's attorney may also go after the law firm that allowed you to conduct the closing in the firm's conference room. The sitting fee isn't "rent," it's a drop in the insurance bucket in the event they need to defend themselves in a suit (i.e., no legal representation) that the space was "rented" and this was a no-law-firm involvement transaction. Also, it's a little income to cover the lost business because the lender/title company did NOT give this work to an attorney.

Reply by Mae/TX on 9/3/09 8:56am
Msg #302719

Re: Tony's company should re-think this.

I agree with you, Brenda. I have spoken with title companies in Fort Bend and Harris counties and they want $250 min sitting fee.

Reply by Frank/NC on 9/3/09 9:19am
Msg #302723

Although you e-mailed the company, my feeling is that you jumped to a conclusion too quickly if you haven't personally discussed the matter with Tony Negrete.

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/3/09 9:21am
Msg #302724

I agree. Tony has always been very fair with me and extremely easy to work with.

Reply by 101livescan on 9/3/09 9:43am
Msg #302728

Tony's always been fair with me...I would take it to hiim 1:1, he's a reasonable man and withstood some peaks and valleys in this business and succeeded in maintaining a good reputation.

Reply by A S Johnson on 9/3/09 10:06am
Msg #302729

In my area of N central Tx, office fees run now $50+ with many areas where the att't/TC offices have policies not allow notaties to do real estate papers in thier office. They suggest the title call them directly, there fees are $275+. When they will let you use thier office they must know you.
I have been told there is a push on to make Texas an Att'y Only state for real estate siging because there are docs that need to recorded. Texas currently does not allow notaries to have anything to do with recordable items (such as car titles, birth and dealth cert).
Brenda more than likle know more about this as she works for an Att'y.
I like Tony and I have worked a little for him nd he has meet my fee but I will not signed a contract with a non-compete clause which is a requirement of his.

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 9/3/09 11:40am
Msg #302751

The last 2 I did for Tony were a no sign(loan terms were not what the borrowers were told). Tony's policy? FULL FEE. I think you should talk to him, and again if it's not in the CL how he will remember the whole details of every single signing they process. He does hundreds of signings per month.

Reply by Jones - Chelley on 9/3/09 11:50am
Msg #302752

Hhhmmm

Well, if indeed, you made Tony aware of the increase in fees before the closing was conducted, you should have a revised confirmation...correct? This being said...even after the fact, sometimes field notaries occur increases that are beyond their control...parking, tolls, etc.. My opinion is, if it is an unexpected fee for a service that was not included in the agreement...within reason, notaries should be compensated. My opinion is provide proof in writing of the extra charge, an updated invoice and then scan the proof in, email it to Tony and then follow up with a phone call. Tony really is a great guy...I just really have a hard time believing he would not honor your request. If this is the case, I am extremely disappointed for you. I am still shaking my head...I just really can't see Tony doing this...there has to be some lines that got crossed...he really is an honest man.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/3/09 12:18pm
Msg #302762

Strong words to say Tony ripped you off.

While sitting fees are not an issue here in California, in the area that I service sometimes has extra expenses, such as areas that only 4 wheel drive can get to in the winter and distance from my home to a location in the neighboring zip code can be 200 miles away.

Negrete has never turned down my request for extra fees as the result of extra travel or conditions. But I quote that in advance and get the confirmation in advance before the job, just like I do with anyone.

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't more to the story than what is posted here. Perhaps there is a problem with communication. If you actually would have called him (landline) before you posted here, I bet you could have worked out the $50.

I am not a blind "admirer", I am just posting based on past experience.

Reply by Jim/AL on 9/3/09 12:20pm
Msg #302763

Re: Strong words to say Tony ripped you off.

Agree 110%. Wish I was still getting Tony's business, been a long time since I did a closing for them. He/they are a great company IMO.

Reply by Jones - Chelley on 9/3/09 12:27pm
Msg #302765

Re: Strong words to say Tony ripped you off.

When I first spoke with Tony he and I compared notaries we had in different areas. He had all the same ones and then some. I then called my notaries and got the scoop on Tony...the reaction was always the same...positive! I use Tony for my hard to schedule areas...and because I am so strict on how my notaries are treated...I keep a watchful eye on things. I am telling you...without fail...every time, he has never let me down...not even slightly. Call him...talk to him.

Reply by John/CT on 9/3/09 1:17pm
Msg #302775

Where's Tony? Although he's always been good for me ...

I think it might be useful if he speaks up now. In any case, I'll gladly continue to accept work from him.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/3/09 1:47pm
Msg #302788

I disagree.

I don't think there's anything that Tony needs to add to this, nor do I think he needs to defend himself. (Enough of us have done a good enough job.) I think the original poster just needs to talk to him directly and that they should resolve this between them. My guess is that the email was answered by someone else in Tony's office who may not have had all the facts. I'll bet this will be resolved fairly simply and agree that the poster jumped the gun with his claim.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/3/09 2:09pm
Msg #302795

Re: I disagree.

**My guess is that the email was answered by someone else in Tony's office who may not have had all the facts. **

My thoughts, exactly.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/3/09 2:09pm
Msg #302796

Re: I disagree.

**My guess is that the email was answered by someone else in Tony's office who may not have had all the facts. **

My thoughts, exactly.

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/3/09 1:38pm
Msg #302785

<<<As soon as I received docs I realized that it was a HELOC.. I asked BO if
property was his homestead and he said YES. I called and emailed Tony’s office to let them know that we needed to conduct the closing at an atty’s office or tc and that I had an atty that charge $50.00 sitting fee.>>>

Going forward, I suggest that you respond to an email confirmation with a fee schedule that clearly states (in bold letters) that there will be an additional charge of $XX dollars if the signing is a HELOC (because of your state requirement) and that ***no contract is created between the SS and you until the SS accepts your fee schedule***. That way, there is written clarity on both sides - no one is assuming what the other should know or should be aware of and it is clear what the total charges are due for that type of loan signing.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 9/3/09 5:43pm
Msg #302826

It has been my experience that Tony can be difficult to deal

with.
I once posted something erroneously on this site. He accused me of trying to plug my own SS. He said he would never send me another job. I stated then as I do now, that I never owned a signing service, nor do I plan to. He was actually quite nasty about it. That was a side of Tony I had never seen before.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/3/09 8:38pm
Msg #302839

Re: Tony is not..

So Famena,

Do you think you jumped the gun on publicly calling a good person/company a rip off? Are you trying to get this resolved or hoping this post will get results that you think is right? To post this can be damaging to you and I hope you have the paperwork to back up your claims.

As far as Tony responding on this forum..Why should he? This is a business matter that should be discussed with the notary not a forum. Besides if Tony speaks up he gets slammed!

I enjoy working with Tony and the girls! Negretes is one of the good companies!!

Reply by Carol Graff on 9/3/09 10:47pm
Msg #302843

who the heck is Tony Negrete???

Reply by Dave_CA on 9/4/09 1:14pm
Msg #302899

One of the REALLY GOOD signing services.
I'v worked with him for 4 years and I'm happy to do so anytime.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.