Notary Rotary
disolution of marriage
Notary Discussion History

disolution of marriage
Go Back to September, 2009 Index

Posted by Raquel Towarnicki on 9/11/09 3:25pm
Msg #303575

disolution of marriage

Has anyone have done notarization in a disolution of marriage?... is there any specific steps to follow or is just regular notarization of each page...

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/11/09 3:38pm
Msg #303579

If someone brought that doc to me, I would simply look for the pre-printed notarial certificate and proceed with notarizing their signatures after they signed it (of course I would have already identified them at this point). If no notary cert, I would ask them if they want an ack or jurat and stamp the wording on there for the certificate they chose.

Reply by Raquel Towarnicki on 9/11/09 3:48pm
Msg #303582

Gentlemen stated there were about 10 pages that needed notarization, that is what got me wandering.....

Reply by MW/VA on 9/11/09 3:49pm
Msg #303583

Probably 10 pages to the document, initials on each page, etc.

Reply by Raquel Towarnicki on 9/11/09 4:02pm
Msg #303585

Will ask if they want Jurat or ackn (also if they have an original). see ID, and initial each page, other than that I guess it will be just a regular notary job... If I missed something pls. remind me....
Thank you

Reply by MW/VA on 9/11/09 4:17pm
Msg #303588

I wouldn't worry too much, Raquel. The doc was most likely prepared by an attorney, and should have everything, including the notarial certificate on it.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/11/09 4:17pm
Msg #303589

I would only have the signers initial each page if there are initial lines at the bottom of each page, which indicate that the document preparer wants that. No initial lines, I would not request that the signers initial - if they take it upon themselves to do it, that's their prerogative.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/11/09 4:00pm
Msg #303584

It's probably what Marilynn said - 10 pages with or w/o initials and a notarization on the signature page. But I would simply thumb though the pages and look for signature lines with an accompanying notarial certificate and proceed accordingly.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 9/11/09 4:03pm
Msg #303586

I had a guy call me last week and ask if I would meet him at a public place to have a separation agreement notarized in triplicate. I asked if there was notarial wording on the document already. He said he didn't know, but "she" wanted every page notarized (36 pages). Asked which type of notarization; he didn't know, but he would let "her" choose. I finally asked who "she" was - it was his wife he was separating from. He seemed like a very nice sounding guy over the phone, so I took 36 copies of a jurat and 36 copies of an ack so she could choose. We only did duplicate 24 pages, but it seemed like it took forever. She arrived with stitches and bruises over one eye and bawled through the entire process. I had to give her my pack of kleenex tissues from my purse. I felt so bad. I think it was the saddest thing I have ever had to be a notarial part to.

Tonya

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/09 4:59pm
Msg #303597

Just treat it like any other notarization. Get ID, check for notary certificate (if none let the signer make the choice), then notarize the signature according to state lawas.
Content of document is none of our business.

Reply by Raquel Towarnicki on 9/11/09 5:33pm
Msg #303606

Yep, content of Doc. is not my concern.....you are right.

Reply by PAW on 9/12/09 8:04am
Msg #303630

Every DIY and attorney prepared document that I've seen (and those approved by the Florida Supreme Court pursuant to section 12.901(b)(3)) have at least one jurat, and most often two jurats, for the husband and wife to be placed under oath swearing and attesting to the contents of the document. However, in Florida, anyone, even Staples, can prepare a Dissolution of Marriage document for presentment to the court. Of course, all the steps in a 'simple' divorce must be followed to the letter of the law, and that responsibility resides with the petitioners.

From the notary's point of view, it's the same as any other document presented to notary for signature notarization. The notary is not responsible for the content, except for ensuring that any blank space that is required to be filled in is, and that there are no statements in the document which the notary knows to be false or illegal. Notarize, don't analyze.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.