Notary Rotary
So I posted an ad on Craigslist....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2010 Index

Posted by Donna McDaniel on 9/14/10 5:36pm
Msg #352687

advertising my notary services and I've only gotten solicitations from others who want to take MY money, from handy men to offers of help to get rich quick. There was one notary on there advertising that she could notarize your documents or create them for you if needed, what a joke!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/14/10 5:38pm
Msg #352688

Yeah..I gave Craigslist a shot too...never got anything

from there - most general notary work found me on google/saw my website.

Reply by PAW on 9/14/10 5:40pm
Msg #352690

Re: Yeah..I gave Craigslist a shot too... works for me

I get a few calls or inquiries a month from advertising on Craig'sList. Never have I received any junk calls or solicitations.

You can view my ad at http://ocala.craigslist.org/lgs/1890024760.html

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/14/10 5:43pm
Msg #352691

Now I know why I didn't get any calls....showoff..:) n/m

Reply by Riley/FL on 9/14/10 5:48pm
Msg #352692

Here's my ad, tell me please..

What it is that is making ME a target for these people.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/lgs/1949700737.html

Mind you, these are not professionals I'm talking about, their spammers and scammers, I can tell by the way the emails are written. I also posted under real eatate services.

Reply by Riley/FL on 9/14/10 5:50pm
Msg #352693

Also, if you go back to Legal Services you can see n/m

Reply by Riley/FL on 9/14/10 5:51pm
Msg #352694

Oh, darn

Hit enter...the other ad I mentioned.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/14/10 8:24pm
Msg #352702

~Love~ the list, Riley. Well done. n/m

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 9/14/10 8:32pm
Msg #352703

Re: Here's my ad, tell me please..

Hi --- I run an ad in the local Craigslist site :

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/lgs/1953124736.html

& do get some of the spammers & scammers emailing me from the Craigslist, but that action has subsided a whole lot after I stopped posting my email address. I have only the anonymized email address that Craigslist generates, up at the top of the ad where it says 'reply to' & a doctored email address (without the '@" ) down towards the middle. ( & I noticed that PAW's ad omits an email address as well.)

I read somewhere that there are programs& people that 'harvest' email addresses from Craigslist just for the purpose of spamming & scamming. & some of these emails I have received are pretty clever in their efforts to extract your password. So, you might want to just have Craigslist anonymize your email address & leave it at that & see if that helps. But, you will always get some bogus emails from people who use the site for fraud. Or, just leave the email address out & have customers go to a web site or phone.

And, finally, I don't get hardly any business from the ad but every once in awhile I do --- there are people who go to Craigslist first & think it is just the greatest and when they phone you, that free ad is sure worth it!

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 9/14/10 8:57pm
Msg #352706

Hi Ed
How about adding a link to the network in your ad? I think that just being on Craigslist gives better visibility overall.

Reply by Notarylady on 9/14/10 11:04pm
Msg #352728

My husband listed his 1984 Honda goldwing with Voyager kit and with in a few minutes we got six people all sayin they wanted to buy it. All were scams. One went as far as to say he bought it thru Pay Pal for almost $1150. More than we requested. They all sounded like some one that was uneduated and the one wanted us to come up with money for shipping. I'm convinced it would not of mattered what you listed service or product you would get the same results. They are out there. We've given up on craigs list and ebay. Had the experience of fruad at both ends.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/15/10 6:17am
Msg #352734

I agree - I'm not a Craig's List fan either. We listed a 1994 Geo Prizm and specified that it was not operational due to needing a new clutch and half shafts, yet we got about five calls from people who could barely speak English who said they wanted to buy the car. They would make an appointment to see it but then none of them ever showed up. Probably a good thing, though! We ended up selling it to someone who saw the car on the street with a for sale sign in it.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/14/10 7:42pm
Msg #352700

Now that's an ad!!! :) n/m

Reply by Cari on 9/15/10 6:22am
Msg #352736

PAW LOVE YOUR AD! n/m

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 9/14/10 6:38pm
Msg #352695

Donna, in light of the most recent controversy about Craigslist ads, you might want to put a more complete heading on your post.

On the other hand, my guess is you're gonna be getting a large percentage of the male participants on Discuss Work who want to see what it is you're advertising on Craigslist. I certainly did.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 9/14/10 6:51pm
Msg #352696

I ran out of room in the subject line so I continued on wit

h my post in the message line, although that thought never occured to me, Hugh, I have read alot of your posts, I should have known better! LOL! Uhh well... maybe I'll get some referrals.
FOR NOTARY WORK Wink

Reply by JimAZ on 9/14/10 9:18pm
Msg #352710

Re: I ran out of room in the subject line so I continued on wit

Craigslist is a free to you e-mail collection site. How do you think he is making money. The owner collects your e-mail address and sells it. That's why you get so much junk mail. Simple as that.

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/14/10 9:45pm
Msg #352714

How to end Craiglist "junk" responses

<<<So I posted an ad on Craigslist....advertising my notary services and I've only gotten solicitations from others who want to take MY money, from handy men to offers of help to get rich quick.>>>

That happened to me too then I figured a way I stop the "junk" responses. I only list my phone number - I "hide" my email address and do not use their "anonymize" email address.

At the end of my ad is a disclaimer: "Only legitimate Notary service request calls will be considered. ALL other calls will immediately end."

That did the trick....stopped the junk responses cold!

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/14/10 9:47pm
Msg #352716

How to end Craiglist "junk" responses

<<<So I posted an ad on Craigslist....advertising my notary services and I've only gotten solicitations from others who want to take MY money, from handy men to offers of help to get rich quick.>>>

That happened to me too then I figured a way I stop the "junk" responses. I only list my phone number - I "hide" my email address and do not use their "anonymize" email address.

At the end of my ad is a disclaimer: "Only legitimate Notary service request calls will be considered. ALL other calls will immediately end."

That did the trick....stopped the junk responses cold!

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 9/15/10 6:17am
Msg #352733

Thanks to all for your responses.

I will make some adjustments to my ad. I have been doing a lot of marketing lately and I figure if I only get one response a month from every avenue I use it's worth it.

Reply by Cari on 9/15/10 6:19am
Msg #352735

...just remember to use a 'dummy' email address. Do not use your normal address. You want to avoid getting hit with spam emails from the "Dear Beloved" in UK to "You just won an African Lottery" solicitor from India!

Craiglist is an excellent tool for free advertising if you use it wisely, consistently and weekly.

PM more for more info if you like....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.