Notary Rotary
9 AM signing, wife not up yet, when she does come down
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 12/13/12 11:30pm
Msg #446490

she grabs her "smokes" and start to head out the door (I'm sitting at the table waiting), I ask her to do the signing then have her smoke so I can be on my way. She sits but now is in a hurry to get the signing over with. Fine by me. Husband not allowed to read anything. We signed so fast I was still out of there in 45 minutes including the waiting. She fired up before I could pack up.

Reply by dgd/CA on 12/13/12 11:49pm
Msg #446492

Too funny... PTL for smokers... ROTFL... n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 12/14/12 3:25am
Msg #446502

Gosh I wish I could grow some of your boldness! To "ask her to do the signing then have her smoke" would not be in my nature. Don't get me wrong, I understand why things like that have to be said - I just feel like I am a guest in their house and my rights are limited. I feel uncomfortable booking signings too close together because I allow the BO to take their time reading, when they choose to, and don't want the pressure of having to watch the clock. Like all of you reading this, I have BO's that are slow, read, and question while others are like what you posted, "We signed so fast . . .".

I did a signing the other day where the two gals signed quickly so one of them would have time to "eat lunch before heading back to work." I simply added that they could go over the docs they signed in the RTC period. The answer was, "Probably not." :O) Allrighty then!!!

I do admire your forthrightness.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 12/14/12 6:56am
Msg #446504

Karla, we have to look out for ourselves.

I was at a signing once. The young man asked if I minded if he smoked. I said yes, i have asthma. He proceeded to light up anyway. His mother, hit him upside the head and said didn't you hear what she said???!!! Thankfully, those homes are few and far between.

Reply by Karla/OR on 12/14/12 11:57am
Msg #446529

Boy and do we -

It goes to the if we don't look out for ourselves, who will?

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/14/12 6:58pm
Msg #446573

<<<(I'm sitting at the table waiting), I ask her to do the signing then have her smoke so I can be on my way.>>>

I commend you for taking charge....and seeing that you are there on *business* and not a guest visiting for coffee and chitchat. Good for you....wish more NSAs handled themselves in that professional manner.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/14/12 10:07pm
Msg #446596

Good point, LKT. The earlier post: <<I just feel like I am a guest in their house.>> is asking for trouble. The fact that they chose their home as the signing location has nothing to do with anything. We could just as easily be at a Starbucks or a TC. We are not "guests"; we're there to conduct business. Guests help with the dinner dishes, stay overnight (I hope you're not staying ovenight!) and make their beds, send thank you notes after the visit, use guest towels in the bathroom, clean up after themselves, offer to bring the hors douvres or a bottle of wine, reciprocate down the road, etc.

Yes, we are in their home and need to be polite and respectful (even with their damn dogs jumping all over us), wipe our feet before entering, don't scratch their table with binder clips etc., but they need to be just as polite and respectful of us for the short time we are there conducting business. If a borrower feels they can do whatever they want cos it's "my house" and this is seriously impeding the loan signing then suggest relocating to another site where they can behave long enough to get the loan signed. Besides out of control pets, which we all tolerate more or less, I've put up with flossing as bits BBQ dinner are flying across the table, months old mustard blobs and gawd knows what else gooing up the docs, borrowers cooking dinner, texting buddies, watching the basketball game, reading a recipe to a friend over the phone, etc. but smoking? No way!

Reply by Karla/OR on 12/15/12 2:07am
Msg #446606

I definitely agree with many of your points ("we're here to conduct business - we are in their home and need to be polite and respectful"). For instance, if I was asthmatic and the BO still insisted on smoking, I would definitely let them know that either they stop or I leave - it's a health issue. I have been in many a home where the BO attends to this or that and slows the signing to a point. I am not going to scold them like bad children in their own home - I'm just not. Yes, I would let them know if I had a back to back signing and needed to get the show on the road.

In my own home it is different - I rule what goes on - if someone wants to make my monthly mortgage payment then they can darn well say and do as they please when they are here. If I had to attend to a crying baby or an urgent call, etc., so be it. Working with the public requires a lot of patience especially when dealing with those that have not been fortunate enough to have been trained to have manners or common sense. I don't feel it is my job to be their educator of such. Frustrating as it may be.

JMO

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/15/12 1:17pm
Msg #446640

Agree, Karla. I wouldn't allow anybody to tell me what to do in my own home (acutally, I do. My hubby, my kids, my dog always tell me what to do!). But on the flip side, I hope I would never tell anyone else what to do in their own home, esp. borrowers. But I will tell me, myself and I what I will and will not do and will or will not allow to be done to me in somebody's house. I'm in control of my behavior, not theirs.

I'm pretty timid with borrowers, and like most notaries, put up with ALOT. If borrowers motion to the coffee table with dim lighting as the place to sign, I gently suggest that a table will be better. If the signing table has months of gunk, I don't say clean it off. If the house reeks I try to hold by breath. Etc. Oh, and I also say you will not be using your favorite black ink pen. If you have a favorite blue pen, go for it. Otherwise, use the ones I just put out on the table. That's about as far as I go. I certainly have never scolded a borrower or their bratty kids, tho have been tempted.

But I do not go in with the "guest" mentality. I'm a visitor on business and the sooner we get this done the better for everybody. We can't control the borrower - at least I don't have that skill - we can only control ourselves and try to control the signing without ticking anybody off.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.