Notary Rotary
AKA
Notary Discussion History

AKA
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by JustANotary on 12/11/12 11:21am
Msg #446163

AKA

I have loan docs that list the borrower's name, and show an aka as another name. She has ID for the name, but not the AKA. The title company says just put her name in the notary field and ignore the AKA. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Reply by BobtheElder on 12/11/12 11:29am
Msg #446169

Nope... should be a name affadavit that has her name and all AKA's in the pkg somewhere, and that should cover it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/11/12 11:31am
Msg #446170

Nope..no problem - the only one you CAN ID is the person

in front of you with ID. They may want her to sign both names - that's lender's/title's call. Thankfully Florida addresses this issue clearly.

As an aside, Name Affidavit doesn't cover anything from a notary standpoint.

JMO

Reply by BobtheElder on 12/11/12 11:41am
Msg #446175

Re: Nope..no problem - the only one you CAN ID is the person

Notary stuff wasn't my concern, as you say, only the name in the notary block counts for us, but from title's standpoint the aff should cover it for them.

Reply by pat/WA on 12/11/12 4:34pm
Msg #446215

title wants the f/k/a included in the notary acknowledment

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/11/12 4:56pm
Msg #446219

Not according to OP - according to OP, title said just

put "name" in cert...which IMO is correct unless you're lucky enough to be in Florida where this is covered... Smile

Reply by Matt_VA on 12/11/12 6:17pm
Msg #446227

Linda is right about the name aff here. Sometimes when the name is not matching the ID, title will say the name aff will cover that for the notary. Never. The name Aff is not ID. I'm pretty sure I was just recently dropped from a TC for refusing to sign off on a misspelled name when the name aff showed AKA as the ID name. The only solution I know of is to change to the correct name in the notary wording. In this case it was Sat. and I could not get hold of TC. Whatever. Not worth your commission or worse. Sorry, a little off subject.

Reply by rolomia on 12/11/12 10:25pm
Msg #446254

Matt_VA,

If I was dropped from a TC/SS registry for not accepting an AFF as ID, I'd post a rating here on Signing Central and notify my state's SOS about the situation so that they can investigate. In fact, I would feel it to be my duty to help protect BO's from unscrupulous TC's/SS's who have no problem disobeying state law. JMHO

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 12/12/12 9:23am
Msg #446294

NO, that is what you are suppose to do. More than likely, the borrower will not have an ID in the AKA. I do this all the time. Usually the AKA is what was listed on title at some point so this is their way around it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.