Notary Rotary
Cancellation question
Notary Discussion History

Cancellation question
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Suzibelle01 on 12/11/12 9:22am
Msg #446126

Cancellation question

Scheduled a signing for company A about 45 minutes from home. Then company B calls and asked it I could do a closing for them, same day and around the same time as Company A signing and about 1/2 hour away from signing with Company A. I told Company B that I could do the signing if I had the docs by 4PM because I could not return to print the docs after the signing with Company A. To far to travel and to late in the evening if I were to do this. Day of singing I did not receive the docs from Company B (not their fault, they were in contact with the title insurance company and just could get the docs in time. I waited as long as I could to get the docs and finally had to tell Company B that I couldn't wait any longer. My question is - "who is responisble for telling the borrower that the notary cannot complete the closing"?

Reply by Philip Johnson on 12/11/12 9:27am
Msg #446127

Courtesy would be, you calling and telling them.

That way they are not hanging around waiting on you.

Reply by Suzibelle01 on 12/11/12 9:32am
Msg #446130

Re: Courtesy would be, you calling and telling them.

I did call them about 1/2 hour before my arrival time in hopes that some other notary had been scheduled but they hadn't heard from anyone at that time.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/11/12 9:29am
Msg #446128

If you are cancelling with your hiring party, they will be looking to replace you very quickly. I would let them make the arrangements.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/11/12 9:49am
Msg #446137

Whether I have to opt out of a signing, or whether the hiring party cancels on me, out of common courtesy I always call the borrowers to let them know what is happening. About 20 percent of the time, no one has contacted them.

Reply by Suzibelle01 on 12/11/12 10:17am
Msg #446144

Yes, I called the borrower about 30 minutes before I was scheduled to arrive. You are correct - no one called them. I explained what transpired. The borrower asked if I would call the Notary Agency or their Lender to she what was going on. I told him he should call his lender. I don't feel comfortable and don't feel it is my job trying to track everyone down getting into the middle of this situation.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 12/11/12 4:56pm
Msg #446218

Had one a few weeks ago with similar scenario. I had to turn back as docs were not ready on time. I asked SS about notifying borrowers. She said, "please don't call OUR borrowers; we'll take care of it." She was pleasant enough. However, I couldn't help but note the emphasis on the possessive.

You were right, Suzi. Not your job to track down everyone. That situation is strictly between the borrowers and their lender.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 12/12/12 1:26pm
Msg #446321

Hugh, I find it happens 99.9% of the time that no one calls n/m

Reply by droman_IL on 12/11/12 10:37am
Msg #446148

With the way cancellations have been lately, I've made it a habit not to confirm the appointment with the borrower until I receive documents. That way, there is no question that the loan is happening and I have the documents in hand. If I have not made any contact with the borrower, I do not call them if the closing cancels. Last thing I want is to receive the brunt of their frustration that the loan is not going to close as scheduled. I also don't want to add myself to the list of yet another person who isn't going to help them get their deal done. There are times that the borrower reaches out to me before I receive docs, and in those cases, I do provide a courtesy call to let them know I don't have their documents, I won't be closing their loan, and they need to contact their lender to find out what is going on.

Reply by Roadie_MD on 12/11/12 11:02am
Msg #446154

there is something to be said for waiting until you have docs to confirm, although I don't do it that way. I think it's generally better to confirm early for many reasons. I always inquire as to the flexibility of their time --"can you do it any earlier or later?" That way I can plan for late docs (the exception, not the rule). I have gotten chewed out by borrowers because I had to cancel due to not having docs. It's human nature--they want to yell at somebody. They will get over it and so will I.

Reply by BobtheElder on 12/11/12 11:27am
Msg #446168

Same here except for a very few companies that never seem to miss the doc deadline...
those I confirm immediately, others, when I press print, I pick up the phone.

Reply by Yowheelz on 12/12/12 10:10am
Msg #446299

I always call the borrower

I have had too many times when when a loan has been cancelled or postponed and the borrowers were never notified. Now I always call.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 12/12/12 1:25pm
Msg #446320

Cancellation for late docs, I always notify the borrowers n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.