Notary Rotary
Cancellations at table and ServiceLink packages
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by jojo_MN on 12/18/12 8:18am
Msg #446897

Has anyone noticed a trend in their packages running around 198 pages recently (not including the borrower's copies)? Five times in the last week I have run into this problem. The first three from them directly, now two signing services for them. I've added $50 for each one, but am tired of this last minute plea for extra money.

Also, I am starting feeling like a repeat of a few years ago. Had three cancel at the table in the last week due to L.O./lender error.

Yesterday I drove 1 1/2 hours away for two each because the companies couldn't find anyone closer. The first one cancelled at the table because the L/O told the borrower that his wife didn't need to be present because she wasn't on the loan (required on WI property)., second one cancelled because the interest rate was wrong and the lo has been sending her different TILs every week for the last two months and none of them was the one on the docs. They now have no trust with this lender and now wants to switch companies. (On a side note, it was a very good loan and no closing costs to them. Closing costs were thru a $3600 Origination credit and they were getting $500 back). My last closing yesterday was cancelled because "The notary (me) changed the time from 6:00 to 9:00". That never happened, as I had a closing 1 1/2 hours away from that closing at 8:30 (the second one that cancelled at table). My thoughts is the documents weren't ready and they needed a scapegoat. I sent out an email to all involved stating that I at no point changed the meeting time with the borrower and didn't appreciate them blaming it on the notary.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 12/18/12 8:29am
Msg #446898

Good Morning JoJo. I am sorry this has been happenning to you. It seems like the notary is always the first one to be thrown under the bus for everyone else's mistakes.

I wanted to comment on the fact that loans are blowing up at the table due to lender and title company errors. When that happens to me, and it has on occassion, I very politely and professionaly explain to my title companies/signing companies that I did print out all the docs, I went to the closing, I sat at the table with the borrowers, and I did everything I was hired to do. I expect to be paid in full for the signing appointment. Do you know I have always been paid with no questions asked.

Good luck JoJo.

Reply by jojo_MN on 12/18/12 9:19am
Msg #446907

I do the same as you Pegi. I get paid most of the time. Every once in a while I don't. It was just so nice not having all the cancellations at table the last couple years. Most have been cancelled before leaving office up lately up until this past week.

Reply by ToniK on 12/18/12 8:33am
Msg #446899

Well it depends on the lender, not servicelink fault docs are huge. The ones I get that are 160+ are citibank docs and they include a borrower set in the package, and the signatures are only about 30-40 pages the rest are just instructions and information about the loan and program (HARP loans).

Also not servicelink fault about LO non truthful disclosure...SL is only the Title company. But as for blaming you for changing time well thats a different story.

Reply by janCA on 12/18/12 9:21am
Msg #446910

I don't know where the LO's are coming from but there seems to be a lot of screw-ups lately.

Borrower was not told he was to bring almost $3,000 to the table. It had been a confirmed appt. for 3 days. I told SL I needed docs early because it was a full day. Signing was set for 7:00 about a half hour away, which I usually don't do, but SL was paying very well. They accommodated and I get the docs in plenty of time. I start printing the package and noticed there were funds due. I call borrower, asked if he knew he was to bring this amount to table. Needless to say, no, he did not. I told him to call LO and I would contact title. I stopped printing, only one set printed, which I will bill SL. borrower cancelled.

Reply by jojo_MN on 12/18/12 9:25am
Msg #446912

I can't count the number times I've gone lately to have borrowers finding out from me they owe money. Not right.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/18/12 9:13am
Msg #446906

***My last closing yesterday was cancelled because "The notary (me) changed the time from 6:00 to 9:00". That never happened***

Implicit in every contract between an NSA and a TC/SS is the requirement that the notary may be blamed for anything that goes wrong with a loan. If the loan officer had a big night out on the town, and barfed on the docs before they went out, thus delaying the process, the notary was to blame. If the TC escrow officer originally printed the docs on promotional postcards, thus delaying the process, the notary was to blame. If the SS scheduling manager came home to find her husband in bed with a naked pole dancer, and she had a nosebleed all over the docs due to the fight with the aforesaid dance, the notary is to blame. That is why you get paid those handsome $75 fees.

What are you complaining about?

Reply by jojo_MN on 12/18/12 9:20am
Msg #446909

Lol. Thanks for the laugh. n/m

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/18/12 10:50am
Msg #446920

I love reading your responses!!!!

Reply by bagger on 12/18/12 11:01am
Msg #446922

"Implicit in every contract between an NSA and a TC/SS is the requirement that the notary may be blamed for anything that goes wrong with a loan."

My idiot LO story.
So I get the docs late of course, print and drive.
Wife will not sigh - They spelled her name "Page" on every document.
Her name is "Paige."

Not only will she not sign, I have to listen to her rant that they have been told about this spelling for weeks now.

Ok, call the title company, tell them it's a no go.

On the drive home LO, calls and chews out my butt with
are you sitting down?

"don't you people ever check these documents before you get to the table?"

I laughed and hung up.

Reply by jojo_MN on 12/18/12 9:23am
Msg #446911

The one this morning does, in fact, have the borrowers copy. It is a Citibank loan. The previous ones did not. I'm not blaming ServiceLink for the size of the packages; however, their title docs and information pages are twice the amount as other Title companies.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 12/18/12 10:03am
Msg #446915

I now ask in my follow-up call prior to printing if the LO or title officer has reviewed figures with them. Getting alot of "no". I quickly review the figures, and oftentimes there is a glitch in the figures and then need to speak with the LO. Once straigtened out, I will print and go.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/18/12 10:17am
Msg #446916

I am finding that even when people are sent the HUD or even the entire doc package prior to closing (Quciken) THE BORROWERS ARE NOT LOOKING AT IT! Ugh!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/18/12 11:54am
Msg #446928

So true, Copperhead. They act shocked when they see the HUD and I know for a fact they've had the HUD/setlement statement plus a complete copy of the loan pkg for days. When I ask them what the deal is (in the most professional way possible, or course) they mumble something like they didn't have time to look at it, or it's at the office or they didn't print out the e-mail, etc. etc.

Reply by Ali/IL on 12/18/12 3:19pm
Msg #446960

The ones I get that large are for Citi and, they include the borrowers copies at the end. There were some in the beginning that came all mixed up with the originals and borrowers copies. I complained was told that they don't have time to divide the package. I said well , I don't have time either this is confusing.

Reply by Eve/VA on 12/20/12 9:25am
Msg #447200

BOs not reviewing packages ...

Inwardly I go ugh everytime a BO says I got the package but haven't looked it over. Really? Gonna be a long signing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.