Notary Rotary
Charter Internet Modem replacement
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 12/6/12 9:28pm
Msg #445761

I got a post card from Charter Communications that my Internet moden needs to be replaced.
They will send me one "free of charge" for me to install.

Is this something I can do on my own and where would it be located?

There is, of course, a phone number where I can call to have it installed professionally by Charter and no price is mentioned. I would guess $$-$$$.

Anyone ever do this type of installation?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 12/6/12 10:57pm
Msg #445766

I don't know about Charter, but replacing a Comcast modem consists of plugging it in, and taking the ethernet cables from the old modem and attaching them to the new modem.
So easy even I can do it myself.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 12/6/12 11:04pm
Msg #445768

Thanks

I am sure youngest son will be able to do this.

I am a really good athlete, but watching me do something mechanically is enough to grab it out of my hands, and many people have done this over the years!! LOL

Thanks again

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/7/12 2:50am
Msg #445775

Re: Thanks

In a pinch, you can probably get someone to walk you through it over the phone - but if your son is available to do it, he'll probably have it done in a flash, without the phone call... Wink I managed to install my own way back when. It's fairly simple.

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/6/12 10:57pm
Msg #445767

Ms. Joan, I installed my own modem. All I had to do was plug in the ethernet cable (yellow or blue), from the back of the modem to your desk top or laptop (laptop just for set up) and run a phone the phone cord from the back of the modem to the wall jack. Hope that helps.
Shan

Reply by Linda Juenger on 12/7/12 7:01am
Msg #445777

And Charter is charging you monthly for that modem. Go buy

one yourself and take Charter's back to them. I think its about 7 bucks a month they are charging you.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 12/7/12 2:17pm
Msg #445805

Re: And Charter is charging you monthly for that modem. Go buy

Thanks Linda I had no idea I was being charged for it. Is ATT&T a cheaper and better choice?

Charter has just gotten more and more expensive; of course I have all the bells & whistles.
Much of the cost is my own fault.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 12/7/12 7:48am
Msg #445779

I agree with Joan about buying your own. Staples or Best Buy will carry them.

For the best chance of avoiding even temporary problems, turn off your computers and, if you have one, router, change the cables from the old to new modem, power up the modem, power up the router, and then power up the computers.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 12/7/12 7:49am
Msg #445780

Oops, it's Linda I agree with about buying your own. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.