Notary Rotary
DOT
Notary Discussion History

DOT
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by CAR on 12/3/12 7:26am
Msg #445377

DOT

Does the acknowledgement on a Deed Of Trust require name exactly as the vesting? On the DOT
for my closing, it is vested with first, middle, and last name while the acknowledgment has, first, middle
initial, and last name. I've heard conflicting information regarding this. Thanks.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 12/3/12 7:28am
Msg #445378

I usually have them sign based on the 1st page (as vested) of DOT/MTG and you'll probably find a name aff in the package with all spellings which they can use when recording if need be.
If all names are not on the name aff add the proper spelling have them sign each way on the name aff.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/3/12 7:46am
Msg #445380

My rule:

Sign the way the document carries the name, notary certification tracks signature as long as you are satisfied you have properly identified signer, even though name configuration on ID may differ from configuration on document.

Reply by CAR on 12/3/12 7:52am
Msg #445381

Re: My rule:

Instructions always say sign as printed. So, if the document carries the name two ways, vesting - full name, signature line - with initial for middle name, have them sign as signature line appears? Instructions always say sign as printed.

Reply by MW/VA on 12/3/12 8:29am
Msg #445382

Of course they sign the docs as the name is printed, and

I notarize the name as it was signed. I've always been told they should match.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/3/12 1:02pm
Msg #445391

Re: My rule:

There was no issue about the name as printed. The issue was whether the <vesting> name and the acknowledgment name have to match, not the name on the signature line, which I assumed was the same as the vesting name.

Reply by LynnNC on 12/3/12 11:35am
Msg #445383

In such a case I always have them sign as typed, but it seems that it would have made sense for the lender to want an AKA sig.

Reply by CinOH on 12/3/12 11:49am
Msg #445385

Always have them sign as their name is printed under the signature line on the Mortgage/DOT.

If you have questions regarding why the vesting name is different than the signature line call the hiring entity.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/3/12 12:00pm
Msg #445386

IMO this is a question best directed to your handbook

or you SOS - since it involves the accurate completion of the acknowledgement it's a question for them. Same question we've hashed around a lot - do the signatures and the name in the docs and the name in the certificate have to match.

JMO and good luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.