Notary Rotary
Did a dumb thing, accepted a signing from a less that 3 star
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 12/17/12 11:11pm
Msg #446879

signing company because it filled a dead spot in my schedule. No docs came. Now it's pushed out to a prime spot in my schedule. Evenings towards EOM are prime. And now that I've talked with the BO (told him no signing tonight with no docs, and worked out an alternative date) I feel obligated.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/17/12 11:29pm
Msg #446882

Aren't you going to be sick on that date? Dentist appt you

forgot? Just not available due to just not being available?

No regrets....which will leave you with none?

Reply by 101livescan on 12/18/12 8:48am
Msg #446902

Re: Aren't you going to be sick on that date? Dentist appt you

Not too late to kick it back! Save yourself pain and misery.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 12/18/12 12:11pm
Msg #446930

Re: Aren't you going to be sick on that date? Dentist appt you

You guys are ripping on a three star company you 1) don't even know who it is, and 2) know nothing about. The advice you just gave to the original poster is that of a two star notary.

Original poster accepted the assignment and should follow through with it. If she doesn't want to do it now because she didn't take the time to look up the companie's rating on Notary Rotary, then the professional thing to do would be to find a replacement notary.

You guys should not overlook a company just because they have three stars. Have you read some of the comments people leave justifying their one star rating. "Offered me $65.00 for a signing.....lowballers". "E-mailed me for a closing 100 miles away....bottom-feeders". "It took 60 days to get paid".

So a company offers you $65.00 for a signing.......ask them to meet your fee.....many of them are negotiable and will meet your fee. Don't accept a closing 100 miles away. The scheduler probably didn't even realize it when they were looking for a notary to cover an appointment. And......60 days is not an unreasonable time to wait for payment from a company. Read between the lines folks. If you read that they aren't paying their notaries, or they are paying with bounced checks....well that's a different matter altogether.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/18/12 12:39pm
Msg #446932

Umm..Peg? OP said "less than 3-star"...

tells me 2.5 or lower...

Reply by jba/fl on 12/18/12 12:48pm
Msg #446935

Pegi, you are forgetting something here...

1. Said it was a "less than 3 star" SS - the OP was willing to do in a off time, but not prime time

2. OP really doesn't want the assignment now. Feeling guilty, when should not as their reputation is not of OP's making.

3. It is not OP's place to look for a replacement. How does OP know who is in the data base of the SS? these companies have their own database of already vetted notaries.

As for the rest of the information (who they are and what we know), it is not even in the mix for processing the response.

We all make mistakes while on the road, etc., and later we discover that we don't want to work for the company for whatever reason.....but it is our valid reason, no matter what you, Pegi, think. If the cancellation of the job is done in advance, it is acceptable. It is those that are taken and then ignored, as though that will teach them some kind of lesson, that is not acceptable. This does not appear to be that situation.

My comment stands as is. I will also ignore that you called me a two star notary, but will not forget until after I get the apology. What happened to your nicey-nice, let's all get along, why can't we be friends attitude?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/18/12 12:47pm
Msg #446934

Here's your main problem with this now..

Now that you've publicly stated that you don't want to give them your prime spot - it's a good chance they monitor this board so they know the truth. So what do you do?

Should have just kept it quiet and begged off. Now, IMO, you're right - you're obligated.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/18/12 2:47pm
Msg #446957

1. Non-delivery or late delivery of docs in grounds for cancellation, regardless of the rating of the hiring party.

2. If you accept an assignment without qualification, then I think you are obligated to complete the assignment. When I am on the road and unable to check Signing Central, I always tell the calling party that I will take the assignment, but if I go to SC and find negative information that will be grounds for cancellation. If they're a bad actor, they always back out at that point.

Reply by HSH/WA on 12/18/12 6:49pm
Msg #446995

Re: Good news - they cancelled. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.