Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Does anyone have experience with leasing agreement signings?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by mskip/AL on 12/2/12 9:25pm
Msg #445356

I received a call from an individual this afternoon wanting me to notarized a leasing agreement. The individual said it was just one page that needs to be notarized but it only includes a witness line ( on page 4) and it has to be notarized on page 4 of the leasing agreement. Question- can I just write the notarial certificate on page 4 of the agreement to include signature line, expiry date of commission etc..?

Reply by Roger_OH on 12/2/12 10:16pm
Msg #445359

As with any document without a certificate...

you have to ask the signer if they wish an ack or jurat certificate, and explain the difference. If they don't know, then they must ask the document originator which one they want to use.

The notary, unless also an attorney, cannot recommend or determine which certificate to use.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 12/2/12 11:35pm
Msg #445363

What Roger said...

Unless the document includes a notarial certificate, the only thing you can do is ask whether they want an acknowledgment or a jurat, and explain the difference to them. At that point, it's their call and you do whatever form they ask you to do.

There are a lot of folks who don't understand what "just needs to be notarized " means...

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 12/3/12 12:03am
Msg #445364

Like the others said, definitely ask them about the type of notarial act that they want. This is just general notary work (GNW) and pretty common fare. It many not be common for those that only deal with loan packages, though. But, for those of us who also do GNW, the type of document really doesn't matter that much... people want signatures notarized on all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons.

I think it's perfectly fine t o hand write the notarial certificate wording on the document if there is room or if you don't have a loose form to attach, or a pre-made stamp.

You may need to check with your local laws of course, but I don't see why it would be an issue... there's really no difference between you writing it out by hand vs. having it all typed up or stamps with a rubber stamp. As long as the word are there, your signature and seal are there, there's you're good, right?

Reply by MW/VA on 12/3/12 7:39am
Msg #445379

I get calls for notarizations in GNW that don't have

any notarial language on the paperwork. I got 2 stamps when I started out--one for an ack & one for a jurat. They just need to choose which one applies and I stamp accordingly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.