HELP
Notary Discussion History

HELP
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by bpn/NY on 12/26/12 11:17pm
Msg #447843

HELP

Background:
Hi I'm a mobile notary since 2010 I've notarized many documents including loan closing documents,however the documents that I've done were for local clients that were prepared with the "sign here" stickers.

In 2010 I went to a signing agent seminar and I recently purchase and studied a online signing agent course.

Tomorrow I'm doing my first edoc closing and I'm very nervous about it. My request is if a seasoned signing agent that is not busy tomorrow morning around 9:00 AM ET can help me review the documents over the phone.

If you are willing to help me please send me a private message with your phone number.

Thanks a million. Smile

Reply by CJ on 12/26/12 11:28pm
Msg #447845

1. Take your TIME on the first signing. No need to rush.

2. Show the borrower the Note, the Settlement Statement and the Right to Cancel. Let them look at those docs as long as they want. If those are correct, the rest is basically boilerplate. Let them take as long as they like. They have probably seen the docs before, and it will probably take an hour. (Whatever the title of the document is, is what the paper is basically about. You are not expected to be an attorney and explain all of those. The borrower usually has a grasp of them anyway. Let them take their time, even if they read every word.)

3. Sign the papers one at a time. They MUST sign the way it is typed.

4. If you or the borrower has ANY questions, call your signing service. Technically, you are not expected to know the answers. You will learn the answers one at a time from each signing you do.

5. Double check all the docs before you leave. Take your time.

6. If it turns out you missed one and they send you back, just have a good attitude about it and say it is no trouble at all, even if it is a TON of trouble.

Look at the papers yourself in the morning. You can put stickies on every signature and initial spot. That's what I did for my first few jobs. You'll need at least 200 stickies. Maybe cut up some post-its.

Reply by leeinla on 12/26/12 11:35pm
Msg #447848

Here is some help:

1. Call the borrower(s) and introduce yourself.
2. Call them and tell them that you are the notary public assigned to close their loan.
3. Verify that they have a valid I.D according to your state (PA).
4. Tell them that you are just a notary public and you can not provide legal or financial advice.
5. Tell them on the phone that you need some space to conduct the signing ( Kitchen table, den, etc.)
6. Ask about parking restrictions or issues with pets.
7. Go to appt.
8. Introduce yourself, setup your notary equipment ( journal, thumb print, stamp, and loan docs).
9. Give a copy of the loan docs to the borrower(s) and tell them to put it aside for now.
10. Go over the HUD with the borrower(s). The most important document to them. In most cases.
11. Start getting signatures and notarize.
12. If they offer you water, be careful and make sure that it is far for the loan docs.
13. Review the loan package three times ( it is up to you) for missing signatures and initials.
14. Thank them for the opportunity and leave.
15. Send loan package via Fedex or UPS.
16. Get paid.

Reply by bpn/NY on 12/26/12 11:43pm
Msg #447851

Thank you

Its a breath of fresh air reading the tips Smile My main fear is that I don't miss a signature or initial.

Reply by CJ on 12/26/12 11:50pm
Msg #447852

LeeInLa has great advice!

If you are afraid of missing any signatures, dates, or initials, just sticky the whole thing up. I did that three times and I had it memorized after that. Smile

Reply by bpn/NY on 12/27/12 12:04am
Msg #447855

LeeInLa and CJ have great advice :) n/m

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/27/12 11:39am
Msg #447887

Re: LeeInLa has great advice!

That's exactly what I did! I used one color for Mr. BO and one color for me! It went sooooo smooth!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/27/12 8:56am
Msg #447867

Re: Thank you

I think everyone here has missed a signature or an initial or a date at one time or another. The key is to quadruple check your packages before shipping them out, so you can get the item corrected before sending back to the title company. Double check at the table as they sign, then again at the end of the appointment. And then again in the car when the pressure is off (so if you find something you can walk back in, instead of driving all the way back, especially if it's not close!)

Reply by Budman on 12/27/12 1:04am
Msg #447857

Place the docs in front of you, then execute them one at a time. When the borrower hands the doc back to you, check it for correctness. Then start a new pile of done docs by placing it upside down beside the other docs to be signed. Do them one at a time and after you are done check the docs again before you leave.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/27/12 3:01am
Msg #447858

You got some great advice here. I can only think of a couple of things to add. One is that I wouldn't give them their copies until the signing is done. In fact, I point out to them that I brought a copy of everything to leave with them, but I intentionally leave it out of their reach until the end. The other thing is to not forget to breathe - and remember that no one is perfect, including borrowers, so like the others said, take your time and check, check, check.

Good luck!

Reply by Gregory/CA on 12/27/12 3:04am
Msg #447859

Don't forget the pesky little 'Initial Here' lines. n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 12/27/12 3:40am
Msg #447862

Re: Don't forget the pesky little 'Initial Here' lines.

If the BO should inadvertently make a mistake, i.e. getting the date wrong or signing their name incorrectly, have them cross through the error only ONCE. Then have them do it correctly. Lastly, have them initial the change.

I'll re-iterate the advice that has already been given - take your time with the BO. Rushing will only have the potential for errors to be made.

BREATHE!

Like most things, it will get easier signing by signing. Hope you will report back how you did!

Reply by bpn/NY on 12/27/12 8:10am
Msg #447864

Thanks everyone :) n/m

Reply by Pam/NM on 12/27/12 8:34am
Msg #447866

Re: Thanks everyone :)

I always either put borrower's copies in a big envelope or a large rubber band. Tell them you have brought a copy of everything they are signing for their own records and just say "and we won't need to open this package unless we make a mistake and need to swap out a page..." One of my worst signings took place when I was a newbie and let the b/o open up the package and try to match his copy page for page with the signed docs. Ugh. And remember...smile and never let 'em see you sweat. Big Smile

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 12/27/12 10:21am
Msg #447879

So true - never let 'em see you sweat...:-) n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 12/27/12 4:51pm
Msg #447923

Amen to that. n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 12/27/12 2:05pm
Msg #447899

I paper clip together the Note, DOT, RTC copies, TIL and Itemization of amount financed, and also place postit reminders on any affidavits and other documents requiring notarization. Before I leave the table, I recheck every document for signatures and dates, initials, etc.

As you're getting the signatures back, make sure they've signed the way their names appear on the documents and that they have dated properly and accurately, and that they sign on the lines over where their names are preprinted. If they don't, just have them sign on the right line. EXCEPT NOTE, DOT, TIL, RTC, ITEMIZATION OF AMOUNT FINANCED, must sign on the line where their name appears.

Hopefully you don't get a Provident Funding package, AKA picky provident, will drive you crazy and you need to watch your borrowers like a hawk and have extra copies of critical docs in case they screw up. Some people are far too unfocused, frazzled, distracted, ADD, whatever and can't seem to follow simple instructions or remember the correct date.

AND, if the borrower gets up to answer the phone, leaves your blue pen by the telephone make sure they don't come back with their favorite felt tip black, red, green, purple, or pink, pen and start signing.

All kinds of fun things to be on your toes for. On the way out, watch out for those 3" steps and high curbs that could put you in the ER for the rest of the night!

Get a flashlight!

Reply by emilysigns on 12/27/12 2:34pm
Msg #447903

I love Provident. I wish I could only do provident. Never had an issue.

Don't forget to read special instructions for ink preference, make sure you have plenty of both blue and black so everyone is consistent, and to make sure they don't want initialling on the last page of the note, 4506-T, etc.

If you make an error, you can swap the messed up form with the clean copy from the borrower's package.

Check to make sure you have plenty of RTC's to go around. At least one for the lender and two for each person signing.

Flashlight. YES. Learned that one the hard way.

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 12/28/12 5:14pm
Msg #448010

The only thing I can add is be careful discussing a signing with someone, NP or not. All of the advice offered as to procedure is general and GREAT advice. Remember your confidentiality rules and you will DO GREAT.

This group is awesome.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.