Notary Rotary
I got my new state manual from FL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 12/4/12 2:24pm
Msg #445490

I was all excited about it. Imagine my dismay to find it still has not been updated other than can charge $20 for marriage ceremony and the new SOS has their name on it now, copyrite 2003. Oh, well. Or, am I missing something?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 2:30pm
Msg #445492

And even that's wrong - you can charge what the clerks do -

$30

Also, was told it was hardbound - I don't consider cardboard cover a hardbound book - maybe I'm just too fussy.

Wishing there was something we could do - this manual really needs updating. Wish Florida would work along the lines of CA in the manual publications.

Reply by ikando on 12/4/12 2:39pm
Msg #445493

Re: And even that's wrong - you can charge what the clerks do -

Linda, at least you have a handbook. In Oklahoma, the SOS provides a booklet (which is an upgrade from the 8-1/2 x 14 brochure from previous Secretaries), which hits the highlights of the main statute. One of my concerns is that there are notary laws throughout the statutes, beyond the primary "Notary Public" Statute. I happen to have gleaned those laws over time, but I would bet that few Oklahoma notaries have done the same.

I agree it would be nice to have something like California's.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 2:41pm
Msg #445494

I remember we talked once before about OK and

I went and looked - yes, compared to you guys we ARE lucky to have the manual and the guidance that we do...

Guess I should be thankful. And I am. But cardboard is not hardcover.. Smile

Reply by ikando on 12/4/12 2:50pm
Msg #445496

Re: I remember we talked once before about OK and

Linda, with the proliferation of ebooks, maybe cardboard is the new hard cover Wink

Reply by jba/fl on 12/4/12 3:08pm
Msg #445500

And 60 is the new 40.....haha n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/4/12 3:02pm
Msg #445498

Be careful what you wish for ...

<<I agree it would be nice to have something like California's.>>

Then all you'd have to look forward to are endless arguments on NR about interpretation of this code and that code and this regulation and that regulation with the biggest, loud-mouthed bully finally winning because everybody else grew tired of arguing, thus making the bully interpretation "The Law." Or more likely notary myth, which eventually resurfaces as confusion later on, spawning even more arguments.

LOL.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/4/12 3:05pm
Msg #445499

I see those posts, and then my whole being glazes over. n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 12/4/12 3:47pm
Msg #445507

Re: I see those posts, and then my whole being glazes over.

Know exactly what you mean, Jules!

I'm in CA and any time those posts appear, I glaze over too. It's always a re-hash. Feel like screaming "C'mon folks! We have a handbook (and let's not forget the bulletin(s). Learn to read it and refer to it. Supposedly, we're adults. Learn to use common sense and, when in doubt, contact the governing body or a law firm versed in notary law."

Of course, that's just my opinion ... and, we all have one.

Reply by ToniK on 12/4/12 3:21pm
Msg #445502

Re: Be careful what you wish for ...

Exactly! I'm glad Va isn't like CA. Lol

Reply by Stoli on 12/4/12 3:09pm
Msg #445501

Good one, Goldgirl.

Fact or fiction: docs must be printed on a laser printer. Where is that written? It’s repeated as though was delivered to Moses along with the other two golden tablets, but I can’t find it in writing.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 4:14pm
Msg #445509

Stoli, that's cuz it's a lender/title requirement, not

notary law. A requirement going back to mid-90's

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 4:15pm
Msg #445510

should say Mid-90's as far as *I* remember. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 4:15pm
Msg #445512

should say Mid-90's as far as *I* remember. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 4:16pm
Msg #445513

oops..sorry...hiccups I guess.. :) n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/4/12 5:59pm
Msg #445537

Really?

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing it in writing anywhere ... at least during the past 9 years I've been doing this. I always thought it was notary myth ... along with having to sign in ball point (as opposed to gel or fountain pen, like in the good ole days). If laser printers are a lender requirement, I would have expected to see it in the closing instructions ....?

Of course, it wouldn't take long for an NSA to figure out ink jet was not going to work.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 6:18pm
Msg #445543

Back when I was with the law firm in CT...and we did

closings for local lenders (the atty WAS the title agent) - local lenders started with e-docs and they HAD to be laser printers. If you didn't have the proper equipment they dropped you from their approved attorney list.

All docs were also duplexed too when we started with it.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/4/12 6:36pm
Msg #445547

Re: Back when I was with the law firm in CT...and we did

OK, but that was one law firm working with local lenders in CT. Hardly the two golden tablets Stoli was inquiring about. It's sort of like my heretofore nonending quest to find exactly in RESPA where it says borrowers must get a copy of everything they're signing, (if it says anything at all on the subject; I've never been able to find it.) Of course, we provide copies cos that's a given on our signing intructions. But when it's up to the TCs to provide copies, there's a lot of hit'n'miss. Either they e-mail them, CD them or print out far fewer pages than in the signing pkg. So ... just curious!

BTW, that's really interesting about duplexing. Too bad that didn't catch on!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 6:55pm
Msg #445548

Yeah...duplexing...it was nice..but a real pain in the butt

when you didn't have a duplex copier and had to provide the borrowers with a copy of the SIGNED documents...ugh...my feet still hurt from time at the copier..LOL

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 12/5/12 1:16pm
Msg #445618

Goldgirl - RESPA required disclosure list

At this link, under the Index find "Required Disclosures"

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/res/respamor#HD

The complicating part is that lending & title are governed by a variety of Fed & State laws/guidelines, and RESPA only covers certain parts & pieces about what copies a borrower is entitled to receive, and when.

You are right that a TC 'borrower pkg' is often gleaned of certain documents, and nearly always a SS will tell you to copy every single page you print. The obvious reason is that a person either knows absolutely what to glean, or they don't - and if they don't, they shouldn't guess.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 12/4/12 5:57pm
Msg #445536

Re: Good one, Goldgirl.

As Linda said, it's a lender requirement.

The reasoning behind it is simple - docs printed with an inkjet can fade over time and could blur if the paper gets wet (although the newer ink technology is much better). That's because the ink is placed ON the paper. With a laser, the toner is fused TO the paper, and is therefore more permanent.

The last thing a lender wants to find when they're getting ready to foreclose is that the ink on the original documents has faded... Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/4/12 4:28pm
Msg #445516

Manuels for everything is in my DROPBOX

I have tons of notes and guides available through my Ipad, Phone, computer, etc. on Dropbox.

I started loading all that up (including notary info/guides) so that I'd have it.

Also, Google docs works well, too.

Tired of killing trees. Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/4/12 4:28pm
Msg #445517

Manuals with an A for everything is in my DROPBOX n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/4/12 4:37pm
Msg #445519

I actually got a chuckle at you having Manuel though.. :) n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/4/12 6:16pm
Msg #445540

Manuels singing Noels! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 12/4/12 6:12pm
Msg #445538

A man singing Noel to her? LOL n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/4/12 6:16pm
Msg #445541

:) n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.