Notary Rotary
Is it time to demand edoc fee be sent through Paypal
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Joeycaps on 12/23/12 3:54am
Msg #447606

Every once in a while I have a signing where the borowers refuse to sign for whatever reason.
The last time I printed out the 2 sets of docs over 300 pages and go to the home where the borowers refused to sign. ASAP signings refused to reimburse my edoc fee or my 15.00 trip fee and said I should have done more to close the loan. After arguing with ASAP signings because they refused to reimburse me the 40.00 dollars. I started wondering what if notaries started demanding the edoc fee be sent to a paypal account when we accept a signing and have our regular fee be sent to us when the signing service normally pays. This way we dont print out huge doc packages and then lose out if the signing service refuses to pay due to the borowers backing out. Food for thought. I am considering it.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/23/12 5:06am
Msg #447607

I would not continue to have any business if I did that.

However, I am very choosy which companies I work with. I very rarely work with signing servies and when I do, they must have stellar ratings in SC. And even then, I keep it very local.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 12/23/12 8:48am
Msg #447615

If you don't get paid, just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. I don't have that problem. Most of my companies pay me within 2 weeks.

Reply by Ali/IL on 12/23/12 9:51am
Msg #447622

I don't come across that too often to demand payment through Paypal.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 12/23/12 11:46am
Msg #447633

It's too easy for payers in Paypal to complain to Paypal that something was wrong with the services they paid for, and get their money back. If I suspected a company wasn't going to pay, I would tend to regard them as unethical, and most likely wouldn't do business with them because they are unethical. In the rare case where they seemed to be ethical but their ability or willingness to pay was in doubt, they would have to send me a US Postal Service money order. Of course that's slower than electronic payment; they should have thought of that before they got a bad reputation.

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/23/12 12:27pm
Msg #447637

Couple thoughts on this matter...

1. $15 trip fee is pretty cheap....questioning what was the total fee supposed to be.
2. This is a 4 star co., hard to believe there isn't something missing from your story...did you follow directions if refusal to sign? Is that their 'done more to close loan' problem?
3. "done more to close the loan"...see #2. But if that was not the issue, I'd remind them that it's definitely not our job 'to sell the loan'.

In any case, I would not ask for PayPal on doc printing but I most assuredly would pursue this matter further with the company.

In the future, it would behoove you to have your own 'refusal to sign' form that a B would complete and sign so that you have proof of performance.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 12/23/12 1:40pm
Msg #447641

If you're referring to ASAP Signing Services, Citrus Heights

then I believe is there's more to the story. Not saying you're fabricating. However, IME, Andrea and Julie have always been very fair and pay very well and timely. For instance:

example 1:
I was at a signing for a Spanish-speaking couple. Mrs.' name on docs was Jane D. Smith; her ID had Jane Doe Smith; ID signature was Jane Smith Doe; she told me and showed me several docs (including SS card) where she always signs Jane Smith Doe. I tried calling ASAP for guidance but had to leave v/m msg. (note: this has been the ONLY time I've not been able to contact someone there while at a signing) Also unable to reach anyone at TC or LO. My judgment call - continued with signing with bo signing her usual way and had her give me copies of SS card to include with docs. No one ever returned our calls that day.

Next day, get a call from Andrea saying TC would not accept as is so it's a re-sign. She apologized profusely for not being available when needed and not returning call. Didn't have to ask; she said that I would, of course, be paid for both signings.

example 2:
Had a signing thru ASAP one Friday evening. (ASAP is closed on weekends) Get a call from Friday's EO asking me to conduct a rush signing on Sunday. Tell EO I won't usurp ASAP's relationship with them. That I'll do it as coming from ASAP. Keep ASAP in the loop from there on. Proceed to borrowers' home and while presenting docs, Mr. says HUD is not correct. He calls LO who advises him to proceed and new HUD will be sent to borrowers next day. Mr. doesn't want to do that. Wants everything correct at signing. He aborts signing. I call EO and after talking to borrower, she reluctantly accepts Mr. decision to redraw. Email SS with complete details. Borrowers go to TC several days later to sign. ASAP paid my full fee.

Given the above scenarios is why I say there's probably more the OP's story. Why did borrowers refuse to sign? Did you try calling SS, TC or LO from signing table before aborting?

This is one of the few SS's I make every effort to accommodate ANY time they call me.

Reply by JAM/CA on 12/23/12 2:26pm
Msg #447648

Re: If you're referring to ASAP Signing Services, Citrus Heights

Agree with Yoli. ASAP, Citrus Heights has always been fair with me. I've worked
with them for years. Julie and Andrea have always taken care of me.

Reply by HSH/WA on 12/23/12 4:56pm
Msg #447660

Re: If you want to get paid up front (no one has done it to

date for me) don't use PayPal because they can get the money back by asking even if you take it out. Have them wire it into your acct (best to use one with no money in it).

Reply by linda/ca on 12/24/12 4:56am
Msg #447683

Joeycaps, I don't believe there is more to your story as someone suggested. I had a problem collecting from ASAP in the pass also.

Reply by janCA on 12/24/12 8:57am
Msg #447692

ASAP Signing Services is "one" of the good signing agencies. Are you sure it is ASAP signing services and not one of the other companies that have a similar name. It's hard to believe this agency would tell you, you didn't do enough to get the loan closed. it's not part of their M.O.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/25/12 8:16pm
Msg #447764

IMO, if I have to worry enough about being paid to consider use of Paypal - or some other method of payment in advance - then that's a company I'm not interested in working for. I'm also thinking that you may have the name of the company a bit confused. There are several with similar names.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 12/31/12 8:57am
Msg #448235

Set the terms for your business and payment

Clearly stipulate that eDoc fee is due and go to small claims to collect if you have to. Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.