Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just wondering if it is professional (or not) to . . .
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 12/22/12 1:24am
Msg #447463

stop at the local barista for a latte and bring it with me to a signing. These cold early morning signings cry out for an egg nog latte!!!

Most BO's offer me coffee, tea, or soda. Sometimes I partake and sometimes not. I know the risk of spillage on the docs, so I put the drink on the floor next to me.

Thanks!!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 12/22/12 1:47am
Msg #447464

I wouldn't... for several reasons.

Personally, I'm not a coffee drinker and I can't stand the smell of it. If somebody brought it in to my home, smelling up my house... I'd be pretty annoyed. On the same line of thinking, I just wouldn't bring food or drink into somebody else's home for a professional appointment unless I had arranged ahead of time to have it approved and brought enough for everyone. I think that's really the only way that would make it okay... let's say you call and say, "Since our appointment is so early in the morning, I was thinking of treating you to a coffee, tea or hot chocolate, would it be okay if I brought some along?" BTW, always offer an alternative to coffee or tea... not everyone drinks coffee and tea.

Now, if you're going to an office? It might be a little more acceptable... but eh.... I still wouldn't do it.

Now, all that said, I always have a bottle of water with me in my purse... but I never I pull it out during appointments. And, I have it because I have a medical condition wherein I am basically required to keep water with me to sip almost constantly. But, never during appointments, even when it's offered. I don't trust my coordination not to spill. But that's just me.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/22/12 2:09am
Msg #447465

Relax. You're not going to an audience with the Queen

I take my medium latte extra hot with me. It would take a really uptight borrower to object to that. If I ran across one that b!itchy, I'd probably tell 'em I wouldn't offer them any, then.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/22/12 5:42am
Msg #447474

I enjoy my coffee in the car, I would never take it into someone's house that I don't know. If it is cold when I return to my car, I finish it anyway as I do like ice coffee as well.

The last thing I want is to spill on someone's table (or floor) and having to ask someone to clean up after me or bring me the supplies to do so. I also do not take coffee to restaurants, even though mine may be better.

Reply by emilysigns on 12/22/12 5:57am
Msg #447476

I do carry bottled water, and will help myself if I am thirsty-generally during a convenient break while BO's run off to look for their HOA info or answer the phone. I'm a big girl. I can handle a quick sip and be trusted to recap properly.

As for offensiveness--I think about how I would feel if a professional came into my home. I personally would not be offended over a cup of coffee, its such a common thing these days. Nor will one cup of coffee with a lid, no less, stink up an entire home. I certainly would not expect the person I have an in-home appointment with to bring everyone in my home coffee!

I say, bring it. If you want to be cautious, ask them at the door if it is ok if you bring your coffee. If not, leave it on the porch with your shoes. LOL

Reply by Budman on 12/22/12 8:27am
Msg #447484

The other day, I noticed when I put my socks on there was a hole on the heal of one of them. I thought oh well I'll just throw them away tonight when I go to bed. Then I went to signings and forgot about it. At one house in the afternoon the woman of the house answered the door and said "we don't wear shoes in the house, do you mind?" ooops I said no and took my shoes off aranging my sock in a position to where you couldn't see the hole.

Reply by emilysigns on 12/22/12 9:52am
Msg #447498

HAHAHA. That would stress me out. I think I would be so preoccupied with hiding the hole in my sock, I would probably foob the whole thing up.

Once, I had a couple ask me to leave my shoes, no problem....but then the Mrs. gave me some questionable looking houseslippers that she REALLY wanted me to put on.

ummm....I was as nice as I could possibly be, but the thought of wearing someone else's nasty slippers really makes me uncomfortable.

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/22/12 8:21pm
Msg #447584

Ok Marian, so does Emily wear the slippers? LOL

Reply by HisHughness on 12/22/12 11:49am
Msg #447517

And always wear clean under if you're in Southern California n/m

Reply by emilysigns on 12/22/12 11:55am
Msg #447518

Re: Thank goodness I have never been asked to leave...

THOSE at the front door! Wink

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/22/12 8:24pm
Msg #447585

HAHAHA! Socks with holes?? Oh no! I would have died!! What is unprofessional is when the floor man came to my house and did a #2 in my bathroom! Now that is unprofessional!!!!

Reply by ToniK on 12/22/12 7:48am
Msg #447480

I love dunkins gingerbread latte.

I see no problem with bringing it to a BO home. Most times they offer me stuff anyways. Not every brand of coffee I like. I like a certain kind. So I usually turn it down if the BO offers any. I havent taken my beverage into BO homes because I usually drink it all before I get there.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/22/12 8:49am
Msg #447491

Professional? People in professional settings carry coffee around constantly. That would not strike me as professional or unprofessional. It's cold outside/hot outside...people drink.

But, if the notary is drinking, they drink...that's the only problem.

Reply by Art_PA on 12/22/12 10:18am
Msg #447500

Not professional. So you don't spill the coffee on the table, you spill it on the rug, or the dog bumps your hand while you are drinking, or the kid knocks it over...

Leave home earlier if you want to stop for coffee... I certainly would not want a service person bringing food or drinks to my home. They are there to do a job or to perform a service. Others obviously may disagree, but you would not ask if you really didn't know this is not an acceptable practice.

Reply by Les_CO on 12/22/12 10:24am
Msg #447504

I think it’s unprofessional. I would never walk into a borrower’s home/office eating a hot dog, or a burrito, or drinking anything. If they offer something that’s different (I always refuse). If I’m in a TC’s office I offer to get them something. I never eat or drink at the signing table. I’m there for business, not at a picnic. JMO

Reply by ToniK on 12/22/12 1:00pm
Msg #447527

Yet we conduct business where people wear pajamas, no shirt & boxers to these business meetings.

I personally wouldn't bring food but a cup o joe or hot chocolate?

Reply by Les_CO on 12/22/12 2:27pm
Msg #447539

The difference is THEY are PAYING us to be there.

Reply by Karla/OR on 12/22/12 4:43pm
Msg #447563

Great responses . . . thanks everyone!! n/m

Reply by Eve/VA on 12/27/12 9:44am
Msg #447875

Early mornings, I take coffee with me and make mention of it to the BOs. They usually laugh and make a cup for themselves. They're just glad to see me in most cases.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.