Notary Rotary
MY NEAREST RELATIVE?
Notary Discussion History

MY NEAREST RELATIVE?
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Shan/CA on 12/16/12 12:04am
Msg #446699

MY NEAREST RELATIVE?

Ok, I have used the msg button, but I didn't find any info. I researched a company and they want me to list my nearest living relative to include an address and phone number. As a newbie, am I missing something? TIA

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/16/12 12:26am
Msg #446700

Assuming you mean a signing service... Can't say I've ever seen that particular request. What it suggests to me is that the SS is so bad that the people they hire routinely have second thoughts about doing the job and so just don't or don't follow thru and the docs are never returned, they don't answer the phone or respond to anything....so the company wants some relative's info so additional pressure can be applied to find out what happened. Sounds like a good company to avoid.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/16/12 6:06am
Msg #446702

Yes, that must be it. They really need to send the gestapo to track you down and make you go to the appointment.

Yes, that is it.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/16/12 7:14am
Msg #446704

I am so gullible.

I thought that listing the nearest relative was just in case something happened to a signing agent during a signing...that they had a heart attack, or passed out. Sort of like the information that my employer has on file for me.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/16/12 9:39am
Msg #446716

I would be inclined to ignore the request for that information. Creditors ask for next-of-kin information so that if they don't hear from an obligee for a while, they have a starting point to track him down. That doesn't apply to the signing agent-TC/SS relationship.

Reply by ToniK on 12/16/12 10:30am
Msg #446722

My .02 cents NONYA

None of your damn business....lol

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/16/12 10:57am
Msg #446727

You know, I can actually see the point here of

giving this info....if you're involved in an accident that renders you unable to communicate, police at least will find docs and from there can probably trace emergency contact/next of kin for notification.

I can see this more than providing my vehicle insurance policy.

JMO

Reply by ToniK on 12/16/12 11:04am
Msg #446728

Re: You know, I can actually see the point here of

Well if that should happen the police can easily find my husband name and number in my purse/bag. My notary journal has his contact information there.

I dont have a problem giving my vehicle policy information to companies as that is a requirement and an IC in doing business as a background investigator with the Federal govt. It doesnt say much other than I am covered and the period of time Im covered.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/16/12 11:06am
Msg #446729

Then they can have a copy of my ins ID card..they don't

need a copy of the whole dec page.

JMO

Reply by ToniK on 12/16/12 11:35am
Msg #446734

Re: Then they can have a copy of my ins ID card..they don't

I agree but I never had anyone ask for a declaration page.

Reply by A S Johnson on 12/16/12 12:37pm
Msg #446739

In Texas, we do have an insurance card to so proof of insurance. BUT, any polce office pulls up you insurance information defore they address you via their computer.
P S your insurance information is public record that anybody can access, so a S S need it to protect themsleves is a bunch of hoy!

Reply by HisHughness on 12/17/12 12:28am
Msg #446764

I'm not aware that information is public, Sid. Can you direct me to how I can go about developing it?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/16/12 1:06pm
Msg #446740

I researched a company and they want me to list my nearest living relative

...as opposed to your nearest dead relative?

You need to put these idiots in your rear view mirror.

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/16/12 7:54pm
Msg #446757

RIGHT! That is too funny when the specifically say "living relative!"

Reply by Jessica Ward on 12/16/12 1:30pm
Msg #446743

Are you signing a VA loan?

I suspect that they're telling you that the nearest living relative form MUST be completed. This is the nearest relative for the borrower. Not you.

I can't think of any reason whatsoever for a company to request information about your relatives. I'm sure that is not what it means.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 12/16/12 1:47pm
Msg #446744

I was just going to post the exact same thing Jessica

This is a VA thing. It is in most VA pkgs that I have seen. This is NOT for us, its for the borrowers.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/16/12 6:41pm
Msg #446750

Re: I was just going to post the exact same thing Jessica

<<I researched a company and they want me to list my nearest living relative to include an address and phone number. As a newbie, am I missing something? >>

This seems a streeeeetch to conclude that poster is referring to the VA doc requesting the borrowers' nearest relative. No loan signer could possible read that doc and think that it was referring to the notary (and least I hope not!).

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/16/12 7:56pm
Msg #446759

Re: I was just going to post the exact same thing Jessica

Well it did!

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/16/12 7:55pm
Msg #446758

Re: Are you signing a VA loan?

No, right under the request for my DL # and exp. date, they want my nearest living relative name and number.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 12/16/12 9:46pm
Msg #446763

Shan - we're getting all confooozed!

I meant to make clear that no loan signer would look at the VA loan doc that some posters suggested is what you were looking at and think it was for the notary. Like you've said, there was a (sign-up?) doc or a notary ID doc in the loan pkg that wants the name of your relative.

In any case, that's a first! and like Hugh said, fogettaboutit! As well the request for your DL info (but that's just me). Hugh says give them all the DL info ... if you do, block out your DL number, at least.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 12/17/12 3:26pm
Msg #446823

In case they need to contact someone . . .

In case I am ever involved in an accident (car or while out exercising) and not able to respond, and because of the meds I take for Diabetes, BP, and cholestral, I got a RoadID bracelet. Mine is the interactive version, which has a link that can be found on the internet and an 800 number. I control the info that is available; it includes various means to contact my next of kin and pertinent medical info.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.