Notary Rotary
N K A
Notary Discussion History

N K A
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Jeff/Va on 12/21/12 7:37am
Msg #447344

N K A

I have a docs with Jane Doe on them which is her maiden name. Her id has Jane Smith on it. The TItle co. wants her to add N K A Jane Smith, which will read Jane Doe N K A Jane Smith. Can I notarize this legally?

Reply by Jack/AL on 12/21/12 7:58am
Msg #447346

Don't know about you, in VA. Here in Alabama, I could not, unless she has a current id showing the name for which I'll be signing acknowledgements/jurats. How could I confirm that she is Jane Smith, if she has no id to prove it. I could sign acks/jurats with her signing as Jane Smith (current name) and she could sign name affidavit/aka affidavits, in which she says that she was formerly known (FKA) as Jane Doe, now known as (NKA) Jane Smith.

Reply by Jeff/Va on 12/21/12 8:16am
Msg #447347

Thank you for your input on this. Very helpful.

Reply by MW/VA on 12/21/12 10:10am
Msg #447351

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Women change

their names more often than men due to marriage, divorce, etc. There should be a Signature/Name Affidavit in the pkg. by which she's swearing to have been known by various names. As a notary, you're not notarizing ID's--you're notarizing signatures. You have to be satisfied that she is who she says she is, nothing more, nothing less. Generally speaking, she should have something that had her maiden name on it, or a marriage certificate.
We have some latitude here in VA, so it's your call to make.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.