Notary Rotary
Obama Tax Plan
Notary Discussion History

Obama Tax Plan
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by zebbienc on 12/10/12 7:47pm
Msg #446071

Obama Tax Plan

If approved, does anyone know how the tax will afffect small business owners? Thanks

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 12/10/12 8:06pm
Msg #446074

That depends entirely on whose lies you choose to believe.

No, I am not calling Obama a liar. Congress gets to make the deals and write the bills and Obama has to sign whatever they send to his desk, or veto it.

Reply by anotaryinva on 12/10/12 8:15pm
Msg #446077

This is from the Washington Post, I may be stepping into JP territory but this is what popped up when I googled, tax plan small business which we all are and is work related.

The Washington Post has been pretty good about alerting readers as to the costs of both the Presidents Plan and the Republicans Plan to different taxpayers but they are not posted online (that I can find)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/small-business-owners-say-theyre-concerned-obamas-tax-increase-on-them-would-stunt-growth/2012/12/10/73a32a1e-4306-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html

Guess you will need to define out how 'small' your business is.

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 8:51pm
Msg #446078

If the Bush Tax cuts expire it will cost our family 1200/month more in taxes. Now for healthcare, for the last 2 years the cost of our plan has gone up, 2013 the plan has gone up 30%. Obama care was to lower the cost of my health insurance.

Reply by RonnieB/NC on 12/10/12 8:54pm
Msg #446080

I thought his plan did not take effect as yet.

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 9:10pm
Msg #446082

Nothing happens till 1.1.2013. What will happen is still up in the air. Only thing that is set is business now must provide employees who work over 30 hours healthcare or be fined starting 1/2013.

My feeling is the President will leap off the cliff and blame the opposition for letting it happen.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/10/12 9:25pm
Msg #446084

<<<Only thing that is set is business now must provide employees who work over 30 hours healthcare.....>>>

This is absolutely NOTHING new....when I was 21 working at Sears, they only hired part-timers, got rid of full-timers (forced those eligible to retire...to retire) and made sure our hours stayed under 29 hours per week - EXPRESSLY so they didn't have to pay medical. That was 25 years ago. There's nothing new under the sun.

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 9:33pm
Msg #446085

Now they are fined 2K per employee. Never were in past. n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/10/12 10:34pm
Msg #446095

My point is....that for more than TWO DECADES,.......

.....businesses have avoided paying for employee health plans by deliberately keeping worker's weekly hours under 30 and has nothing to do with Obama's tax plan. In other words, businesses won't START keeping workers hours under 30 hours per week because of Obama's plan - they've LONG been doing such ALREADY for more than two decades!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/11/12 7:20am
Msg #446113

Okay..dumb question...isn't this only for employers with

over a certain number of employees? How about someone like my boss, who has 2 employees? Isn't he exempt?

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 9:35pm
Msg #446086

Also healthcare was a perk in past

Now it is forced on any company with over 50 people.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/10/12 10:17pm
Msg #446093

Re: Also healthcare was a perk in past

I wonder how many PROFITABLE businesses could afford healthcare for their employees - but were GREEDY and didn't......hmmmmm

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 10:40pm
Msg #446096

Last time I looked this was the USA

We are allowed to start a business and make money. Healthcare was not a right it was a perk, if you don't like it then change, you could leave said GREEDY company or become the majority of people who want hand outs and do nothing for money.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/10/12 11:08pm
Msg #446100

Re: Last time I looked this was the USA

<<<We are allowed to start a business and make money.>>>

I absolutely agree with that statement. It's unfortunate that some view being healthy - getting treated for contagions, infections and viral plague is a *perk* as opposed to seing a healthy individual as a safe, and productive worker/contributor to society, *as far as health is concerned*.

I don't understand this "majority of people" who want handouts and do nothing for money. There will always be a fraction of society that is poor and downtrodden, for whatever the reason. There will also always be the lazy/shiftless, good-for-nothings....the sun shines on both the deserving and the undeserving. Rain falls on both the deserving and undeserving. That's just the way it is and the way it will always be.

If you have 30 people on a program, 15 really need the assistance and 15 are freeloaders and there are ONLY two options - shut down the entire program so no one gets assistance or the entire program stays open so the 15 in need get assistance as well as the 15 freeloaders, would you keep the program open or shut it down?

Reply by HisHughness on 12/10/12 9:36pm
Msg #446087

***My feeling is the President will leap off the cliff and blame the opposition for letting it happen.***

Just couldn't keep it non-partisan, could you, Mike? Everybody else discusses the issue from the perspective of how it will impact them. But, once again, it is the conservatives who think they have the right to pollute our work forum with this kind of partisan political crap.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 12/10/12 9:55pm
Msg #446090

Lets add this, "dont worry, the Mayans are coming back on Dec 21st." Oh well, my view is this, I will wait and see what my CPA determines what I must do. The election is over.

Reply by ME/NJ on 12/10/12 10:41pm
Msg #446097

Hugh you must be the only Democrat in Texas. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 12/10/12 11:26pm
Msg #446103

Re: Hugh you must be the only Democrat in Texas.

You, on the other hand, are part of a large company of Republicans who arrogantly think they are so much better than the rest of us that they can ignore the rules of the forum about political postings.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/11/12 1:30am
Msg #446107

This thread started out as appropriate for this forum, but I think you have crossed the line into JP with this post - and the rest of your comments belong there, as well, imo.

Reply by CentralNY on 12/11/12 4:12am
Msg #446108

I have been working since

i could have working papers and babysat prior to that so i have always paid my way. bash me if you will but the barons were never fair to workers until they were forced to be so i think we need this health care and we will adjust.

Reply by OR on 12/11/12 8:30am
Msg #446118

Re:my 2 cents

I believe as I read it Obama Care is an insurance not the care plan. Most people will have to pay for it. That is how I understand it...There are some exemptions but most everybody who does not have an employer who offers another insurance plan will need to buy the Obama care. I have never had a problem with getting health care. I have NOT had insurance except for the last 10 years. I am a grandmother now. I have never been denied health care. I did have a doctor who I have seen and paid as I needed healthcare. I am now married and my Husband has Tri Care. It is government run health care. It pays .25 cents per dollar billed. I could not work for anyone who just paid me .25 cents for every dollar I billed them. I was in New Zealand a few years back and they have a Government run plan. Anyone who can afford to buy the expensive health insurance did so that they could get into seeing a Dr as needed. Any who had government plan health care has a 2 to 3 year wait to get into seeing the Doctor because the line of people are that long. This whole Obama Care plan scares the $%$# out of me.

Reply by CentralNY on 12/11/12 9:12am
Msg #446123

what if you lost your health insurance and

had a catastrophic health emergency. lose the house, etc........

Reply by OR on 12/11/12 10:04am
Msg #446143

Re: what if you lost your health insurance and

Like I said...When I was in New Zealand the people I talked to said that It takes 2 or 3 years to get into their see your Doctor. The ER are so packed that you can't get into them for "days". That is why those who can afford it in "New Zealand" buy the expancive Health Insurance. Those are who get seen the easest and faster.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/11/12 10:23am
Msg #446145

Waiting in line to see the doctor is obviously healthy

Infant mortality rate ranking among countries of the world

New Zealand = 29th

United States = 34th

Reply by HisHughness on 12/11/12 9:30am
Msg #446129

As Art noted, the election is over

And over or not, this is not the place to hash this out.

Since some participants insist upon doing so, however, let it be noted that when the election was over, the people who won were those who realized:

1. This is the only industrialized country in the world that, prior to the Affordable Health Care Act, did not have national health care.

2. Health outcomes in those countries unformly across the board -- prenatal care, infants, adolescents, OldePhartz like me -- are far better than we find in this country.

3. The overall cost of care is also far less than we have experienced in this country under privatized medical care.

4. The cost of medical care in this country will be unnecessarily greater because shortsighted conservatives blocked the implementation of a single-payer system. Nonetheless, under the Affordable Health Care Act, the overall cost of health care will be less, millions more people will be covered, and if the experience of every other country in the world which has national health care is any indication, health outcomes will be better.

Americans who think we have the only received wisdom in the universe are sometimes just plain dumb in their denial of what other countries learned long ago. Our approach to health care has been the prime example of that; a glance at mortality tables alone will convince any sensible person that we've been on the wrong track. Thank heavens we are finally on our way to correcting that.

Reply by bagger on 12/11/12 9:38am
Msg #446135

Re: As Art noted, the election is over

If it is over, why are you belaboring this point?
Complain or take it to JP, but do NOT soil this forum with your one-sided opinions.
You have polluted JP, please leave the DW forum alone.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 12/11/12 9:52am
Msg #446138

So much for the kindler, gentler forum so many have been

advocating for.

That's what our country was built on, spirited debate!

God Bless America!!

Reply by Alice/MD on 12/11/12 1:44pm
Msg #446197

Re: Re:my 2 cents

Just because we have Obama Care INSURANCE .... does not mean that people will get quality health care. We will have health insurance for all people with less doctors and more people seeking health care.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/11/12 2:18pm
Msg #446202

***Just because we have Obama Care INSURANCE .... does not mean that people will get quality health care.***

No, it doesn't. Of course, in the more than two dozen industrialized nations that have national health care, it has meant precisely that, but hey! I would never be the one to say that people of ill will and/or Republicans could not screw up a birthday party for the Almighty.

Reply by CentralNY on 12/11/12 4:54pm
Msg #446217

do you get quality health care now?? i find most of my appt. is spent on bureaucracy protecting the dr. or patient rights, mostly the dr. and we have pretty good ins. my husband is going through a crisis right now and it has been a comedy of errors that no one addresses or cares about, status quo. can it get worse? and he ain't heavy he's my brother. we all have someone "in the system".

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/12/12 4:21am
Msg #446268

There still isn't any "plan" that has been approved. Negotiations are still going on, so there's no way anyone can know the answer to your question yet. Also, I think there will be a big difference, depending on how one defines "small business owners". Since this isn't JP, I'll leave it there on that point.

I have to say, though, that I'm astounded by how much misinformation there appears to be out there by people with strong opinions on one side or the other! (Not that I have all the answers by a long shot!) Someone says something, or mentions an opinion, usually without reference, and it becomes a widely held belief if it gets repeated enough, even if there is no basis in fact to support it.

It seems to me that in order to become better informed, we all need a wider variety of sources to learn about what's going on. Also, I think it's healthy to question the reliability of information we hear rather than accepting everything at face value. Many answers are out there, but it takes a little bit more time and effort to find the real facts. Out current society is awash in innuendo, partial truth, dissembling, and just plain disinformation. We accept that at our own peril.

I'm not going to comment on any specifics because I still believe that this discussion has gotten off the track and belongs on the Just Politics pages!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.