Notary Rotary
Question about notary stamp
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by KARA/NJ on 12/10/12 8:49am
Msg #445995

This may sound silly, but I need to ask...My commission expires tomorrow but my renewal date is also starting tomorrow. Which stamp would you use? The old or new? Not sure if it even makes a difference but I have three signings scheduled and I want to choose wisely. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 12/10/12 8:53am
Msg #445997

In Florida, I would use my current seal through the date of expiration.

Does your new seal actually have a start date on it or just a new expiration date?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 12/10/12 8:54am
Msg #445998

I don't know about NJ but in FL

We must use the stamp until midnight on the date of expiration (use exp 12/11/12 until midnight 12/11/12-then use other stamp on 12/12/12)

Reply by MistarellaFL on 12/10/12 8:54am
Msg #445999

LOL Hi Teresa ;) n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 12/10/12 9:40am
Msg #446002

I don't know the answer for New Jersey, but I can tell you an overlap is conceivable. In my state, every 4 years, assistant judges are elected. The next batch will take office February 1, 2015. When the new assistant judges start, the commissions of all the notaries appointed in the previous term expire. But we can't be without any notaries between February 1 and whenever the assistant judges get around to reappointing the notaries, so there is a 10 day grace period; notary commissions don't expire til February 10. Usually the reappointments are done during the first few days of the new term, so there is a period of about a week when two commissions are in force.

Reply by KARA/NJ on 12/10/12 9:49am
Msg #446004

The old one expires on 12/11/2012 and the new one starts 12/11/2012. I'll play it safe and just use the old one tomorrow.

Reply by Teri_PA on 12/12/12 4:53am
Msg #446271

My NJ stamp does not have the date the commission starts, but rather the date the commission expires as that is all that is required in NJ. If your stamp is the same, you use your new stamp since your commission expires on 12/12/17 based on the info you provided

Reply by hodgy on 12/10/12 10:31am
Msg #446006

Not sure I understand. Regardless of when your old one expires or when the new one expires the actual notary stamps just have an expiration date on them (at least in my state) and why would you NOT use the new one that shows it expires in 5 years rather than one that shows expiration tomorrow??

Reply by walthtz on 12/10/12 11:48am
Msg #446017

As in A credit Card or registration renewal, the new only ALWAYS trumps the one that is expiring.
The way to check is look at the Registration #. If they are the same you can use the new one.
If they are different, you need to use the old till it expires, then use the new one.

Reply by NJ_Notary on 12/10/12 12:29pm
Msg #446018

Use your new stamp so long as so you have already renewed w/

the state and was sworn in again at your county clerks office.

Reply by NJ_Notary on 12/10/12 12:31pm
Msg #446019

Re: Use your new stamp so long as so you have already renewed w/

*were sworn in . Sorry, grammar is not my friend today ! lol

Reply by KARA/NJ on 12/10/12 1:36pm
Msg #446029

Re: Use your new stamp so long as so you have already renewed w/

Thanks to all that responded.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 12/10/12 4:41pm
Msg #446055

I don't know about NJ, but that is NOT correct in WA

I called the licensing dept on my last renewal--I got the renewal several weeks early--do I start using my new expiration date or the old one--the clerk on the phone told me the new one---one very long story short, the clerk on the phone was WRONG and I had to go back and re-do a bunch of work, including recordings that were rejected. It was a HUGE hassle. Also, WA doesn't let us have two seals in the same term--so I had destroyed my old seal, and had to go have an emergency one done the next day, the for the last eight days of my commission or something stupid like that. Most infuriating experience...

Reply by NJ_Notary on 12/11/12 5:25pm
Msg #446221

Re: I don't know about NJ, but that is NOT correct in WA

In NJ its not considered two seals. Once you are sworn in again at your county clerk's office you are to utilize the seal with the new date. In essence even thou the former seal may not have expired, since you were sworn in again your seal has now changed and the former date is no longer valid. Also in the State of New Jersey you may not be sworn in no more that 180 days prior to your seal's expiration date. Being the type A person that likes to do things yesterday (a rarity in today's society lol) I made it just on the exact 180th day. I must admit, I didnt really give it thought at the time nor realize it, I was just concerned about having my i's dotted and t's crossed. The deputy clerk had to break out the calendar and have two other deputy clerk's count the days also to double and triple check. We had a good laugh about it as did my county's clerk who came in towards the end.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.