Notary Rotary
References?
Notary Discussion History

References?
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Shan/CA on 12/31/12 1:44pm
Msg #448278

References?

What do you all think? Has any company ever contacted your refs? Do you all list any? As a newbie I don't have 3. One company is asking for business or personal, so that makes me a little more comfortable. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Shan

Reply by Reggie007 on 12/31/12 2:11pm
Msg #448285

Shan, welcome to the forum and good luck in your new undertaking... I suggest you use a personal banker, a close friend, and perhaps your pastor. You will have to do this type until you do a few closings. Then use them...Send a photo also. Perhaps a resume' If after explaining to them you are new and they remain aloof, move on..you don't need them and they don't need you.

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/31/12 2:21pm
Msg #448288

Thanks! So far when companies ask for 3 biz refs, I just skip on down the road because I assumed they want companies that I have worked for.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/31/12 2:13pm
Msg #448286

The potential need for a reference is one reason I have always remained on good terms with my bookie and the local fence.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 12/31/12 2:25pm
Msg #448289

A bit of advice about offering business references to SS's:

With SS, you should provide references from other SS only.
I don't recommend providing SS's with any TC references, you may find that the SS's marketing team may pursue YOUR TC's for YOUR closings!
Beware of the practice!

Reply by Shan/CA on 12/31/12 2:57pm
Msg #448294

Re: A bit of advice about offering business references to SS's:

Thanks, good info to know!

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/31/12 4:38pm
Msg #448296

In fact, Shan/CA - that's what those are about.

They are looking to find more work for their SS.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/31/12 2:37pm
Msg #448291

My .02 FWIW

Shan, I think you understand correctly - IME when companies ask for business references they mean references of people you've worked for or done business with.

Agree with Misty - SS's get SS names, TC's get TC's - don't mix and match.

If you don't have 3, tell them that. Even if you have only one, if that one will vouch for your ability to do the job correctly, give it to them - that one is better than none. The company may be willing to accept that one - and may actually appreciate your honesty.

Your database will build eventually.

Good Luck.

Reply by Les_CO on 12/31/12 2:45pm
Msg #448293

If you stay in this work you will find that YOU are “extending THEM credit” for the work you do. (Virtually none pay in advance!)You should be asking THEM for references. That’s what I do. I’ve been in business for 30 years, some of these flakes started last week. I get steady work from good companies. If I can you can. If they want references, tell them to pay D&B for a check on you. Then laugh when off the phone.JMO

Reply by HisHughness on 12/31/12 6:02pm
Msg #448309

I don't understand this response

First,I would never assume that ALL inquiries come from deadbeats. Second, references have been a part of the business world since time immemorial, in virtually every context imaginable. There is no reason they should not be used in our industry.

Or maybe the entire response was tongue in cheek, and I'm just reading it too literally.

Reply by Les_CO on 12/31/12 6:30pm
Msg #448312

Re: I don't understand this response

No! You read and apparently understood my response correctly. I say this NSA business is unique, and because of its unusual it’s nature a great deal of ‘trust’ is involved. Also this business just begs for unethical thieves to take advantage of those that are trusting, and it is rife with both. If work for someone on a ‘promise’ they need to PROVE their ‘promise’ or word is good. When they trustingly work for me, or extend me credit, I will supply references. When they ask me to work for them on the ‘promise’ of getting paid (someday) they need to give me a list of those that have done so in the past and have been paid. All others can call someone else.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 12/31/12 7:27pm
Msg #448317

When giving references I do the same thing SS to SS and TC to TC. And yes some comapnies will check references. I received an email a few weeks ago from a SS with the nice reference he had sent along to a company that I had used him for..That was really nice of him to do that..So yes companies do check!

Reply by MikeC/TX on 12/31/12 8:24pm
Msg #448320

I think you and Hugh are both missing the point Les was trying to make - you provide references to businesses that will extend you credit. If you are extending credit to them (which is what an NSA usually does), THEY are the ones who should be providing references to you. You want to make sure you're about to work with a company that will pay its bills.

They're asking you to work for them; you have no way of knowing whether you will be paid unless they can prove to you that they have a history of doing that by providing references. Les is spot on with his comments.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/31/12 8:52pm
Msg #448324

The "extension of credit" is only one aspect of the relationship between a TC/SS and the NSA. And even that rationale falls when examined closely. Subcontractors routinely "extend credit," if that is what you wish to call it, by doing work and then invoicing for payment. Paving contractors do it; computer consultants do it; interior designers do it. And providing references is routine for all of them.

Far more crtical than that aspect is that the TC/SS is sending someone into a borrower's home sight unseen. They have almost unlimited potential liability. Under those circumstances, the failure to ask for references can be construed as gross negligence.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/31/12 9:06pm
Msg #448325

"They have almost unlimited potential liability. Under those circumstances, the failure to ask for references can be construed as gross negligence."

Under most circumstances I would agree, but in this instance...I have to say this. AS IF the SSs that are asking for references know what that term "gross negligence" and the word "liability" means...or, cares. I would be surprised if they had any interest in protecting any interests except scooping someone else's clients.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/31/12 9:07pm
Msg #448326

"means...or, cares."

Don't need the Ss.

Reply by HSH/WA on 12/31/12 10:23pm
Msg #448328

Re:At this stage send them what signing references you

have and don't worry about someone stealing something. It won't be long before you have 3 signing companies you've worked for. The SS is giving you a job and they have a right to ask if you can do it. If you haven't done a BG check get one and that will help the SS feel OK to send you out. I have a standard package I send out along with their signed contract and it contains all the stuff they might ask for including W9, BG, Driver's license, Bond, E&O and copies of my notary licenses etc. You're here to make money, provide what they need and grow your business. Write up good resumes on this and other sites and change them every 3 months or so. This will get you noticed and called.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/1/13 10:33am
Msg #448349

I would again remind Hugh that in my opinion our Notary Signing Agent business is unique. Yes, I agree that many ‘sub-contractors’ “extend credit” when working for others…..but most of them have recourse if they are not paid, by virtue of a (usually written) contract, or the power to lien, and most are doing business within the same State. I would also agree that we should supply certain assurances to those that trust us with the information of others, and our ability to do the job requested. This could include a short resume of the jobs we have done, and a copy of our commission, or licenses if any, our criminal background check, a copy of our bond, and/or our E&O insurance. We as a group have pretty hefty credentials as compared to most Signing Services, and many Title Companies. Most Title Companies must meet some regulations, as required by their individual States, but many are ‘self-insured’, and offer no guarantee other than their word that we working (or sub-contracting) to/for them will be paid for our work. Most of us work without a signed contract. Most SS are totally unregulated, needing no license, insurance, bond, or credit. Many work interstate, making any collection of debt virtually impossible. So the question is….. do these guys need references from us that are commissioned, licensed, bonded and insured and that have passed a criminal background check, or do we need references from them? If you want to send them a complete list of all your customers please do so. Me…. I work for whom I please, and at my terms, all others can call someone else.JMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.