Notary Rotary
Sources for GNW
Notary Discussion History

Sources for GNW
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by NVLSlady/VA on 12/17/12 4:42pm
Msg #446838

Sources for GNW

I unfortunately, took a "shortcut" earlier , piggybacking off another thread . . . If any are doing GNW, are Hospitals and Nursing centers included in your marketing route? If so, is there a Right and a Wrong way to prospect?

Reply by ikando on 12/17/12 6:54pm
Msg #446850

I try to become friendly with the patient coordinator (which title is varied), the person who tries to make the patient's stay more tolerable for them and their family. Some hospitals may have one on each floor/wing. Others have one for the whole facility. The same at nursing/assisted living facilities.

And don't forget to connect with the admissions office. Sometimes they have a notary, but oftentimes not. And the business office sometimes needs help also.

Reply by Roger_OH on 12/17/12 11:35pm
Msg #446883

Increasingly, hospitals and retirement facilities are no longer providing notary services to patients/residents, for fear of liability. This is especially true of advanced directives, financial POAs, and estate docs.

So a thorough familiarity with those docs can lead to a good relationship with these facilities, and a steady stream of business. Talk with the nursing home administrator or social services staff, and advise them of your availability to serve their their populations.

While most requests are fairly routine, be aware that some scenarios can be difficult, heartbreaking, and even contentious between family members in a stressful situation.

You need to be certain that the signer is aware of what they are signing, and that they are doing so freely.

There are many other ways to get a lot of GNW. The best resource I've seen over the years is the Laura Vestanen book, "How to Market Your Non-Loan Notary Services".

A good way to get your name out is to join your local Chamber of Commerce, where you will likely be the only mobile notary service in their local directory. They have various activities, open houses, luncheons, and networking events. You dues are tax-deductible as a business expense.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 12/18/12 10:27am
Msg #446917

I had a friend who worked in mental health and she gave this sage advice (which is often pretty hard to follow): Distance yourself from patient situations.

She was a very kind person; so I perceptively understood her to mean: While I'm with them for those few minutes I'm not their Friend - I'm their Doctor. I imagine she would have burned out from day 1 if she didn't have such a pragmatic approach to her profession . . . of course, the other side of the coin is the COLD stalwart healer handing you paperwork and saying, "sign this" or "you have 3 months" (said in my deepest, most serious, unnattached voice).

What I'd like to know is, should administrators or staff be used as (neutral) Witnesses to ensure against family or friend interference, or as a liability precaution?

p.s. I've seen the Vestanen book mentioned here in the past (maybe by you, Roger). Not too tech when it comes to getting books "off the page", but maybe I should kindle this one Smile

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 12/18/12 10:27am
Msg #446918

I had a friend who worked in mental health and she gave this sage advice (which is often pretty hard to follow): Distance yourself from patient situations.

She was a very kind person; so I perceptively understood her to mean: While I'm with them for those few minutes I'm not their Friend - I'm their Doctor. I imagine she would have burned out from day 1 if she didn't have such a pragmatic approach to her profession . . . of course, the other side of the coin is the COLD stalwart healer handing you paperwork and saying, "sign this" or "you have 3 months" (said in my deepest, most serious, unattached voice).

What I'd like to know is, should administrators or staff be used as (neutral) Witnesses to ensure against family or friend interference, or as a liability precaution?

p.s. I've seen the Vestanen book mentioned here in the past (maybe by you, Roger). Not too tech when it comes to getting books "off the page", but maybe I should kindle this one Smile

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 12/18/12 10:35am
Msg #446919

sorry . . . rural connection Slow n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 12/18/12 11:42am
Msg #446924

Laura's book can be had from Amazon. I don't know that it is Kindle ready, but worth a look.

Re: witnesses if needed: Most hospital settings will not let their staff witness. Usually friends do come to witness. Don't use family at these times - you just don't know how extensive the family is and what kind of arguments may ensue. These people do understand.

My last last-stage cancer patient had 3 friends of 40+ years come along with a couple of the patient's adult kids. Friends witnessed, mostly with stories of their lifetime together and everyone was so happy to have this time together to reminiscence and laugh together. As luck would have it, we all arrived at the parking lot at the same time, walked in together and then all left together. This was probably their last party together; it was grand and I was so privileged to be there.

These are cherished moments in my career and I hope that you will find the same rewards. I am able to keep my emotions in check and be of good cheer. It is a skill you can develop.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 12/20/12 10:36am
Msg #447210

Nice experience.

Last thing I want at my final "goodbye" is a pity party. It's not quite the same, of course when something sudden/unexpected happens (no time to prepare for the loss). That's another reason I think to consider the service we provide as valuable; we can be good resources for people when they really need us most.

Once I picked up a 'Planning Guide' at a funeral. It's been several years ago, but I still have it! And what a good idea to leave potential clients with a way to write, organize and prepare final arrangements-- to take a little of the stress away during such painful difficult times.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.