Notary Rotary
Split closing
Notary Discussion History

Split closing
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by lindab on 12/30/12 6:27pm
Msg #448181

Split closing

I am doing the second half of the closing which I haven't had to do before. Since I won't see the documents until they are shipped from the other notary I am a little unclear as to how I handle this. Do I just attach an acknowledgement with each page that I witness the second borrower's signature? Help please. I have done split signings before but I have always been the "first" notary. Thanks!!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 12/30/12 6:36pm
Msg #448182

sometimes the first notary will attach the certs and leave the original certs for the second notary to use. Otherwise, just complete and attach the loose certs. Now, if you are using the original certs, make sure that only the second signer's name is on there. If both names are there, just line through and initial the first signer's name.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 12/30/12 6:40pm
Msg #448184

If there is no available (blank) notary certificate where notarization is required, yes, you would attach a loose certificate that is State-compliant.

For example, I am in California and I am the 2nd part of a split signing. When docs arrive, if, for example, there is no State-compliant Acknowledgment with Deed of Trust, I would attach a California-compliant Acknowledgment. Your borrower will sign the original signature page and you will complete your notarization on the attached notary certificate.

If this is a refi on primary residence and there is NORTC, your borrower will date the date s/he is signing with end date being 3 business days later. ie. Betty Sue signs and dates on 1/2/13 and end date is 1/5/13.

Hope this helps!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/30/12 6:48pm
Msg #448186

I did one last month for LSI - I was the first notary. LSI instructed me to print an extra acknowledgement page for the second notary to use on the docs that required notarization. I did that and included in the package. I also printed extra RTC's and TIL for the second signer, as well as HUD, First Payment Letter and Note. They didn't pay me extra to print a second copy package so I limited to those docs.

Reply by lindab on 12/30/12 6:51pm
Msg #448187

Thanks everyone!!! LSI is the company so I will see what actually shows up. Would be nice if first notary makes the copies that I need.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/31/12 2:05am
Msg #448215

Yoli made a very good point about the RTC dates. I've seen a very few lenders include the date of the end of the rescission period for the second signer for both borrowers, but that's not normally the case. So it's possible that each borrower will have a different rescission period. Just be sure that the RTC forms your person signs (if applicable) give him or her a full 3 business days from the date your signing takes place, regardless of when the first person signs.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/30/12 7:00pm
Msg #448188

Don't over analyze. It doesn't matter if your the first, second, or seventh notary. The acknowledgment/jurat certificates are dated for the day the signer(s) appear before you. The certs are compliant for your state and only contain the names of signer(s) that appear before you. It's no different than any other notarization.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.