Notary Rotary
Tax Preparers
Notary Discussion History

Tax Preparers
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by chucke/fl on 12/19/12 9:35pm
Msg #447159

Tax Preparers

Are there any signing agents out there that also work as tax preparers during tax season?
If so, how do you balance the two jobs?

Reply by John Tennant on 12/19/12 11:40pm
Msg #447169

What do you mean by "balancing" the two jobs?

Reply by sueharke on 12/20/12 12:07am
Msg #447171

I am a CPA and mobile notary who will do real estate signings. I prioritize the type of work between tax returns and notary signings. This year may not be as hard to decide which service to provide as the tax laws are still undefined and the start of tax season is unsure at this date. Personally, given a choice, I will do a tax return over a notary signing since I am independent for each type of service. I find the chance to save a client money on his or her tax return is more satisfying than a notary signing (this includes tax planning to move money into 2012 from 2013 to pay less taxes). With a notary signing common issues of no docs, late docs, cancelled signings, etc for the pay is not as satisfying as saving a client a lot of money on his or her taxes.

Now the other side of discussion. The notaries that are full-time professional IC with a consistent list of clients, would probably find more pleasure performing notary services. I respect the notaries who are in this group and love learning from their experience to be a better notary.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 12/20/12 7:24am
Msg #447183

Multi tasking and prioritizing.

For twelve years Ive been a real estate licensee, (also did a bit of auctioneering) Signing Agent and insurance inspector. During the first four years I also was substitute teaching at two school districts and a litttle bit of college level teaching too. You do have to prioritize when doing all that.

During the warmer season of the year I enjoy going out on my 26 foot cruising sailboat too but I have to 'make time' for that activity. I begin the day checking local and national news and a brief look at the stock market movements. Some of my friends tell me I need to slow down. I ask them why and never get a good answer.

When asked how I am feeling, my favorite response is "H--- I don't know, never been this old before."

Reply by EileenHI on 12/20/12 11:01am
Msg #447212

I work for a tax preparation company during tax season. It takes a lot of time actualy throughout the year, especially this year with the IRS test to study for and pass, and the continuing education requirements. I set my tax schedule as only 9-5 on weekdays for them. I let my best clients know that for that time period I will mostly only be available for evening and weekend work, until the tax office slows down and my tax schedule gives me days off during the week. At the end of tax season I contact my clients and let them know I am again available daily for closings. It worked very well for the last two years and I am hoping it works well again this year.

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 12/20/12 1:43pm
Msg #447246

I'm an Enrolled Agent and have been doing taxes for 25 years. My tax and bookkeeping business keeps me quite busy from Jan 1 to Apr 15, and I don't take many loan signings during that time. I do try to accommodate my best TCs and SSs, mostly in the evenings, so I don't lose their business completely. As tax season slows down, I take on more signings. Tax season never actually ends, though, as Sue can tell you. We have clients on extensions until Oct 15, then there are the inevitable stragglers that come in even after that. Then it starts all over again in Jan. Although we can't E-File until at least Jan 25th this year, there are still W-2s and 1099s to prepare, year-end bookkeeping to finish, etc. Also, there are so many unresolved issues with the tax laws this year, the commissioner has warned that tax season may not even start on time. Sheesh!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.